Thread: Newbie trying to figure out the numbers. Oh so lost. PLease help! page

hermanda is offline Senior Member

Question Newbie trying to figure out the numbers. Oh so lost. PLease help!

Hi there thanks for helping. I'm trying to do this right but I can't seem to get the numbers right. I have the book but it's a bit confusing for me.

132 lbs (gained 10lbs in last 10 months)
    age 26
    female
    5'6
    about 25% fat
    so that's 99lbs LBM.
    I calculated my caloric need using Harris light exercise 1-3 days per week and got 1948.
    LBM x 0.7= 69.3 g protein.

so how many g fat do I need?
    How many carbs?
    How many calories should I eat per day if i want to loose at least a lb of fat per week?
    How are those calories distributed amongst fat cals, protein cals, and carb cals?

I'm sorry about this and wouldn't ask is i hadn't hacked away at this for a few days.

Thanks!

dcoffill is offline Junior Member
    Heres my stab at it.

1500 calories a day
    900 from fat
    300 from protein
    200 from carbs

This would end up being around 100 grams of fat, 70 of protein and 50 of carbs...this keeps your carbs low, your protein around 70gs to maintain muscle and keeps your fat at 60% which seems to be ideal around here! Hopefully someone whos been here a lot longer will back me up Good luck!

BarbeyGirl is offline Senior Member
    I'd take a different route -- the (pretty-much) unweighed, unmeasured paleo one.

1. Get adequate protein from paleo/primal sources (mostly meat). Make sure you get 70+ grams per day.
    2. Eat a reasonable amount of carbs for your goals (mostly veggies). Keep it under 65 grams per day.
    3. Fill up the rest of your energy needs (but don't stuff yourself) on healthful fats. This could be 140 grams or more per day, depending on activity level, etc.

Eat when hungry, stop when full.
    Choose only paleo/primal foods and keep carbs in check.
    Forget about calories for now. Most people don't need to fret over them.
    Definitely forget about pounds.

Want better and faster results? Lift weights 2x per week and sprint 1x per week. You'll be amazed.
    Nightlife ~ Chronicles of Less Urban Living, Fresh from In the Night Farm ~ Idaho's Primal Farm! http://inthenightlife.wordpress.com/

Latest post: Stop Being Stupid

dacec is offline Senior Member
    I seemed to have found my sweet spot...lots of energy, maintaining weight and lost the need to snack in between meals. Here is my average over the last month
    1600ish cals
    61%fat = 79g
    16% carbs = 57g
    22% protein = 81g

For weight loss, I would trim back a little on the carbs to be more like 10%/ under 50g

For the record I am 5' 7" and 120lb female.
    Last edited by dacec; 06-19-2010 at 09:22 AM.

Fatkid is offline Senior Member
    I'd lean towards forgetting about the calories for now (forever maybe)

get at least 70g of Protein a day (on average)
    keep your carbs low around 50g a day +/- (again...on average) if you don't mind the fat loss being a little slower you can go up into the 50-100 g/day range... when I started I kept it around 30g/day but now vary wildly from ~20g to 100g
    after you get those two numbers squared away you fill the rest of your food requirements with healthy fats... if you are hungry... eat... if not..don't...

After you get the hang of things you won't even really need to count those numbers either... I found that I have no trouble staying beneath my carb 'limit' but I tend to have trouble getting the right amounts of protein...so anymore I only track my protein intake...

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    Eat stuff like beef, eggs, lamb, bacon, avocados, wild fish, etc. till you are full. Cook them in butter, ghee, lard, coconut oil.
    Put them on / with lots of green veggies also cooked in high-sat fat natural oils or raw.

Avoid all grains, sugars of all kinds, go a bit easy on the starchy veg (potatoes) and sweeter fruits, avoid all fruit / sugared juices and anything that comes in a box. Lay off the alcohol. Avoid margarine, canola & other industrial oil, soybeans, peanuts.

If you do that, your ratios and numbers will be right in line with roughly where you need to be. There really is no need to get deeper unless you are just curious.
    Trying to hit a daily percentage is not 1) possible 2) fun or 3) all that useful as a healthy activity. Spend that time walking the dog, mowing the lawn, or playing frisbee!

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    I should clarify - I've played around with those calculators and stuff too, it's kind of fun. I just want to emphasize it's not essential, it's not an exact science, and we are all made a bit differently anyhow, so what works for me might not quite be optimal for you. Just relax into it and don't get geeked out by the science.

hermanda is offline Senior Member
    lol tfarny! Point taken. Thank you everyone! That's really helped me get a perspective on what I need to be eating. I'm low on the fat, ok on the carb, and could possibly go to high with the protein. Good to keep in check while I'm learning how to eat this way.
    Thanks again!

Griff is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    You should be high on the fat, moderate on the protein, and low on the carb. 70%/25%/5%.
    Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html