Thread: Girl Groks- "Grokettes": feedback, advice, suggestions on primal living & weight loss page

ChefML is offline Junior Member

Question Girl Groks- "Grokettes": feedback, advice, suggestions on primal living & weight loss

Shop Now
    Hi,

I'm just getting back on the band wagon, as last time I tried this was just before the holidays and well, I fell off the wagon- hard.

I'm 35, have had issues with hormones, need to lose 30-40 lbs at least, have a reconstructed knee and a bad back.

I have a feeling that women might need to approach this diet a little differently than the guys- maybe more fish, less protein/fat overall, higher amounts of veggies, less fruit and nuts in order to lose weight.

Can any women tell me if my instincts are right on that?
    Can you share how you've approached this diet and how well it's worked for you?
    Are you losing weight?
    How hard/how are you working out?

Any input is great, thanks!

betty74 is offline Senior Member
    Hi! I also am 35. I have had issues with my hormones since 26, but currently trying diet, herbs, acupuncture to treat. I started losing weight in Dec. 2008. I am 5'5'' and at that point was my highest ever at 178. I currently weight between 146-149, my weight fluctuates daily. I lost all the weight doing South Beach, Weight Watchers and Eat Clean Diet. I started doing the Primal Diet about 2 months ago and while I haven't lost any weight I haven't gained any either. I would like to get to 135, but my mini goal was 145, which seems to be impossible for me. I carry my weight in my butt and thighs, which seems very hard to shed weight or inches from that area.

I am going to try to eat a bit less fat for the next week and see what happens. I have been keeping my fat high, protein fairly high and carbs low (only from veggies and berries) with no results. I will admit that I adhere more to the 80/20 than 100%. Some will say that is the problem, but this is a lifestyle not a diet and I do not have iron willpower.

I was doing the p90x program when I started, but stopped as I was having difficulty getting through it and the recovery was very poor. I was at 7 weeks in the program so not new to it, but having difficulty while low carb. I am currently walking and doing kettlebells.

Not sure I said anything helpful there, but that is my experience so far.

Thanks Betty74! May I ask what made you quit the Eat Clean diet, etc and come here?

elorajade is offline Senior Member
    I've had PCOS in the past and definately IR, so I too have hormone issues.

Once I talked to one of the more successful people on here who have lost weight and another local expert here with the supplements, I started to loose after getting on the wagon and falling off multiple times.

If you have hormone issues, you will likely need to keep carbs very low (5%). Fat high (70-80%) and the rest protein.

I've been supplementing with Vit D, fish oil and Krill oil (helps to stabalize hormones), b12 (I have energy issues) and a b100 complex, as well as a whole mess of other stuff.

Once I knocked carbs down low and ate more fat (if I didn't have increased fat, I wouldn't loose squat) I started to see the scale move downward. I felt like the churchlady from SNL screaming "its a miracle!!!" So far I've lost 17lbs in total. I did have some weight loss before I went so low with the carbs, but it was like 1lb every two-three weeks. Too slow. Since I went VLC, its more like 1-2lbs a week.

I'm currently not actively working out, but my life is one big workout between two kids, house rennos, a business and everything else that goes into day to day life. I will be starting a weight routine once my husband settles in. He's just returned from overseas, so there is an adjustment period for him, especially because I've changed our diets. LOL!

Thanks, Elorajade. I had many issues when I was young (22) that ended in me having a hysterectomy. I still suffer from ovarian cysts and am convinced that if it'd been more prevalent at the time, I'd have been diagnosed with PCOS.

I'll try that. I'm also going to hit the weights hard, and see how that helps.

groquette is offline Senior Member
    I'm 33 and my approach has been mostly meat, eggs, and veggies; LOTS of fat, occasional fruit and occasional nuts (not a fan of them, but every couple of months I feel like a handful of macadamia nuts or cashews). I almost don't eat fish, but that's just because I can only stand it if it is extremely fresh, as in pulled out of the ocean or river hours before consuming. The first few months I didn't eat much in the way of veggies, because I was pretty sick of them. I slowly phased them back in after about 3 months of mostly meat.

My weight loss has been nearly 50 lbs in 10 months. I expect to lose another 20 or so pounds before my weight stabilizes.

I didn't cut out dairy for the first 9 months or so, but I have cut back a good deal on that (still have some heavy cream now and then, and a bit of cheese here and there, meaning several times a week in moderate amounts).

I don't count anything. No calories, no ratios, no carbs. I haven't the slightest idea how much I eat, except that I basically eat when hungry until full.

I also didn't exercise at all for the first 9 months. I'm not against exercise, I think it is super important for health (but not super important for weight loss). I started walking a lot about a month ago, because I felt like it (wasn't so tired anymore).
    Last edited by groquette; 06-20-2010 at 12:42 PM.

betty74 is offline Senior Member
    I still Eat Clean, but I cut the grains. I was told that I am gluten intolerant and possibly dairy so I was searching the web for diet books and came across this. I still struggle with wanting the grains, but I do know they don't sit well with me. Not entirely sure on the dairy, but mostly use coconut milk or goat products. I thought the dairy was an issue, but recently had milk in the form of latte and was okay. Still I like goat cheese so I mostly just stick with that.

Good luck

AuH2Ogirl is offline Senior Member
    I don't count anything either - I'm almost 41. Lost 20-25 lbs initially, now am not losing weight but definite body changes. I eat high fat, fish only once or twice a week, more dairy than most here, and have to admit my veggie intake is pretty low.

Puddymama is offline Senior Member
    I'll be 37 next week. I've lost 13 pounds in two weeks - no dairy at all, no grains. I've been eating high fat, high protein and lots of veg with a little fruit. I've been working out 3-4 times a week - 15 minutes of sprints, 20 minutes of weights as heavy as I can do them. I feel fabulous and my hubby told me tonight that my belly looks much flatter. Overall, this has been life changing for me.

Mel
    Mel is offline Member
    I'm 28 and have been primal since February. I've lost 18 pounds and went from a tight size 12 to a comfortable size 6. I walk every morning with my husband and our dogs for an hour and then we lift weights (modified p90x at 1.5 speed) or do a sledge hammer work out 2-3 times a week (on weight days we also do abs). I used to count calories and macros on myfitnesspal, but have since stopped as it is too much work (i do recommend it at first, however, to get a good feel for what you like to eat and how it looks for carbs/fat/etc). Currently I just make sure that I give my husband a little more of everything than I eat to make sure that he's getting what he needs. I supplement with protein even on days when i don't work out - if i feel i haven't had enough meat that day. we eat eggs and meat for breakfast or else a homemade protein/coconut milk smoothie, then salad with meat, or left overs for lunch and then veggies and meat for dinner. we've been really upping our fat lately and watching our carbs a little more. i'd say I average about 30 carbs per day with 4 servincgs of protein and the rest of my day is filled with fat. we've cut out dairy except for in our morning coffee. we've even started doing shots of coconut oil to get our fat levels where we want them - if you try this, i would recommend starting with small amounts and working your way up...starting with too much can lead to intestinal distress. we ate quite a bit of nuts in the beginning, as snacks at work, but now the longer we're primal, the less hungry we are - some days i don't even eat my lunch (last week i took the same lunch 3 days in a row before i finally ate it) ...which i still think is weird, but i'm not going to complain if my body wants the spontaneous IF. I hope this contained a little bit of information that will be helpful for you!

Good luck with everything!
    A goal without a plan is just a wish.