Thread: Thoughts on mid-night workouts? page

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member

Thoughts on mid-night workouts?

My work schedule is generally 4pm til 1, 2 or 3am. I'm finding my motivation to get up and go to the gym in the morning (or even afternoon) to be almost non-existent. I generally avoid the gym between certain hours (like lunch time) because it's packed. Plus I hate showering and dressing at the gym, so going right before work is a headache. I hate the anxiety of worrying I'm going to be late.

I've been considering going after work, since I belong to a 24-hour gym. On work nights I'm not getting to bed before 3 or 4 anyways. The night is already shot and I'm apt to sleep until noon.

Does anyone work out at such an unusual hour? Any thoughts on pros/cons? I know it's not the normal time to do it, but would it actually do any harm? My job isn't all too physical, save for a lot of walking and standing. Occasionally I have to help move kegs, but nothing crazy. I'm finding my most "awake" hours are after 8pm now that I've been on this schedule for more than a month.

Thoughts?

When I worked nights, I had a particularly productive streak of exercise when I was going at 2am. Loved being there alone. I could set-up circuits and all sorts of stuff.

So...yeah...have fun.

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Just sounds cool as hell. So I vote for do it.
    The Champagne of Beards

Jefferson1775 is online now Senior Member
    There's nothing wrong with working out at midnight. You'll adapt to it. Try it out a few times. There probably won't be anyone there, so it could be pretty awesome.
    In matters of style, swim with the current. In matters of principle, stand like a rock.

This message has been intercepted by the NSA, the only branch of government that listens.

Reventon is offline Senior Member
    Used to belong to a 24 hour gym.

Quiet hour workouts rock the casbah.

Go forth and lift.

Fury22 is offline Senior Member
    As everyone said, it doesn't really matter. You will adapt to just about anything. If that's a good time for you then go for it. Plus the gym being empty is a plus. You will be leaving just as the morning crowd is getting there.

At one point I would wake up at 4am and train at my house before going into work around 6:30. Once you adapt it will be like clock work.
    Check out my blog!

http://easternstrength.blogspot.com/

I like to throw, squat and pull heavy things for fun.

We're designed to be hunters and we're in a society of shopping. There's nothing to kill anymore, there's nothing to fight, nothing to overcome, nothing to explore. In that societal emasculation this everyman is created. ~David Fincher, director of Fight Club, interview with Gavin Smith, "Inside Out," Film Comment, Sep/Oct 1999

guitarfan85 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I used to workout at all hours including past midnight there's nothing wrong with it. I work 3 to midnight now but I lift before work instead. It makes me feel better about therest of the day