Thread: Butter quality page

Uselis is online now Member

Butter quality

I have access to buy butter from farmer though I don't know if it's any different from the one in supermarket. I googled some stuff and it seems more like gold colour and mine's a bit more white. How to know if that stuff is good for me? What to ask farmer about it?

Thanks for patience

noodletoy is offline Senior Member
    ask if it's grass-fed, does he give the cows regular antibiotics and/or hormones. color can be manipulated.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

Uselis is online now Member
    I hope a guy open enough to admit if he gives antibiotic for his cows

To not create a new thread will ask just here:

if say I am not sure about butter quality is using coconut oil (unrefined virgin) or decent quality lard would be better? Somehow from reading forum I got impression that butter is pretty much on top of the list as fat goes.

Graycat is offline Senior Member
    Extra virgin coconut oil > butter IMO, however less versatile.

I never use lard or duck fat, but that's just me.

catgirl320 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Graycat View Post
    Extra virgin coconut oil > butter IMO, however less versatile.

I never use lard or duck fat, but that's just me.
    I've been experimenting with french recipes, except using coconut oil instead of butter. I 've been very pleased with the results. It works just as well for nice sauces, and it's awesome for searing meats and then finishing them in the oven. A splash of olive oil cuts down on the coconut flavor (or you can use refined).

Sent from my MOTWX435KT using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

noodletoy is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    if you're buying directly from a farmer, hopefully he will be honest with you. if not, walk away.

there is good lard and crap lard. do not buy the hydrogenated stuff in the supermarket. if you're buying or rendering lard you want it to be from grass-fed animals.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway