Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: You Shower too Much? page 3

DrHackenbush is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Hannakb View Post
    I said they effect your body, not that they were excreted onto your skin.

If your body's not working properly it effects everything.

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app
    The toxins can be a problem, but I don't think they're the main problem. If we're still talking about the topic, I'd put macronutrients (fat, protein, carb) above micronutrients (in this case, toxins). Rancid oils, partially digested carbs (from milk and grains), and partially digested proteins (from milk and grain, especially gluten) are three big causes. But in my opinion, the biggest mistake people make is not consuming enough saturated fat. That fat lubricates your intestinal walls. If you don't eat it, you slowly damage your gut (from literal roughage and roughness scraping against it) until you leak gas all day and can't digest anything. The slow, silent killer....

I suppose binge eating could cause the same phenomenon. Whatever the cause, if your body metabolizes food slowly, that is a bad thing! You need to keep turning things over down there.
    Last edited by DrHackenbush; 02-08-2014 at 11:07 PM.

Hannakb is offline Senior Member
    Why aren't people properly digesting these things?

What's causing their body's not to function properly?

Ok, I do understand that no one can digest gluten fully.

And I thought is was something in gelatin that helped line the intestinal wall, that's why bone broths heal it isn't it?

And I thought is was something in gelatin that helped line the intestinal wall, that's why bone broths heal it isn't it?

Although gelatin is 98-99% protein by dry weight, it has less nutritional value than many other complete protein sources. Gelatin is unusually high in the non-essential amino acids glycine and proline (i.e., those produced by the human body), while lacking certain essential amino acids (i.e., those not produced by the human body).
    Gelatin - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Protein isn't going to lubricate anything.

By the way, bone broth is nothing new or special. It's just broth.

I'm going to let you in on a little secret: nothing solely Paleo or Primal is any kind of valuable health information. Everything good about primal has been known for a long time and had been documented before Paleo and Primal nutrition came along in the past 10 years. Eat good fats and good proteins? Eat lots of fruits and veggies? Even "avoid grains"? Yes, all of this was known, albeit it wasn't necessarily as popular.
    Last edited by DrHackenbush; 02-08-2014 at 11:39 PM.

The gelatin must be for the actual repairs then.

It could just be an easy-to-digest food that a sick body won't have to work hard on. I question the extent of it's healing powers.

noodletoy is offline Senior Member
    from your own wiki link:

Short chain gelatin peptides are effective in the treatment of stomach ulcers. The peptides enhance resistance of the mucous membrane to ethanol and the effects of stress, causing a twofold reduction in ulcer size and faster healing.[12]
    for joint repair:

Catholic Data: Gelatin works against Arthritis

info and links from mark on gelatin for various ailments:

Dear Mark: CoQ10, Gelatin, Fruit, and Eggs and LDL | Mark's Daily Apple

this might help you about skin and sweat:

Discovery Health "How does your skin eliminate waste?"

Most of us come with two types of sweat glands: eccrine glands and apocrine glands. Eccrine glands cover the majority of your body and are responsible for the cooling effect of sweating [source: Mayo Clinic]. Eccrine sweat is almost entirely water with a little salt and potassium, but it also contains trace amounts of ammonia, uric acid and urea -- all waste byproducts of the body's metabolism of nitrogen [source: Huang, et al.].
    Sweat itself has no odor. The smelly effect is the fault of apocrine glands located in the groin, armpits and other hairy body parts. These glands produce sweat that's rich with fatty proteins. Apocrine sweat is still odorless, but bacteria colonies in these warm, moist areas metabolize the proteins, creating that famously foul smell.
    i bolded that bit because if a person's diet is full of fast-food burgers and domino's cheesy pizza crust, it's akin to garbage and toxins in the body and, simply stated, when excreted by fabp will create a biological environment that smells like ass. no amount of dr. bonner's will cure that.

there is NO food "stuck to" or "rotting" inside of anybody. your digestion takes care of all that. that bullshit about rotting meat is woo spouted by vegans and snake-oil hucksters selling "detoxes" and "cleanses". you do understand that ibs is simply an umbrella term for a list of symptoms, not a disease? doctors don't know what's wrong when somebody has trouble in the belleh so just brush it off as ibs. 99% of the time it's from a food intolerance, most often grains, sometimes, dairy, sometimes nightshades, etc.

I'm going to let you in on a little secret: nothing solely Paleo or Primal is any kind of valuable health information. Everything good about primal has been known for a long time
    i'magonna guess you've never heard the phrases "ancestral health" or "ancestral eating"? nobody in the forefront of this paleo/primal movement is pretending to have invented the wheel, however, they ARE combining traditional foodways and lifestyles with new science.

many of your posts include, "i think" or "i don't know", or "i'm guessing." ALL the info to help you inform yourself has been covered by mark, and waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more of it is at your fingertips with a quick google-fu. it's difficult to have a reasoned conversation with somebody who is flailing around in a small dark room.
    Last edited by noodletoy; 02-09-2014 at 11:09 AM. Reason: crap syntax
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

PaleoPenn is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by noodletoy View Post
    i bolded that bit because if a person's diet is full of fast-food burgers and domino's cheesy pizza crust, it's akin to garbage and toxins in the body and, simply stated, when excreted by fabp will create a biological environment that smells like ass. no amount of dr. bonner's will cure that.
    My Aunt eats like crap has been obese since 1972. She sweats almost non-stop even in Winter and if I go to hug her she's damp and smells like bologna. Rotting bologna.

5 Star Thread! Would read again!
    50 year old Male
    Current Weight: 195

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member

Bone broth contains many beneficial items. Gelatin is one of them with all of its known positive health effect. Glutamine which is frequently used in the treatment of leaky gut. Glucosamine and chondroitin as well. I think some posters are totally missing the forest for the trees when it comes to how these things contribute to health. And especially in how lifestyle and environment contribute to BO. Noodletoy has lots of good links there and makes a good point about things NOT just sitting and rotting in your gut. The only thing "fermenting", not rotting, in your gut is likely various fibers/resistant starch.

As an aside on the cleansing effect of sweating I've got a theory on that. I can see where this could be cleansing perhaps not directly in the sweat but by the liberation of waste into the blood stream to be filtered through the kidney and liver when the body has to create turnover/replenish. So it may very well not be that you sweat out a substantial amount of toxins, but they are liberated and excreted none the less as a consequence. Oddly enough I almost always have to void my bladder immediately following a couple of sauna sessions.

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    if a person's diet is full of fast-food burgers and domino's cheesy pizza crust, it's akin to garbage and toxins in the body and, simply stated, when excreted by fabp will create a biological environment that smells like ass. no amount of dr. bonner's will cure that.
    Generally, the smell of the person is a good indication of their overall health.

When my husband was sick, he smelled terrible. Once he got well, he didn't smell at all. He can even go without deodorant if he wants. I am the same.

I notice, for example, that when I have the flu (or food poisoning?), I smell terrible, but once I'm healthy again, I smell fine. It's basically a clean, non-scent (or me-scent which isn't unpleasant).

I don't care for most perfumes, and my husband and I use just coconut oil for deodorant (as the antimicrobial properties keep the bacterial load in the arm pit down). No stink, no problems.

Most of my family -- who runs itself on all manner of fast foods/bad foods and are usually sick -- basically have to use a lot of soaps, perfumes, deodorants, etc.

I tend to prefer sponge bathing overall. I stared doing it in NZ because the uninsulated, very cold bathroom was not a fun place to bathe no matter how much hot water you had. And, it dried the heck out of my skin anyway. So, I started bathing with a wash cloth. I noticed that it did the trick. So, unless I feel really dirty, I just use a wash cloth and warm water. Then, once a week, I wash my hair (usually in the sink).

Sometimes, I want to take a bath, though, so I put some coconut oil and epsom salts in the water and enjoy a good, hot soak.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast