Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do tinned sardines contain any Omega 3 page

Ollie is offline Senior Member

Do tinned sardines contain any Omega 3

i read somewhere that farmed fish have no omega 3 in them, and i'm assuming tinned sardines are farmed, but be please correct me if i'm wrong.

Thanks.

Love this forum

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    Farmed fish do have omega 3 in them. They have a chunk of omega 6 too so while they do have omega 3, they're not ideal for normalizing the ratio. However there is a case in which sardine flesh is being sold after the omega 3 has been extracted to make sardine oil. A good rule of thumb is that the saturated fat should be about a quarter or less of of the total fat if the tin doesn't specifically say that it has omega 3. If saturated fat is a higher percentage of the sardine, the omega 3 has been removed. Also be wary of fish canned in oil. Bad news!
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

Piscator is offline Senior Member
    I'm pretty sure they're not farmed. There's another sardine thread here recently and somebody in that thread had a company respond with their omega 3 estimated content. Also, even if farmed, I can't imagine fish having no omega 3 - perhaps less, like factory eggs versus free-range.

Why is fish canned in oil bad?

Ollie is offline Senior Member
    Thanks for the replies.

Here's what this article says which is a contradiction to what you guys have said

"Each omega-3 acid originates from a plant source. They are only found in fish because fish eat algae containing DHA and EPA. This means that farm raised fish do not contain any omega-3, they are fed grain."

Thought?

Well here is the FAQ from a sardine company asking if the sardines are farmed: http://www.crownprince.com/faq.htm#sardfarm

Makes the original question irrelevant.

But here's another link talking about farmed fish and the fish-meal and fish oil they are fed: http://www.nicholas.duke.edu/thegree...ish-pnas092009

I live near a fish hatchery (fish raised to stock lakes and streams for sport-fishing). Those fish are fed fish meal. The hatchery is in a beatiful setting and I take out-of-town guests there. You can buy the feed to throw to the trout and it is definitely fishy smelling.

tangentrider is offline Senior Member
    I make it a point to buy tinned sardines that specifically say "wild caught" (usually Crown Prince). I've never checked the lipids, though. I'll need to check that.
    Started PB late 2008, lost 50 lbs by late 2009. Have been plateaued, but that thing may just be biting the dust: more on that later.

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ollie View Post
    Thanks for the replies.

Here's what this article says which is a contradiction to what you guys have said

"Each omega-3 acid originates from a plant source. They are only found in fish because fish eat algae containing DHA and EPA. This means that farm raised fish do not contain any omega-3, they are fed grain."

Thought?
    Any green plant is going to have omega 3 in it so they're factually incorrect. Many farmed fish do eat algae or some eat parsley or other herbs. A cow derives it's omega 3 through grass for example. If the food that the fish ate didn't have omega 3 they would die, it's an essential nutrient.

Wild-caught is preferred because farmed fish usually contain a lot of omega 6 as well.

Piscator: I'll be more clear. Fish canned in olive oil are fine. Fish canned in soybean, canola, or other junk oils aren't.
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

MichaelA is offline Senior Member
    There are FARMED sardines? Corn fed? How cheap is that?

Ry
    Ry is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I don't think any sardines are farmed. They are a very small and common type of fish and farming them would not be very cost efficient.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast