Thread: PB nutrition for nursing mom page

Meg
    Meg is offline Member

PB nutrition for nursing mom

Primal Fuel
    Hi! I am a new mom (baby is 2.5 weeks) and I stumbled upon PB while pregnant. I had amazing success and even got rid of all headaches and this crazy rare skin rash (which I why I went primal in the first place). I love the effects of the diet on my moods and energy. So here is my question. I am currently nursing and I have the worst cravings. Should I change my food intake because of this? I was pretty strict while pregnant, but since the arrival of the baby, I have not quite been able to stay primal. I desperately want to get back to it, and feel great again, but so far have not been able to stick with it. Is this just fatigue? Is there something i am lacking? Anyone have any advice?

Helen in Oz is offline Senior Member
    for general ideas around this you might want to try googling low carb and breastfeeding. There seems to be a bit of discussion out there. You're producing a lot of nutrition for baby, plus having the post-baby hormonal dump and also suffering from sleep disturbance, so my personal uninformed opinion, to do with as you will, is to take it easy on yourself - eat as primally as you can for overall wellbeing, but probably up the carbs a little - maybe some extra sweet potato? - and allowing yourself some treats.

Make sure you're drinking enough (yes I know the 8 glasses a day is bollocks but you're feeding a baby after all).

(I'm assuming that your cravings are for something like fruit or cheese and not a pile of twinkies and cola!)

Katie82 is offline Senior Member
    Yes, you should change your food intake while you're breastfeeding. Your body needs to take in a lot of energy to make enough milk with the right nutrition for your little one. This is not the time to be restricting food or carbs. Now, I'm not saying you should eat whatever you want like ice cream or cookies or whatever (I don't know what your cravings are for but you should eat as much primal food regardless of carb count as you desire). This is also a good time to try to get in tune with what your body needs and pay attention to if it's truly hunger, or stress, or lack of sleep (which can cause hunger) and try to respect what it is your body wants. You're also recovering from a pregnancy still which could have caused some nutritional deficiencys that you need to work out. Don't worry about losing the weight either, if you are getting what you need whether it's rest or good food then you are going to be dropping weight as long as you continue to breastfeed exclusively. Everybody's different but after I had my twins two years ago I was hungry constantly, I was eating like I was still pregnant and I wasn't even breastfeeding but I was pumping milk for them and I was losing weight like crazy. I got to 25lbs LESS than my pre preg weight in three months while eating tons. Then, I stopped pumping....and well, F*@#! Be careful of that, only after you stop nursing will your body go back into weight gain mode. Until then, just enjoy and try not to stress!

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    It's actually a fine time to be restricting carbs But not to an extreme amount.

See my docs below - my infant nutrition doc has breastfeeding information in it.

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

Rosegin is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by cillakat View Post
    It's actually a fine time to be restricting carbs But not to an extreme amount.

See my docs below - my infant nutrition doc has breastfeeding information in it.
    Lots of good info on there except the part about starting solids at 4 months. Solids shouldn't be given until 6 months at the earliest.

http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/so...ay-solids.html
    ~Sandy