Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Terrible sleep, constant nightmares? page

HarlequinHare is offline Junior Member

Terrible sleep, constant nightmares?

Hi all,

I saw the sleep hack thread down there and I think I'll try a few tips from it...but I wanted to start a thread about this specifically: nightmares.

Since going Paleo, I've had horrendous sleep every single night. Restlessness and horrible dreams. I'm getting more exercise than I have in years, eating right, doing all the things which normally precede a good night's sleep.

I've also taken to blacking out the room, avoiding blue light before bed, sleeping with a mask, and sleeping with sound machines/meditation apps.

Oddly, I'm actually feeling a lot *less* stressed out than I ever have in my life. I don't know what gives! My entire life, my dreams have almost always been good ones. Nightmares were very rare, even during the darkest times in my life.

Has anyone else here dealt with and possibly found a solution for sudden drop in sleep quality?

Thank you so much, in advance.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    What are you eating and what are you not eating?

Markbt is offline Senior Member
    I've heard good things about having a little bit of honey before bed. Maybe the nightmares are your brain working through some stuff now that it is working properly.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

paleodog is offline Senior Member
    Perhaps carb/sugar withdrawels?

MarielleGO is offline Senior Member
    Nightmares are a minds way to deal with stresses. While most of the time they seem stupid, scary and so not in line with your day to day life, they always can be tracked back to a certain event or fear you have.
    With eating differently your body is able to sleep better, thus go into a deeper state of sleep. Your mind get more time and chances to come up with nightmares.
    I have them regularly but I dream very vivid anyway.

I found out that getting into your "happy-place" shortly before sleeping helps. So you could try reading a love story or a comedy before going to bed or like I do, when in bed, start day dream about something you really enjoy. for example that dream holiday you want to do on, or about that one person you wish you could be with… just something that makes you all fuzzy and happy…

(I'll tell you, it even works in the dentist chair.)
    My story, My thought....

It's all about trying to stay healthy!!!!

Calories? Aren't that those little creatures that live in my closet and shrink my clothes at night?
    AN EARTH WARRIOR!!!!

YvonneJean is offline Junior Member
    Another idea to try is taking a bit of unmodified potato starch before bed (see the resistant starch thread in the nutrition forum). I am up to 1 tablespoon before bed, and my sleep is a bit more regular, with less stops and starts. Many also report more vivid dreams.

tomas is offline Junior Member
    I'm having the same problem. I'm on my fourth day primal, and every night i'm dreaming something. Not every dream is bloody, but mostly weird. I eat meat about 3-4 hours before going to sleep.

FrenchFry is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HarlequinHare View Post
    Hi all,

I saw the sleep hack thread down there and I think I'll try a few tips from it...but I wanted to start a thread about this specifically: nightmares.

Since going Paleo, I've had horrendous sleep every single night. Restlessness and horrible dreams. I'm getting more exercise than I have in years, eating right (*), doing all the things which normally precede a good night's sleep (**).

I've also taken to blacking out the room, avoiding blue light before bed, sleeping with a mask, and sleeping with sound machines/meditation apps (***).

Oddly, I'm actually feeling a lot *less* stressed out than I ever have in my life. I don't know what gives! My entire life, my dreams have almost always been good ones. Nightmares were very rare, even during the darkest times in my life.

Has anyone else here dealt with and possibly found a solution for sudden drop in sleep quality?

Thank you so much, in advance.
    (*) could be a shift in gut microbiota. I should also point that you don't really know if you are eating "right". What is right for you ?

(**) what are those things ? I know Paul Jaminet recommends some stuff to respect the circadian rhythm. Are you referring to those ?

(***) uh what ??? Isn't silence good enough ?? The only sound I would really like is the wind blowing in the trees or waterfall, as close to white noise as possible. No artificial stuff, heavy road traffic, etc.

CavemanJoe is offline Senior Member
    Do you supplement with magnesium?

meepster is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    If you just recently started the whole avoiding of blue light thing, it may take you a few days to adjust to the increased melatonin - which causes extremely vivid dreams during the adjustment period. I never had nightmares, but I did have crazy-vivid dreams. Eventually things got back to normal.

Sent from my iPhone using Marks Daily Apple Forum

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast