Thread: Newbie from the UK, trying to go primal page

Lektar is offline Junior Member

Newbie from the UK, trying to go primal

Primal Fuel
    Hello from the UK. I am new and would like some tips. Overal it has been great, got over initial low carb headaches, but finding it difficult to stay primal when out and about.

Breakfast is a problem, love the eggs, but need other ideas that are easy and quick. Fruit on its own doesn't seem to satisfy me. I wish I could get the shake over here, but I think I'd have to have it sent from the States to get it over here. When I have more time I will try the pancakes....

I find myself a little low on energy at work sometimes and could do with high protein options to boost the old battery...... I have been snacking on nuts, which is great, but I think I need slow burning high protein options, besides eggs.

Cooking primally takes time and costs money, but I am definately losing weight and feeling better, so I want to tough this out and gradually I hope to get better at it.

SpiritWarrior is offline Member
    Hey there - fellow UK primal here

I also find breakfast the most difficult, in the week i tend to have yoghurt and fresh fruit, sometimes with nuts sprinkled on top. On the weekends, its scrambled eggs, often as a supplement to more fresh fruit.

I make up batches of hard boiled eggs and snack on those as necessary. I'm a vegetarian (no meat or poultry) so i eat a lot of fish and eggs

welcome to the fun!

ErinS is offline Junior Member
    I can't eat dairy or eggs, so I struggled to find a satisfying breakfast as well. There are several primal-friendly recipes out there, such as Lemon Poppyseed Muffins, Carrot Muffins, Paleo pancakes, etc. Elanaspantry.com is a website with tons of gluten-free recipes that can easily be edited to be more primal, although many already are. Hope that helps.

superdeluxe is offline Senior Member
    My suggestions:
    Eggs--you can take hardboiled, so they don't need to be made in the morning
    Mozzarella and tomato salad.
    Full fat greek yogurt, if you're doing dairy, with blackberries/coconut/nuts (depends if you're trying to lose weight--if yes, then no to yogurt and fruit for breakfast).
    Leftovers--steak! pork shoulder! What are these breakfast foods you speak of?
    Homemade sausage--my roomate makes homemade sausage using pork and herbs, no skins, no chemicals. I just fry up a bit in a pan and I'm good to go.
    When I'm really low on time or have nothing suitable in the fridge, I have a teaspoon or two of coconut oil. It really does keep me full until lunch. Fat keeps me fuller than carbs. See also Batty's Butter Balls.
    Il faut vivre et non pas seulement exister.

greek_girl is offline Member
    Hi Lektar. I am from the UK too. I asked a similar question today and someone suggested I drink coconut milk. I did it today and it did the trick!

Lektar is offline Junior Member
    Thanks guys, thanks for your ideas, you know the problems when your busy to grab something quick!!! Bought myself an Egg poacher, but seriously want to try these protein shakes as an option. Not sure if I will take to them as I can be sensitive to Diary, but reading the blog it seems that whey protein has little to know Lactose. I really hope that I like the shake, as I think it would suit the amount of time I have in the morning.

Coconut milk seems interesting, I have recently rediscovered all things cocnut and I am liking it so far. When I have time I want to try to make pancakes. Surely a very high fat option? Perhaps a splash in the old shake for taste!!

Does anyone know a good shake option for us in the UK, something similar to Responsibly slim?

shadgal is offline Senior Member
    Lektar - a friend of mine in the UK buys her protein powder from Holland & Barrett and says it should be at least 90% protein. The one I use here in NZ is 79% and is straight whey powder with nothing else in it. Yes it should be high fat and high protein, that way you won't get hungry in a short space of time. You can't be Primal and 'low fat' - it doesn't work like that.

Frodocious is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by shadgal View Post
    Lektar - a friend of mine in the UK buys her protein powder from Holland & Barrett and says it should be at least 90% protein. The one I use here in NZ is 79% and is straight whey powder with nothing else in it. Yes it should be high fat and high protein, that way you won't get hungry in a short space of time. You can't be Primal and 'low fat' - it doesn't work like that.
    I wouldn't buy whey from Holland and Barrett, they're expensive and often full of additives. Try My Protein for unflavoured whey and then make up shakes with whatever you want.

http://www.myprotein.co.uk/
    The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it