Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Calorie Restriction for Longevity page

tigerinaboat is offline Junior Member

Calorie Restriction for Longevity

Shop Now
    I'm kinda new to Primal, and I read that IF can lead to longevity due to calorie restriction. I'm unsure of my exact BMR, but I know that I'm likely underweight, so I don't think I could calorie restrict anymore without negative effects. What should I do? Would it help if I did IF and ate enough for maintenance, or would that just defeat the purpose of doing it for longevity?

Elliot is online now Senior Member
    I think the idea of calorie restriction for longevity is misled. Restricting specific things, like methionine, can lengthen the lifespan without requiring a restriction of total calories. Of course, restricting total calories also restricts methionine, but it restricts everything else, which may be unnecessary.

Stupid Yeti is offline Member
    Intermittent fasting works in the same manner. I like to eat at around my maintenance or a smidge above.

Sent from my LG-LS970 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

eats.meats.west is offline Senior Member
    Do the IF but eat more nutritious calorie dense foods than what you are eating now. Benefit of IF is supposed to be letting the body do its maintenance chores without constantly having to deal with incoming food. Could benefit you and help you be at the correct weight.

Interesting. Are there any meats low in methionine? they all seem to have a high amount. and how much should i restrict it to?
    Last edited by tigerinaboat; 02-07-2014 at 08:07 PM.

Alright, so I found out gelatin is low in it and high in protein. I know it's not as good to have the cheaper, more processed kind like jell-o, but for my purposes of avoiding methionine, can I get away with it? I can't really afford grass-fed gelatin at the moment

Elliot is online now Senior Member
    I would imagine that regular gelatin is okay. You can also buy gelatinous cuts of meat and slow-cook them.

Hmm, slow cooking isn't really an option right now. I live under my parents, so I can't even eat full on paleo, I just try to suggest to my parents to buy somewhat healthier, but they get what they can afford. Is getting it from Wal-mart alright?

leighlu is offline Senior Member
    Do the best you can with what you have to work with. Walmart knox gelatin will work fine for now. If you helped out by clipping coupons or something would your parents let you have a few items? You can get coupons for about anything now a days.

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tigerinaboat View Post
    Alright, so I found out gelatin is low in it and high in protein. I know it's not as good to have the cheaper, more processed kind like jell-o, but for my purposes of avoiding methionine, can I get away with it? I can't really afford grass-fed gelatin at the moment
    The point behind grass fed food products is to get a more favorable omega 3 to omega 6 ratio in meat products with fat! Gelatin is zero fat and pure protein so you get no extra health benefits from eating grass fed gelatin to my knowlegde...
    Whoever fights trolls should see to it that in the process he does not become a troll - for when you gaze long enough into the computer screen, the computer screen will gaze back into you!
    - Gorbag Nietzsche

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast