Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chewin' Ass and Kickin' Bubblegum... Because I Can. page

Reventon is offline Senior Member

Chewin' Ass and Kickin' Bubblegum... Because I Can.

Primal Fuel
    Felt like doing a log for a few reasons. To keep accountable with myself, to state my goals and to make sure I don't pussy out on them later this year.

Also to gather my thoughts and to do more writing, because it's a skill I've not practiced enough of late. Not in a meaningful fashion, anyway. I'll probably also do some more pics here as a reference point. I utterly, utterly hate getting my picture taken, so there aren't many. But meh.

To begin with:

2014's Fitness Goals

Quarter 1:

Complete a 12 Week MadCow (Ramped up 5x5) Cycle
    -By end of Quarter 1, be in the 3, 4, 5 Club (Completed 400 lb Squat, on the cusp of 500 lb Deadlift, need serious work for 300 lb bench to come off in time)

Quarter 2:

Deload 1 Week, Then complete Insanity 60 Days

Will be doing a hard, dirty cut during this time. Considering a sweet potato + taro variation of the potato hack to start with, then working back to something closer to my normal diet with limited calories.

Quarter 3:

Tough Mudder.

That was the plan, but so far Sydney's Event hasn't been set :/ Last year was September, so I'm hoping it follows the same run. Really hoping, because I want the majority of the Quarter to train for it. Insanity will help me get in good condition for it, but we'll see how it pans out. I also want to do some more focus on bodyweight training, pull ups, working towards a muscle up and a little rope work in this time.

The current plan is a HML Barbell set up insterspersed with bodyweight and rope work.

Quarter 4:

Smolov

Nuff said.

Some body recompositioning will occur along the way also. But by and large what's happened so far has recompositioned my arse pretty well. I still have a goodly amount of fat to cut, but my muscle gains from now on are based primarily around performance goals, not aesthetic ones. I've also dropped off the bulk of fat I need to kill already.

So there's my short term fitness future laid out in brief. I'll get on to describing a little more of my past for reference soon.
    Last edited by Reventon; 02-09-2014 at 04:59 AM.

TQP is gonna love this... Fruit binged tonight... And I feel amazing. Joint pain is nearly gone. I feel happy, chilled, calm and sated. I hit up mango, bananas, figs and stone fruit. Dinner was chicken drumsticks with Tom Yum soup (gratuitous chili + tomatoes = nightshade last hurrah before my month long experiment without them).

Man do I feel good. So sleepy now. Will document more tomorrow.

canio6 Guest
    Damn, that sounds good. There is something about fruit that just makes me happy. Glad to know the binge worked out for you. Good luck with the experiment.

Thanks man.

Pics soonish, once I've gone and done me a quick and dirty cut. In the meantime, exposition.

Me: Starting Point and Where I am Now

I was the fat kid.

Probably like a lot of people currently on this forum and like many who've benefited from the Primal Blueprint and Paleo lifestyle in general, I was always tubby growing up. A supposed endomorph. I was also ridiculously active - every lunch break, every day after school, it was always sport sport sport. If it wasn't at official training for school, I was playing a game of touch football, cricket or basketball with friends, with lots of swimming in summer. If I was on my own, I was practicing jump shots, kicks, passes and my bowling action on my own at the back of the house.

I honestly can't remember many days I didn't have a ball of one shape or another in my hand and when my parents banned me from having a ball in the house, I still wouldn't stop thinking about sport in one form or another. I used to drive my mother to her wits end because any time there was an orange or apple left in the fruit basket - my hands were busy practicing my off spin action, bruising it beyond recognition. Invariably I would then get to eat it, which never bothered me at all.

In spite of my activity, year after year the weight kept piling on insidiously. At twelve I was built but chubby, by the time I was fourteen I was decidedly overweight, by the time I was eighteen I was 250 pounds excess of fat. I could still out sprint guys 60 pounds lighter than me, out wrestle most of the strong guys in my year and was an effective and dangerous ball runner on the rugby field, but my failure in maintaining my body image contributed to a lack of self esteem and compounding depression that only got worse as time went on. I became increasingly more isolated and introverted as school continued, cutting myself off from contact even when people made overtures of friendship and showed they liked me because I couldn't believe it.

I felt myself to be so worthless that I felt anyone expressing an interest in my company was really joking to eventually set me up and make an example of me. It took me a long time to work myself out of that negative headspace.

After high school it got better, then got much worse.

After a year of working night shift in a bakery, I got crazy strong from lugging around 100-132 lb stacks of flour and regularly lifting a whole stack of trays. I also got crazy fat, as being surrounded by bread is wont to do. Unsurprisingly, for anyone who's made the connection between wheat and depression, my mood and self esteem got progressively worse and worse throughout this time period. Not being able to play rugby from time constraints made me horribly frustrated too. My weight capped out around 275 lbs and I felt utterly miserable. My condition was horrible, despite walking to work most days, running when I had the energy and being incredibly active and on my feet for 8-10 hours straight.

This was soon followed by a move away for university to tropical North Queensland. Between heat, humidity, getting back into rugby, weights training and spending a lot of my food budget on booze, I trimmed up. My weight quickly plummeted to an all time low for my adult life of 205 lbs. I was ecstatic about this, but the effects of overtraining and poor nutritiion soon caught up with me. My lifts began decreasing in the weights room and I quickly went catabolic. This was not even remotely fun.

After dropping out and briefly moving back home, my weight went very quickly back to the 240s-250s. I was simply unable to maintain what I had prior. From there, I started work in sales, loved it, moved out of home, then had brief, repeated forays back into the gym to bulk up and lean out. This was effectively a self repeating pattern for five years. I eventually ran across a personal trainer who helped me get into outstanding shape and had me correct close to ten years worth of form mistakes, lifting flaws and generally educate me on how to really engage and control my muscles and keep them under tension. After making great progress and maintaining around the 220 mark, I fell of the wagon. Work piled up, I was unable to maintain eating 6 meals a day, began eating junk food and fell out of working out. Soon I was up to 260 lbs after dropping a ton of muscle.

At the tail end of 2012, once again utterly frustrated with my condition and desperate for change, I stumbled into the Primal Blueprint website. It immediately made intrinsic and intellectual sense to me and I adopted it without any real hassle, effort or trouble. Within a week I was 90-95% primal. Within 2 I was back in the gym.

The transformation was epic.

I quite literally de aged myself ten years. People who'd run into me without knowing me had assumed I was in my mid to late thirties for quite some time. My skin was sallow and unhealthy despite being unlined and my general malaise came across as making me look like a much older man. I now usually get picked as being in my twenties despite having just turned 30. The ironic reversal is hilarious, but very pleasing.

On the body composition end of things, I can't even begin to state how pleased I am with how I went from where I was to where I am now. I basically went from 260 lbs to maintaining somewhere in the range of 215-225 within 6 months. But this totally fails to recognise the amount of muscle I put on, how much my athletic performance and overall health improved. I went from averaging blood pressure of 150/110 to a benchmark 120/80. I went from being pre diabetic to having perfect glucose regulation and very low triglycerides. I went from being exhausted going up a flight of stairs to running rings around everyone I know.

The biggest change; I went from having perpetual depression to being known as the glass half full guy. This shocked me more than anyone else. I am an unrepentant cynical bastard. I hate the glass half full guy, the one who's always cheery and smiling, even after someone's kicked him in the nuts. He's ceaselessly annoying, the smug prick.

And... now that's me. This was never a conscious change. It just happened. Once I knew my life was under my control, that I didn't have to fear or resent anyone and that most people didn't mean me harm or look down on me the way I thought they did... there was nothing to stop me from being happy and wanting the people around me from sharing in that. What I have goes beyond confidence. It's faith. I believe in myself on a level so fundamental I can't begin to describe it, and can only wonder how I never did before.

Gah. Neglected this for a while. Need to get a good fat pic of me. Given I'm chronically camera shy, this isn't as easy as it sounds.

Okay. Taking stock of the current situation. Stressed out at the moment, caught between good and bad news, not sleeping so much and ended up amending my goals to cut earlier than planned. So where I'm at now training and nutrition wise, to make things simple:

500 lb deadlift, tick
    400 lb squat, tick
    300 lb bench... goddamn. This deload hopefully will put me on track.

At the end of week 5, I've ditched MadCow. I was stalling on too many lifts and training at my upper ranges while on a cut is not happening... not without me injuring myself anyway. I'm sticking with a 5x5 routine beginning at 70% of my 1RMs and building back incrementally as per the usual Stronglifts methodology. I'm going to include more accessory work to build up my bench and keep my arms big.

The Steak and Eggs Cut:

It is damn effective. I need to refeed carb levels to a much greater degree, though. I was nearly falling down dizzy at the end of my workout last night. Not cool. I trained like a goddamn geriatric this morning, too. Once I'm done with this, I'm thinking a good run of Insanity with a higher carb intake, probably in the range of 100-130ish per day. Between the two if I'm not signifcantly leaner by the mid point of the year I'll be shocked.

Personal stuff:

Right, so at the moment I've had an interesting run of things. Broke up with my on again, off again ex several times since late December... and we've done the ex sex thing quite a few times. Ugh. We're still good friends, which makes shit difficult. Huh. Not much chance of us getting back together full time, and she is lovely... but fuck she can do my head in.

Dad and one of my friends both have cancer at the moment also.

Most of my days off for the last few months, I've been travelling back up the coast to ferry him to BCG treatments for his bladder cancer. It's crazy shit - they inject the bladder with a form of attenuated bovine tuberculosis. I shit you not. They're not sure whether the cow TB attacks the cancer directly or promotes an immune response that kills the cancer, but the success rate is amazing. Better than having your bladder removed, fo sho. Dad just finished his first run of BCG treatment in Feb, and the follow up Cystoscopy result showed no tumour regrowth, so it looks like he end up going into remission. They are still scheduling several "maintenance" BCG procedures this year to keep it under control, but overall looks very positive.

However...

Early in proceedings, his Oncologist noticed his iron levels were low and on a couple of days his Neutrophil count was down. She wants to rule out bowel cancer, so tomorrow I take dad in for colonoscopy/endoscopy. Once we have the results of that, hopefully it's all clear from here.

My good friend currently has ovarian cancer for the second time around. She had her right one removed at 19, and now looks like she may have to lose the second one. She didn't want to talk to me after her last consultation, so I'm guessing the news is probably bad there. I get she doesn't want to be on hormone replacement therapy at 28... but I also don't want her dead. So... yeah. Between talking to her, getting the usual crazy shit from my ex and seeing mum and dad (who have been great, but are still a bit of work)... huh.

Not been sleeping much. But training is my only stress relief. Well, that and the amazing ex sex... but that is often directly preceded and followed by MOAR stress >_<

Ah well. It could be worse.

It pisses me off that all this shit is happening to people I care about though. Makes me want to uppercut Fate in the balls and piss in Destiny's cereal.

Jefferson1775 is online now Senior Member
    I will definitely be following this. About every other workout you post makes my eyes pop out, brah.

I hope things get better for your people.
    In matters of style, swim with the current. In matters of principle, stand like a rock.

This message has been intercepted by the NSA, the only branch of government that listens.

edennperez1 is online now Senior Member
    Hey! Just noticed you have a journal. First, your honesty and openness is amazing. I don't think I could let people peek into my past pains and struggles. Thank you for that. And congratulations on your amazing physical and psychological accomplishments. I can tell you're snarky but I would've never guessed you to have been cynical or "glass-is-half-empty". So you're transformation is complete in that way! ;-)

I'm sorry to hear about your friend. That is tough. I'm so glad things are looking up for your dad. My dad is a bone marrow cancer survivor so I know much cancer sucks.

Like you, lifting weights is a stress relief! I have a son with autism and that is the toughest thing I've ever had to deal with. So I regain my sanity at the gym. :-)

Anyway, keep on keepin on. Though you should probably stop the emotional-sex roller coaster with the ex. My unsolicited advice. But you probably knew that. ;-)
    Last edited by edennperez1; 03-03-2014 at 07:56 PM.

@ Jefferson1775

Thanks, brah Appreciate the good wishes.

Hey man, on the workout side of things, remember that I've got close to an extra decade of training under my belt, even if done to a staccato fashion and with big breaks. While consistency is the key to long term success, your body also remembers where it's been and wants to return that level of lean mass very quickly when you begin retraining. As such, getting back to a little under where I am now was easy due to a combo of my body remembering where it wanted to be and working back to a much lower threshold of my overall genetic potential. The last two to three months of training has been harder than anything I've ever done before in the gym because I'm in completely new territory. Which is exciting, but fucking terrifying.

So remember that you're doing awesome given your age and that you gotta move dat bar higher than I do and you've run across a smart, effective training regime earlier in your training life than I have. Given enough time, you'll probably freakin blow me out of the water

Quote Originally Posted by edennperez1 View Post
    Hey! Just noticed you have a journal. First, your honesty and openness is amazing. I don't think I could let people peek into my past pains and struggles. Thank you for that. And congratulations on your amazing physical and psychological accomplishments. I can tell you're snarky but I would've never guessed you to have been cynical or "glass-is-half-empty". So you're transformation is complete in that way! ;-)

I'm sorry to hear about your friend. That is tough. I'm so glad things are looking up for your dad. My dad is a bone marrow cancer survivor so I know much cancer sucks.

Like you, lifting weights is a stress relief! I have a son with autism and that is the toughest thing I've ever had to deal with. So I regain my sanity at the gym. :-)

Anyway, keep on keepin on. Though you should probably stop the emotional-sex roller coaster with the ex. My unsolicited advice. But you probably knew that. ;-)
    Hey Thanks for the kind words.

You know, it's pretty cathartic letting a lot of this shit out, and this format is a good way to do it. It's amazing how much stuff people relate to once you start down this track, and some of the admissions and honesty I've seen from people on this forum have been amazing. NaiadKnight's Journal really inspired me. She's a really cool person who is very up front about some of the kaka she's been through and still goes through and does it in a very thoughtful and dignified fashion.

If you're not comfortable with the medium, I get that. Bear in mind people who are going to criticize you for admitting you have problems and are trying to overcome them are just arseholes and don't bear worth listening to. The user bias of the Journals section, though, is largely people trying to build each other up. It's basically a massive support network, as I see it. So yeah, it's not as daunting as you might think, and the positive responses people have to this stuff are pretty awesome

Sorry to hear your dad had such a rough deal with that. Bone marrow is cancer is just the absolute drizzling shits. When you say survivor, that is such an accurate word for that... there are some diseases and conditions where it's more warranted than others, and bone marrow cancer is close to top of the list. Just amazingly deadly and difficult to overcome. Is he doing ok and in remission right now?

Is your son on the Asperger's spectrum? If so, how far in? My manager here at work has a 5 year old boy who is and he's recently started doing really, really well with therapy and school and made huge progress (enough that even I can notice as someone who only sees him once every few weeks). So yeah, hopefully it goes well with your little boy. It is undoubtedly very hard work for parents of Autistic children, but the progress that people make with it now compared to even ten or fifteen years ago is pretty remarkable.

Funnily enough, I also played Rugby with a guy on the Asperger's spectrum in the club I played for in North Queensland. Really nice guy who was freaky fast and fit.... we had great fun getting him drunk and trying to get him laid XD You just need to eventually find a school where they play Rugby and the lads will look after your boy

And yeah, me and the ex, we should totally stop banging. I should ignore the flirty texts and phone calls. And stop instigating massages... and wearing blue shirts... but... well....
    Last edited by Reventon; 03-03-2014 at 09:11 PM.

edennperez1 is online now Senior Member
    Journaling: One day I might. One day... :-)

Dad: Pops is in remission, thank God! A true miracle. Chemo. Radiation. Bone marrow transplant from one of his sisters. LONG climb back to life!

Autism: My son is 6 years old and nonverbal. He uses an iPad for basic communication of wants and needs. He's my little homey so when he looks at me, I often know what he wants. Not always, but usually. Hopefully he'll pick up language soon! He's a gross motor kid so I could see him playing rugby -- if I let him. We are the biggest bunch of moral degenerates around! I don't want to explain those years to my kids (have a 3-year old daughter too) let alone encourage them to play! LOL! I'm gonna push tennis and hubby will push soccer.

Booty Calls: End it before she does. Hurts less.

Night!

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Glad to hear your papa's well.

Good news for my own today - no bowel cancer for dad. Mild diverticulitis that probably explains his low iron. We were all pretty happy. Maintenance BCG to begin soon, but right now all is under control.

Hope things go well for your little man, Eden. It can't be easy at all having two kids that young and one with autism. When I hear stuff like that it makes me seem such like a pansy when I bitch about my own horseshit. Got a great pic to post about that later.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast