Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Arthritis page

kalewoman is offline Member

Arthritis

Primal Fuel
    Wonder who all out there has experienced changes in arthritic symptoms since going Primal? Would love to hear your thoughts/input.

I've had knee issues since I was a kid, and elbow and finger joint pain in the last 6 months. Wondering if I can expect going Primal to help.

Thanks!

Grol is offline Senior Member
    Well, arthritis is inflammatory and PB is an anti-inflammatory diet. Still arthritis is very slow to respond to just about any treatment, so I remain hopeful. I destroyed a shoulder 25 years ago in a motorcycle accident and it's arthritic along with a knee that never rehabbed 100%. 6-7 weeks in and I cannot report anything positive on the arthritis front, but I have so many other excellent results that I will be patient with this one. :fingerscrossed:

canadianwoman is offline Senior Member
    When I was on Atkins it took 10 months before I noticed any positive differences in how my arthritis felt. I expect it will take as long here.

Griff is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kalewoman View Post
    Wonder who all out there has experienced changes in arthritic symptoms since going Primal? Would love to hear your thoughts/input.

I've had knee issues since I was a kid, and elbow and finger joint pain in the last 6 months. Wondering if I can expect going Primal to help.

Thanks!
    Within 72 hours after cutting out all grains, beans, and other starchy carbs, my arthritis (which had confined me to a wheelchair) disappeared. Gone. Completely. It has never come back unless I was stupid and had a bite of bread or cake.
    Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

Grol is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Griff View Post
    Within 72 hours after cutting out all grains, beans, and other starchy carbs, my arthritis (which had confined me to a wheelchair) disappeared. Gone. Completely. It has never come back unless I was stupid and had a bite of bread or cake.
    That sounds more like a response to eliminating an allergy. Awesome testimony though.

free3337 is offline Member
    nightshades can be a hidden source of inflammation for some.

SerialSinner is offline Senior Member
    Cooling Inflammation has some interesting posts about it the topic:
    http://coolinginflammation.blogspot....abel/arthritis
    “Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.” -Oscar Wilde
    "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." -George Bernard Shaw
    "The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass." -Martin Mull

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kalewoman View Post
    Wondering if I can expect going Primal to help.

Thanks!
    SerialSinner always has something brilliant to add so definitely read his link.

Start testing your C-Reactive Protein and make sure it's staying below one. If it's not below one, you likely need more vitamin D.....so test that too

25(OH)D. My document, linked in my sig line, has info on D testing.

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    Always with the vitamin d plugs, kat! Can't blame you, it's totally essential for nearly every aspect of health. And I'm just as bad with omega 6. Which reminds me.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1...ubmed_RVDocSum

So we see here that fish oil definitely improves arthritis, but the interesting thing is that arachidonic acid restriction (and obviously linoleic acid because it converts to arachidonic acid readily) improves it independently. This indicates that overall tissue concentration of n-3 to n-6 is hugely important for arthritis, and any inflammatory disease for that matter. Which reminds me that I eat like an overweight, arthritis-ridden, diabetic cancer patient should

Primal will help hugely. Here's plant lectins and toxins courtesy of Dr. Cordain. http://www.thepaleodiet.com/articles...itis%20PDF.pdf

All nutrients should ideally be capped off and in good ratios where applicable. I would dare to say that anyone who start following Mark's eating recommendations will have a drastic reduction in arthritis pains.
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

kalewoman is offline Member
    Grol: My fingers are crossed for you too.

canadianwoman: How bad was your arthritis prior to the start of Atkins?

Griff: That's amazing. I'm 5 days in, and my elbows/fingers still feel the same. Bummer.

Free3337: If it's nightshades, I am totally overwhelmed and I will cry. I LOVE my tomatoes and peppers.

SerialSinner: Thanks for the link. I've bookmarked it. Looks like that blog author recommends taking an omega-3 supplement with saturated fat, but to avoid saturated fat if chronic inflammation is already in place... Will have to read more and see if I can find clarification elsewhere on his blog.

cillakat: I remember reading something about c-reactive protein! But I didn't know what a healthy level was until now - thanks. So, could I just walk into a normal GP, and tell him I want these two things tested, and he will order the tests? I haven't been to a GP for so long....5 years ago I went in for my knees and was told to take ibuprofen and sent out the door. I also read your document about vitamin D, which makes sense...certainly we can't have been designed to stay indoors as much as we do. But I also wonder, what about people in cold climates (Inuit, Mongolians)...do they suffer from all of the problems associated with Vitamin D deficiency? I had previously heard that for fair-skinned folks (and I'm as pale as they come) you only needed 15 minutes or so, of exposure of arms and legs. But maybe that information is inaccurate. I don't mean to be a skeptic, but I'm wary of the supplement pushers almost as much as I'm wary of the pharmaceutical industry. Though I'm aware that Big Pharma is BIGGER and more powerful, both industries want our money.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast