Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Not Losing Much Weight page

bob.mikolich@gmail.com is offline Junior Member

Not Losing Much Weight

Shop Now
    I started following the Primal Lifestyle about three weeks ago. I am approximately 80LBS over weight. My typical intake of food during a normal day pre-primal was just about anything I wanted. Fast food 4-5 times a week, lots of deserts/sweets, lots of grains and carbs. Since I have started I have not had any grains, no fast food, no sweets (other than sugar in my coffee and dark chocolate). I do still use a small amount of organic ketchup occasionally and I eat some fruit ( maybe an apple or some pineapple daily). I a guessing I am eating about half the calories I was eating. I have found it relatively easy to follow and I feel good. While I am hungry during much of the day I don't have the "outrageous" cravings that I normally would get when trying other types of diets. My only frustration is that I have only lost about 8LBS. I typically lose about 8LBS-10LBS/Week (over the few weeks when I have tried other diets. The calorie restriction alone should generate more weight loss. I know that those pounds may have been mostly water weight but it still felt like I was accomplishing something for my efforts. I am committed to sticking with Primal because I believe in the science that supports it but I am hoping to start losing more weight at a quicker pace. Any thoughts or suggestions would be much appreciated.

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    Some more info would be helpful.
    -Height
    -Activity level
    -Average day's meals (walk us through your day/week)
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

jackmormon is offline Member
    Thoughts.... Primal is a lifestyle and not a "diet." I think 8 lbs in 3 weeks is AWESOME. Slow and steady continuing weight loss is much better than crash weight loss, regain, crash, regain, etc. I have lost around 100lbs...It took about 8 months and it is staying off with minor (normal) fluctuations. Just keep at it. Think long-term.

Thanks for the quick response.
    Sex: Male
    Height: 6"2
    Starting Weight: 280LBS
    Current Weight: 272
    Activity Level: Low, Was walking (3-5 X/week) and lifting (2X/week) regularly prior to starting Primal. Have been doing some lifting and lots of snow shoveling the past week. Not much walking and no sprinting.
    Average Days Meal: 4 fried eggs (organic Ketchup) with orgainc non-cured bacon, (6 pieces), Juice (Kale, carrots, apple), salad, wings with barbecue sauce (15), dark organic chocolate.

Agreed. I guess what has been frustrating is that I lost those 8LBS the first 5 days and I have lost nothing since. I do understand that this is not a "diet" but a life style. Thanks for the encouragement.

eats.meats.west is offline Senior Member
    Probably losing at a good sustainable rate. Patience grasshopper. Are you tracking what you eat calorie-wise? People often underestimate consumption. Lose all the sugar stuff, skip the chocolate for now, ditch the BBQ sauce, drain the juice down the sink, eat fruit and veggies, don't drink them.

pilot is offline Senior Member
    Read labels. Religiously.

youtacolot is offline Member
    Are your clothes fitting better? As far as the chow, I'd suggest eating the kale, apples, and carrots instead of juicing, which wastes some of the nutrition. Try hot sauce or salsa on the eggs and wings unless the brands of ketchup and Bbq sauce you have are low sugar.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

aknomad is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pilot View Post
    Read labels. Religiously.
    If he's eating primal, there shouldn't be many labels to read. Weighing food on the other hand...

picklepete is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bob.mikolich@gmail.com View Post
    Average Days Meal: 4 fried eggs (organic Ketchup) with orgainc non-cured bacon, (6 pieces), Juice (Kale, carrots, apple), salad, wings with barbecue sauce (15), dark organic chocolate.
    I informally rank foods based on how close to the "lean and green" core they are, meaning high-micronutrient proteins (seafood, red meat, liver) and enough roots, stems, and leaves to get potassium and vitamin C. If I want to lean down I'll eat a spartan dinner of these a few times a week, and shift the daily treats to weekly, weekly treats to monthly, and so forth.

Cured meat, juice, sugar condiments, and chocolate can play a role but they're definitely "extras" and not the types of dense self-regulating nutrition we need (organic or no). If you're dealing with anxious hunger I'd experiment with some less-dense tubers and fruits (winter squash, celeriac, parsnips, rutabaga, berries, citrus, melons)--these types of "boring" glucose can ease our protein requirement to a degree and normalize appetite but IME sweet sauces and juices have the opposite effect.
    35//6'3"/180

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast