Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How much meat per meal? How many eggs per week? Pls help a newbie. page

delmaw is offline Junior Member

Unhappy How much meat per meal? How many eggs per week? Pls help a newbie.

Primal Fuel
    54yr old diabetic woman with disabilities.
    In my 2nd week of paleo and I have only lost 1lb weight. Dropped my fruit intake and upped my veg but I am unsure how much meat/eggs to eat per meal. Should I be weighing my meat or limiting the amount of eggs per meal. I am not eating processed foods or sugar at all. Help!!!

namelesswonder is online now Moderator
    The general guideline of a palm or full hand sized piece of meat per meal is usually a good estimate for most people, though some will go bigger or small depending on their needs. I think average egg intake in a meal would be 3-4, if it's the main protein source. A lot of this is "by feel" though and you'll have to experiment to find what it right for now. Don't end every meal hungry!
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

glorth2 is offline Senior Member
    I may not be the best person to respond but I would say the best thing you can do is worry less. I'm not in your shoes. I'm 44, 6'0", 200lbs and active. I never weigh anything. I refuse to. I like a decent amount of meat as it helps me full and satisfied. I usually only have eggs on the weekend. This isn't supposed to be a diet where you feel starved.

picklepete is online now Senior Member
    PB is meant for lifelong use so 1lb in 1 week should satisfy any goals over time.

I do about 4 oz. of protein foods at lunch and 8 oz. at dinner (counting eggs as 1 oz.), though I admit that routine is budget-based.
    34//6'3"/180

Lots of: urban hiking, cycling, sprinting
    Lots of: fresh meat, seafood, eggs, organs, tubers, starch fruits, vegetables, meat fat, dairy fat, oil fruits
    Some: cured meat, dairy protein, sweet fruits, rice, pulses, tree nuts, oil seeds
    Minimal: soy, refined proteins, sugar, liquid carbohydrate, grains, refined oils, peanuts

Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    1.5g/kilogram of bodyweight OR .7-1g/lb of lean mass are good starting points for protein in a day. Doesn't matter how you break it down (1 meal or 6 meals)....that is your daily goal for protein. Eat up. Don't limit eggs or meat. They should be the centerpiece of every meal. Especially as we age your protein requirements increase.

delmaw is offline Junior Member

Wink Thanks to all of you.

Thanks to all of you for taking the time to answer my questions. I really appreciate it. Now I have a guide, YEEAAHH!

MEversbergII is online now Senior Member
    About the size of a deck of cards

I kid, see the above.

M.

YvonneJean is offline Junior Member
    I would also recommend tracking not just your weight, but other things like waist circumference, clothing size etc. Especially with women our weight can vary with hormonal fluctuations, even post menopause. My weight hasn't dropped as dramatically as some, but I can see inches off my waist.

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    You have done well to eliminate the processed foods and sugar, and to limit fruit somewhat. This will get you well on the way to good health. Obviously, you will need to eat more of the good stuff now.

I suggest base every meal around protein. Today I had two eggs at breakfast (in the form of a pancake with banana), another egg and two slices of bacon at lunch (b/c my dh came home from golf with a package of bacon that he won!), and will be having a decent sized steak for dinner.

I am 49 yo, 5'4", 58kg.

thomasboie is offline Junior Member
    I think eggs are the great source of protein and we should get two eggs in a week but also you should normal diet also.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast