Thread: Matcha tea vs Coffee caffeine? page

StrongCheck is offline Member

Matcha tea vs Coffee caffeine?

Primal Fuel
    I find coffee not only messes my Gerd over but the caffeine is too intense.

I drink matcha tea which is quite high in caffeine but obviously has ltheanine which helps.

Is it that simple? I wish I could drink coffee, I like the flavor.

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Want to feel blissful?

Try 2 cups of high quality yerba mate (yep, it has caffeine still), with 400 mg of suntheanine, the pharmacologically active, and better absorbed form of theanine. You won't even notice you've been caffeinated. Just calm, smooth feelings of bliss.

Just remember, you can build up a tolerance to l-theanine, so don't rely on this as a daily thing.
    "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

oh maybe thats why i didnt notice anything from suntheanine after the first time i tried it. not heard of yerba.

Quote Originally Posted by StrongCheck View Post
    oh maybe thats why i didnt notice anything from suntheanine after the first time i tried it. not heard of yerba.
    This is yerba mate.

Here's what Mark himself has said about yerba mate.

The many ways to brew yerba mate.

Here's why the combo works:

L-theanine is a non-caloric amino acid that instead of being used for muscle synthesis or energy production is used by the brain as a non-essential neurotransmitter that promotes a feeling of calmness. Suntheanine is the most potent form of l-theanine available. It is in the form used by the brain already, so your body doesn't have to convert it like it does from tea.

Yerba Mate contains precursors that rapidly synthesize to dopamine within the body. Dopamine is a neurotransmitter that promotes feelings of happiness and elevated mood, and even in some, elevated sexual libido. Yerba mate is a good source of niacin (vitamin B3) which research is showing in high doses can combat depression and fatigue and treat a variety of psychiatric conditions. Mate is also a potent source of antioxidants and serves as a vasodilator, both of which assist in transporting both the theanine and dopamine precursors to the brain. This is good. If neurotransmitters don't get to the brain, they can't do their thing.

I also have a theory that I can't prove, but, since l-theanine in nature comes naturally in tea which is packaged with caffeine, caffeine seems to potentiate the effects of theanine. So taking a suntheanine pill without the caffeine in your system may mitigate some of the effects the theanine would otherwise have on your body. The mate contains plenty of caffeine.

All of these serve to potentiate and support each other as a natural mood elevating "cocktail" of sorts that I have had pretty good results with when I need a bit of a mood boost.

Not to mention all the other benefits of consuming yerba mate such as the less jittery boost compared to coffee, the metabolic enhancing effects, it is possibly a better source of the potent antioxidant chlorogenic acid than even our beloved coffee, it is a pretty legit source of boron, magnesium, and potassium (among many other minerals), and it is more cost effective than coffee since the leaves can be rebrewed two or three time before you must discard them.

I could go on and on about this, but I'll shut up now.
    "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

well that could very well help with my anxiety and staying alert without the need for meds like benzos which make me tired as ......?

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by StrongCheck View Post
    well that could very well help with my anxiety and staying alert without the need for meds like benzos which make me tired as ......?
    Oh it definitely could. Oh, and mate has been shown to help speed the digestion of fats more efficiently, so it may help your GERD issues as well.

Just don't rely on this as a daily thing as you WILL build up a tolerance to l-theanine (even the extra potent suntheanine form) over time if you do this. Just use it when you feel you really need a boost such as a particularly bad day.

Feel free to have the mate regularly however.