Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: You Shower too Much? page 7

keithpowers is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NittyGrittyDanny View Post
    The down side of naturals fibers (cotton per se) is that it doesn't dry since it's adsorbent. Working a game during Sept and early Oct in Fla is like taking a shower in your clothes.
    A guide to back-country hiking [that I did the pre-press work on] plainly said, "All the best dressed corpses are wearing cotton this year". This is a very clear allusion to the fact that wool retains warmth even when wet, instead of turning into an evaporative refrigerator (read: swamp cooler) upon dampness.

If you go into real wilderness without the right gear, you're just pressing the accelerator on the natural selection-mobile.

Now, as for the original thread topic: I only shower if I sweat a lot. Usually after a heavy workout or yardwork. If I'm sitting around, I don't see the point. My skin looks pretty good, IMO.
    Peak weight on Standard American Diet: 316.8 lbs
    Initial Weight When Starting Primal: 275 lbs
    Current weight: 210.8 lbs
    Goal weight: 220 lbs (or less): MISSION ACCOMPLISHED.

The way "ChooseMyPlate.gov" should have looked:
    ChooseMyPlate

Sonoran hotdog is online now Senior Member

Potential for soap showering to contribute to allergies

A few years ago a top Tucson allergist did a lunch lecture at work as part of a wellness program. To my surprise he advocated against frequent soap showering. He claimed that bathing with soap impacts the biome that is part of our skin's immune system. Apparently it's not only our gut bugs that are important to us, but the ones on our exterior as well. He said that a daily quick rinse in the shower is fine, just lay off the soap.

Doing a little googling on the topic did not turn up any studies validating his hypothesis, but it did reveal a lot of info on eczema caused by all the extra perfumes, etc. in many soaps.

There has also been a lot in the press lately about the concerns of using antibacterial soaps - you don't want to disinfect yourself every day.

On the topic of natural versus synthetics: not all synthetics are created equal. Polypropylene is the worst for odors, which is too bad because it makes for really warm long underwear. There was a time when you could buy polypro socks, but I think the problems with the resulting smelly feet killed that market.

Water absorbency of cotton is not always a bad thing. "Cotton kills" is the operative phrase in winter backpacking, but here in Tucson the evaporative cooling of a cotton T-shirt on a 107 degree day is welcome.

I am a hard core backpacker, and I have evolved to use a combo of synthetic and natural fibers. Always silk against my skin at night, and typically synthetic during the day. If I'm hiking in cooler temps I wear merino wool T-shirts during the day for the heat retention, especially when wet from rain or sweat.

Backpackers have a term for the persistent bad smell that comes from weeks of sweating w/o showering and washing one's clothes: "stank". This is used as a noun, not the verb past tense.

Ghshl is offline Senior Member
    I generally just shower after heavy sweating, but as I do both lifting and krav maga, and am considering starting to run, that is still quite a few days a week.
    I use shampoo once or twice (I did no-soap, no-poo for over a year, but my hair is longer now and it doesn't look as nice).

earthlymumma is offline Senior Member
    I dont use soap at all. I use bicarb soda and vinegar on my hair about once a week. And my son, 8months old, and I shower about once a week. I did intend on doing it twice weekly but time seems to fly, so its every 5-7 days. He rarely had baths when he was really little. I did use dr bronners castille soap occassionaly on him which I sort of regret.
    Oh I normally put Epsom salts or sea salt in the tub and put the plug in so its a bath/shower.

Nellodee is online now Senior Member
    Since starting to eat this way, a few people have commented on my body odor... saying I don't smell bad, but have like a spicy aroma about me. I think it's because I've been using tons of spices.
    token vegetarian

guitarfan85 is offline Senior Member
    Can someone tell me What effects do the fluoride and chlorine and other trace metals in the water haveon our skin as we take a shower? Could they contribute to making my skin dry?

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by guitarfan85 View Post
    Can someone tell me What effects do the fluoride and chlorine and other trace metals in the water haveon our skin as we take a shower? Could they contribute to making my skin dry?
    Maybe. Dryness is more likely caused by a lack of the oil that your skin needs from over-washing yourself however. Even "natural" soaps, if used regularly, can contribute to a drying of the skin and hair. Soap is intended to remove oils from your skin, it's just how it works.

The problem with fluoride and chlorine in water, however, is that as we take showers (especially hot ones), the chlorine and fluoride readily volatilize into gasses. Then, you breathe them in. In this manner, the toxic substances can get into your body. You have essentially created a mini "gas chamber" (these same chemicals were used by both Stalin and Hitler to pacify, sterilize, and even kill their detractors and opponents). In addition, hot water opens up the pores of the skin leading to greater transdermal absorption of these substances. A perfect storm for letting them into your body. In fact, if you shower daily, you probably intake more of these harmful chemicals from your shower than you do even if you drink eight glasses of water straight from the tap every day.

A good way to mitigate this effect (but it's impossible to totally avoid it without a good shower filter), is to learn to take cold showers. Less of the chemicals will volatilize as gasses and your pores will actually tighten, decreasing the amount absorbed through the skin. You could try that and see if that helps out your skin a bit. If nothing else, a cold shower will damn well wake you up, and provide the internal (if not external) benefit of not absorbing so much fluoride and chlorine.
    "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

guitarfan85 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Drumroll View Post
    Maybe. Dryness is more likely caused by a lack of the oil that your skin needs from over-washing yourself however. Even "natural" soaps, if used regularly, can contribute to a drying of the skin and hair. Soap is intended to remove oils from your skin, it's just how it works.

The problem with fluoride and chlorine in water, however, is that as we take showers (especially hot ones), the chlorine and fluoride readily volatilize into gasses. Then, you breathe them in. In this manner, the toxic substances can get into your body. You have essentially created a mini "gas chamber" (these same chemicals were used by both Stalin and Hitler to pacify, sterilize, and even kill their detractors and opponents). In addition, hot water opens up the pores of the skin leading to greater transdermal absorption of these substances. A perfect storm for letting them into your body. In fact, if you shower daily, you probably intake more of these harmful chemicals from your shower than you do even if you drink eight glasses of water straight from the tap every day.

A good way to mitigate this effect (but it's impossible to totally avoid it without a good shower filter), is to learn to take cold showers. Less of the chemicals will volatilize as gasses and your pores will actually tighten, decreasing the amount absorbed through the skin. You could try that and see if that helps out your skin a bit. If nothing else, a cold shower will damn well wake you up, and provide the internal (if not external) benefit of not absorbing so much fluoride and chlorine.
    That is something that terrifies me as I am so condition to taking a hot shower. Or a hot bath. The hot water just feels so good especially after a long day at work and especially now in the winter where we've been getting hit time after time with arctic blasts. I like hot showers even in the summer. Or at least warm.

The insulation in my bathroom is poor with thin walls and drafty windows. Thus cooling it down quickly. Even with a hot bath tub it loses heat fast. I will definitely look into a shower filter though. I will try everything to cure my dry skin and scalp and dandruff problem first, and a cold or cool shower will be my last resort! Lol.

But my girlfriend who lives with me takes even hotter showers than me. She looks like a lobster afterwards.......too hot for me. But she doesn't have dry skin like me, and her diet is worse than mine. So how can one explain that? The only lotion that I'm aware that she uses is for her hands.

And most importantly I forgot to mention, that I do NOT use soap. And haven't for a while

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by guitarfan85 View Post
    That is something that terrifies me as I am so condition to taking a hot shower. Or a hot bath. The hot water just feels so good especially after a long day at work and especially now in the winter where we've been getting hit time after time with arctic blasts. I like hot showers even in the summer. Or at least warm.

The insulation in my bathroom is poor with thin walls and drafty windows. Thus cooling it down quickly. Even with a hot bath tub it loses heat fast. I will definitely look into a shower filter though. I will try everything to cure my dry skin and scalp and dandruff problem first, and a cold or cool shower will be my last resort! Lol.

But my girlfriend who lives with me takes even hotter showers than me. She looks like a lobster afterwards.......too hot for me. But she doesn't have dry skin like me, and her diet is worse than mine. So how can one explain that? The only lotion that I'm aware that she uses is for her hands.

And most importantly I forgot to mention, that I do NOT use soap. And haven't for a while
    Well, cold showers is just one way to reduce your exposure.

Another way to reduce your exposure to these toxins, much more in keeping with the theme of this thread, is simply to reduce number of showers and baths you take in the first place. And your skin might even thank you for this.
    "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

noodletoy is online now Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    i stay at my b/f's more nights than i sleep home, but our condos are only a few blocks apart. this means we share the same city water.

however, when i shower at his place my skin always feels much drier afterward. since location is the only variable, i suspect it has something to do with the old pipes in his building leaching minerals.

and i do take hot showers and baths. it's been so snowy and bitterly cold here lately, it's the only time of day i actually feel warm. i minimize my exposure to toxins in many ways, but cold showers as a habit are a hard limit.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast