Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How do I get more Fiber? page

Grok is offline Senior Member

How do I get more Fiber?

Primal Fuel
    I am worried that I am not getting enough fiber in my diet. Are there certain fruits or vegetables I should be consuming which are higher in fiber than others?

If I feel fiber deficient, should I start eating some non-primal foods for a while to increase my fiber? If so, what would be the best choice?

I'm thinking I should leave the skins on my onions.

Thanks in advance for you help.
    -Grok

Katt is offline Senior Member
    Fiber is overrated and not as necessary as the mainstream would have you believe. Veggies give plenty of fiber.

http://www.proteinpower.com/drmike/f...-fore-and-aft/
    Last edited by Katt; 06-19-2010 at 08:08 PM. Reason: Adding Link

Grol is offline Senior Member
    I don't think fiber is important, personally. Why is bulk good? It hurts.

One of my favorite discoveries after going primal was the pleasure of small poops. It's funny because the higher quality dog food has better protein, less corn/rice/filler, and the healthier dog makes smaller poops, which makes picking them up less of an issue too. Small poop rules.

Eat more roughage. Green veggies and BASs if you really want bigger poops.

Helen in Oz is offline Senior Member
    Plenty of fiber in vegetables. You don't want to use wheat bran to sandpaper the insides of your guts.

http://thyroid.about.com/od/loseweig.../highfiber.htm

If you're being generous with your carbs, consider using prunes or better still, prune juice. I found it worked well.

Are you getting enough fat?

Helen in Oz is offline Senior Member
    Also, are you consuming anything that could be counter-productive, particularly too much dairy? Grainy 'cheats'?

Just wondering as I've had digestive issues ALL MY LIFE which have improved 500% since going primal. I just put a box of All-Bran cereal from the back of the pantry in the bin today.

groquette is offline Senior Member
    Also take a look at http://www.gutsense.org/ if you want some more details about why fiber might be overrated.

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    There's some utility in oligofructose and -some- other soluble fiber for feeding the gut flora and producing certain fatty acids in the intestines. But that's not really a big deal. My solution: jicama fries, cooked spinach, and some avocado. Your onions are great too. Leave the skins on if you want. Bam. Done. Moving on.

Mark has great posts bashing insoluble fiber. We definitely don't need that. *shudder*
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

prib81 is offline Senior Member
    In an attempt to heal my GI tract which has been jacked for 8 years, I am eating a steady diet of goat milk, meat (mostly grassfed), some onions and garlic, and occasionally potatoes. My poops have been awesome for the last 2 months, which is when I went hardcore "meatan." I dabbled in all types of other "healthy" diets before that, including veganism. Fiber != healthy colon. Take probiotics or fermented foods, stay hydrated, and ensure your magnesium intake is adequate.

AuH2Ogirl is offline Senior Member
    Agree with above. You don't need extra fiber.

I saw an ad on TV the other day for some product, and they said if you're not having a bowel movement every day your body will become toxic. Then, at the end of the ad, they said even once a day wasn't enough. Sheesh. What a load (no pun intended).

My GI tract has been so very happy since I quit eating so much fiber. Yours will be too as long as (to echo what prib81 said) you eat enough fat, are properly hydrated, etc etc.

say_rahhh is offline Senior Member
    I concur with everyone above that fiber is overrated. I am very regular since going Primal with the exception of about the first 10 days or so when I think my body was in transition mode. Here's how my belly stays happy: probiotics (yogurts and fermented foods) and the fat.

I will disagree with Grol, above, about smaller size being a positive. According to Dr. Ayers on coolinginflammation blog, in a healthy gut, over half the volume of poo is gut flora. If you have a robust amount of gut flora, I don't think it's possible to have compact poo. I definitely recommend Dr. Ayer's blog to learn about digestive health.
    Because if you didn't know, of that is life made: only of moments; Don't lose the now.
    ~Borges

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast