Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Other green veggies for chips? page

Other green veggies for chips?

Primal Fuel
    I've had kale chips, but as the only kale I can get is already chopped the pieces arent big enough to use for dipping in things.
    Has anyone tried with anything else?

Angieh is offline Senior Member
    I've made kale chips a few times in the last month or so and loved the taste and texture, but they were definitely way too thin and flimsy for dipping anything regardless of what size they were (unless I did something wrong). What works best for dipping for me is red pepper strips or celery or a few almond crackers. I found the recipe somewhere on here, and it couldn't be easier:

1 c. almond meal
    1 egg white
    a bit of salt

stir until well mixed. place parchment paper on cookie sheet, then dough, then top with another piece parchment and roll out very thin with rolling pin. Remove top parchment and score with knife. Bake at 350 for around 8-10 and break apart. They look like wheat thins but taste better. I topped some wth a bit more kosher salt and a bit of snipped rosemary and garlic powder (can vary however you like it). Without the parchment paper, these are an impossible sticky mess - do not attempt without.

almostGrok'd is offline Senior Member
    Not a veggie chip but found this recipe via some friends from the forumthermomix.com site.
    http://www.elanaspantry.com/rosemary-crackers/

Ingredients are:
    1 cups blanched almond flour
    teaspoon celtic sea salt
    2 tablespoons fresh rosemary, finely chopped
    1 tablespoon olive oil
    1 egg

Have yet to try them but I've been looking for a 'cracker' replacement and I think these might just fit the bill.

Rivvin is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by almostGrok'd View Post
    Not a veggie chip but found this recipe via some friends from the forumthermomix.com site.
    http://www.elanaspantry.com/rosemary-crackers/

Ingredients are:
    1 cups blanched almond flour
    teaspoon celtic sea salt
    2 tablespoons fresh rosemary, finely chopped
    1 tablespoon olive oil
    1 egg

Have yet to try them but I've been looking for a 'cracker' replacement and I think these might just fit the bill.
    I've made this recipe before. If I had to compare them to something, I would say they are most like Rosemary Wheat Things from when I used to eat those.

Make sure they are thin, otherwise they don't get crispy and just stay soggy.

Helen in Oz is offline Senior Member
    I find a spoon works pretty well. (really).

batty is offline Senior Member
    zucchini chips [cheese not necessary]
    eggplant chips [again, cheese optional]

and these are obvs not veggie, but another good alternative is cheese crackers.

HANDS OFF MY BACON :: my primal journal

kitana is offline Senior Member
    I made beet chips and got absolute RAVE reviews. I also tried turnips, and while they had a good texture - the beets won hands-down. Even the non-primal folks chose them over potatoes.

I thinly sliced them with a mandoline slicer, lightly sprayed them with oil, laid them on baking sheets, and roasted at 375 for ~20-30 minutes. Then I put them on wire racks and put them back in at ~275 for another 30 minutes. The first roasting concentrates the flavors in the beets, the second dries out the chips and makes them crunchy. I have a convection oven - so those times are with convection.

edted to add: the chips held up beautifully to my extra-thick tzatziki sauce.
    Last edited by kitana; 06-22-2010 at 12:24 PM.

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    endive works really well too.

the beet chips sound wonderful. I really need a mandoline slicer.

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

Marisa is offline Senior Member
    While not green, I've always love crispy sliced jicama (in a chip shape or french fry type shape). Just the right amount of sweetness too. I really need to try dehydrating some one of these days. It's great with a plain yogurt that's sweetened with mashed berries or mixed with savory spices

Quote Originally Posted by cillakat View Post
    the beet chips sound wonderful. I really need a mandoline slicer.
    Don't be like me and not use the hand guard. My last (but not first) encounter with mine involved a trip to the emergency room and a very small slice of my middle finger missing!

Rivvin is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    I just bought one of these last week... I love it.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ef=oss_product

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast