Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Carb Refeeding- Does this apply to me? page

trigirl85 is offline Senior Member

Carb Refeeding- Does this apply to me?

Ok, so I just read Mark's post on re-feeding and I am wondering whether any of the very knowledgeable people on this forum might be able to tell me if it would apply to my situation. I eat LC- about 20-35 g a day as I eat only two meals a day mostly now when I'm hungry (was doing more before) and I am trying to lose fat and having a really hard time as you may have read from past posts/journal. I don't crave carbs at all, but my energy could be better but I am not really lean right now looking to get incredibly lean. I'm doing everything I'm supposed to and getting nowhere either by scale, by clothig fit, or what I look like in the mirror. Could this be because my leptin it too low and I need a re-feed day to boost it or is this just not applicable because I'm not that lean right now?
    Edible, adj.: Good to eat, and wholesome to digest, as a worm to a toad, a toad to a snake, a snake to a pig, a pig to a man, and a man to a worm. ~Ambrose Bierce

(R)evolutionary Cuisine

My Journal

tradawg is offline Senior Member
    I definitely think it's important for anyone keeping their carbs that low to do a carb-up day each week. Your leptin levels will drop if you don't and weight loss will more than likely stall. Lots of fruits, and some tubers should do the trick.

trigirl85 is offline Senior Member
    So can I only do this on a lifting day or can I do it on my swimming day which would be the next most effort for me because I sprint then. Do I need to really go up to 200 g? So 800 calories from carbs and then only protein at night before bed with very little fat?
    Edible, adj.: Good to eat, and wholesome to digest, as a worm to a toad, a toad to a snake, a snake to a pig, a pig to a man, and a man to a worm. ~Ambrose Bierce

(R)evolutionary Cuisine

My Journal

rphlslv is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by trigirl85 View Post
    So can I only do this on a lifting day or can I do it on my swimming day which would be the next most effort for me because I sprint then. Do I need to really go up to 200 g? So 800 calories from carbs and then only protein at night before bed with very little fat?
    Sounds good but go for a little more carbs... 800 calories is only 200 grams. Shoot for 3-4 X body weight in grams.
    .`.><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>
    ><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>

Pandadude is offline Senior Member
    With my understanding of refeeds, I would say no. If you have a lot of stored body fat and are not starving yourself, you will secrete sufficient leptin. Also, you don't sound like you do a lot of strenuous exercise, in which case you won't need to refill muscle glycogen as long as you're not very low carb.
    A refeed becomes important when you're lean and dieting to become leaner (even using just a slight calorie deficit), OR when you're starving yourself. Overweight individuals will secrete sufficient leptin even on a moderate calorie deficit.

On the other hand, if you feel like shaking things up, and you don't have a problem with clean carbs (insulin resistant), then I see no problem in eating higher carbs once in a while, but I probably wouldnt go very high carb very low fat more than once every ~10 days when not lean.
    Hope that helps, good luck

Quote Originally Posted by Pandadude View Post
    With my understanding of refeeds, I would say no. If you have a lot of stored body fat and are not starving yourself, you will secrete sufficient leptin. Also, you don't sound like you do a lot of strenuous exercise, in which case you won't need to refill muscle glycogen as long as you're not very low carb.
    25-30 grams is very low carb, and I do think a carb-up day would help any potential stalls in weight loss.

I wouldn't worry about what kind of day it is, exercise-wise...might give you more energy for heavier lifts.

Pandadude is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tradawg View Post
    25-30 grams is very low carb, and I do think a carb-up day would help any potential stalls in weight loss.
    You're right that could be considered VLC, but I still think it's sufficient for replenishing glycogen stores unless trigirl85 is sprinting/max-lifting/HIIT ~3 times a week, and the leptin point is moot since trigirl85 isn't lean and cutting calories, and thus it is unlikely her body is down-regulating leptin to begin with (she could even be leptin-resistant, making up-regulating it doubly moot).
    Manipulating leptin is something that's done to go from 10-15% bf to single digit body fat coupled with dieting, and there's a chance that gorging on carbs will cause weight gain for the poster.

If you've plateaued for a long time, go ahead and give it a try and see if it helps, but I think looking at other factors like cheats and micro-nutrient composition first is more important.

I don't think a day with lots of fruits and a sweet potato would be considered gorging on carbs.

rphlslv is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pandadude View Post
    You're right that could be considered VLC, but I still think it's sufficient for replenishing glycogen stores unless trigirl85 is sprinting/max-lifting/HIIT ~3 times a week, and the leptin point is moot since trigirl85 isn't lean and cutting calories, and thus it is unlikely her body is down-regulating leptin to begin with (she could even be leptin-resistant, making up-regulating it doubly moot).
    Manipulating leptin is something that's done to go from 10-15% bf to single digit body fat coupled with dieting, and there's a chance that gorging on carbs will cause weight gain for the poster.

If you've plateaued for a long time, go ahead and give it a try and see if it helps, but I think looking at other factors like cheats and micro-nutrient composition first is more important.
    You seem to know a lot about this subject... when exactly would you recommend a carb refeed then? Say I have about 5-10 pounds to lose, am lifting weights 5-6 times a week, 2000 calories and 50 grams of carbs daily... would a refeed be appropriate for me?
    .`.><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>
    ><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>

Grol is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I think lots of fruit and sweet potatoes would be gorging on carbs. I'm not against it, but I average about 20g of carbs a day. Anything over 100 would be 5xs normal and gorging.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast