Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Snatches/Snatching/Snatchitude page

Feanor78 is offline Senior Member

Snatches/Snatching/Snatchitude

Primal Fuel
    Hey all, I know some of you are seasoned power lifters and you might have some suggestions/ideas for me. I've been doing some explosive-type lifting (power cleans specifically) and my form is pretty good - today I tried doing snatches for the first time, and it was great! I worked my way up to see where I would max out and I stopped after doing 2 reps at 185. I barely felt it in my shoulders and arms, but on the last rep I had to work with my shoulders to lock out the weight - is that ok, or should it be straight to the top or nothing at all? Thanks!

rphlslv is offline Senior Member
    I'm scared of snatches. =\
    .`.><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>
    ><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>

Fury22 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Feanor78 View Post
    Hey all, I know some of you are seasoned power lifters and you might have some suggestions/ideas for me. I've been doing some explosive-type lifting (power cleans specifically) and my form is pretty good - today I tried doing snatches for the first time, and it was great! I worked my way up to see where I would max out and I stopped after doing 2 reps at 185. I barely felt it in my shoulders and arms, but on the last rep I had to work with my shoulders to lock out the weight - is that ok, or should it be straight to the top or nothing at all? Thanks!
    No.

The bar should go straight to lock out. Press-outs = no lift.
    Check out my blog!

http://easternstrength.blogspot.com/

I like to throw, squat and pull heavy things for fun.

We're designed to be hunters and we're in a society of shopping. There's nothing to kill anymore, there's nothing to fight, nothing to overcome, nothing to explore. In that societal emasculation this everyman is created. ~David Fincher, director of Fight Club, interview with Gavin Smith, "Inside Out," Film Comment, Sep/Oct 1999

AntonG is offline Senior Member
    Hey Fury, Im trying to incorporate some hang cleans into my 5x5 routine. Ive done regular cleans from the floor in the past but from what i understand these are different? should the tempo be higher since im not putting it down? should feet stay where they are or allow to move a little like when doing a regular power clean? any tips?

Daemonized is online now Senior Member
    And that was an awesome movie too, by the way. I love Guy Richie films.

Jason VT is offline Senior Member
    She's awful partial to the Perriwinkle Blue.

ColoradoSteve is offline Senior Member
    First - 185 is a VERY respectable snatch.

Second - the bar should go from either the ground or the hanging position to locked out in 1 motion. No pressing at the top.

@Anton - depends on the weight. If it's light and you can power clean it up without moving the feet - the do it (always end up with your elbows in front of the bar in the racked position). Moving the feet is useful when you 1) want to have your feet in a 'power' position for the first and second pull and 2) want to have you feet in the correct squat position so that you can drop between your hips to get under the bar.
    Never, never, never quit! -- Winston Churchill

Feanor78 is offline Senior Member
    Thanks for the tips... 2 days until I get to do it all over again. Why is lifting so much more fun when you get to throw the weights around?

Fury22 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AntonG View Post
    Hey Fury, Im trying to incorporate some hang cleans into my 5x5 routine. Ive done regular cleans from the floor in the past but from what i understand these are different? should the tempo be higher since im not putting it down? should feet stay where they are or allow to move a little like when doing a regular power clean? any tips?
    Hang cleans and cleans from the floor are pretty different mechanically. Feet position and all that remain the same. With a hang clean, you have to get under the bar faster as you don't have as much momentum. However, with a hang clean there tend to be a different bar path and usually some sort of bounce when you lower the bar then reverse in order to clean it. This is why for actually improving the full lifts, hang cleans and pretty pointless. Hang cleans tend to make you better at hang cleans, not so much full cleans/cleans from the floor. Cleans from blocks are much better.

Feet position and all that remain the same. You can do cleans from the lower leg (mid shin/below knee), from the knee, or a high hang.
    Check out my blog!

http://easternstrength.blogspot.com/

I like to throw, squat and pull heavy things for fun.

We're designed to be hunters and we're in a society of shopping. There's nothing to kill anymore, there's nothing to fight, nothing to overcome, nothing to explore. In that societal emasculation this everyman is created. ~David Fincher, director of Fight Club, interview with Gavin Smith, "Inside Out," Film Comment, Sep/Oct 1999

muaythaimike is offline Senior Member
    I love doing Olympic lifts and snatches are my favourite. I can't drop the weight down in my gym though for safety reasons and I have had to cut them out of my routine for now in case I fail an attempt. Sticking to power cleans until I can find somewhere else!!!

You shouldn't press out the bar because it would be a failed lift.... but you aren't competing so pressing out a little when fatigued might happen.

As soon as your technique is out the window you should stop/rest. I was always taught to only to low reps (around 3-5) so technique is sharp.
    "My mom made two dishes: Take it or Leave it." -- Stephen Wright, comedian

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast