Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Having a rough time dropping lbs. page

matt3321 is offline Junior Member

Having a rough time dropping lbs.

Primal Fuel
    I recently got my girlfriend on a paleo type diet (she still eats a serving of cheese a couple times a week). She isn't losing weight and I can't figure out why. I've got her eating around 1600 calories a day, all coming from meat and good fats and a few carbs from the veggies and a kiwi. I've got her taking fish oil, a good multi, vit d, etc. She has an office job and does not exercise.

I was just curious if any one else has heard of someone having issues dropping weight. Even though she doesn't exercise, 1500 to 1600 calories should be enough for her to drop weight, especially considering she is over 200 lbs. She has one "cheat day" a week, that I havent been able to get her off of. But I have got her to not splurge AS much. A sub, some tacos, a bit of candy, handful of chips. Not great, but we're not talking an epic buffet-esque splurge. The only thing I can think of that is stalling her weight loss is too FEW calories, but I am going to have a hard time convincing her that she has to eat more to lose weight. Any adice or tips would be great, as I think she is beginning to lose the will to stay Paleo, thanks guys and gals.

PrincessGrok is offline Senior Member
    with No exercise, and a cheat day..... There's your answer. If she has a long bad history with sugar, it will no doubt take her some time to detox all that junk out of her system. in the first weeks especially, is when I think compliance is most important, because alot of re-programming is going on. She has to drop the sugar binge day..... save that for a maintenence level. and get her out for a romantic stroll in the evening after a great dinner..... walk, talk, walk, talk...... etc.

barryman9000 is offline Senior Member
    What's up with the cheat day? What does it include? For Me, if I eat a piece of cheese cake ONCE it'll throw me off for 2 days. Focus on the weekly totals if there's a cheat day... that could add all the extra calories that are preventing weight loss. Also, if she has a "cheat day" are you sure she's Paleo when you're not looking? Sorry, that sounded a little rude, but you know what I mean. That cheat day will also trigger cravings that are hard to resist for the following days.

Cals in vs Cals out still holds true though. It's just really hard for most people to eat too many calories when you eat Primal/Paleo. Those fats and proteins stimulate hormones (like Leptin) that tell your body you're full... carbs don't.

Too few calories? Maybe, I've heard of that but normally when accompanied with exercise. Someone else might have more info.

Grol is offline Senior Member
    Has she been seen for possibly thyroid issues?

matt3321 is offline Junior Member
    Thanks for the replys. First, I am positive she stays paleo when I'm not looking, shes not the type to lie. Plus, I cook for her and I portion out her food for the week. I want to blame the cheat day as well, but when I really get into the calories, it isn't THAT bad. Like I said, a six inch sub, some tacos, and a few sweets. I just cannot see that stopping a 50 pounds + overweight individual from dropping weight on a 1500 calorie diet. The math just doesn't add up.

She hasnt been seen for thyroid issues. But I dont think thats the problem. She lost a lot of weight a few years ago doing weightwatchers. Which is SO frustrating to me, because I tell her all the time how my free range eggs and organic sausage breakfast is soo much healthier then the stupid little oatmeal breakfast weightwatchers gives you. "But why did I lose weight on weightwatchers then?". And I dont have an answer for her. Other than, "it doesnt make sense".

groquette is offline Senior Member
    I didn't need to exercise to lose weight (I lost my first 35 lbs with no exercise), but I did have to stick to the basics. If I had cheat meals or did an 80/20 approach, my weight stayed the same. So in periods I just stick to the basics and lose weight, and enjoy my occasional treats that have a higher sugar content or whatever and just realize that when I do, my weight will be more stable for a week or two.

I do have a long and troubled history with grains. Other people are able to do 80/20 and still lose weight.

jo
    jo is offline Senior Member
    To be honest you sound a bit controlling to me. You say 'I've got her doing this or that...' as if you control her. You portion her food?! It's hard enough manipulating your own body let alone someone else's. When she's making her own informed decisions about what she wants to eat and what she doesn't she will probably do better. People have more success when they listen to their own body and she can't do that if you are the one telling her what and how much to eat. She's not eating what's right for her, but what's right for you. Yes it doesn't make sense because it's not YOUR body you are feeding but hers. I don't really expect you to understand where I'm coming from, but I would back off a bit.

jrherring is offline Senior Member
    wow
    Even if you fall flat on your face, at least you're moving forward!

Yr 42

Yr 41

February Whole 30-ish

start. stop. start.stop...now ramping up to cruising speed!

barryman9000 is offline Senior Member
    Not everyone can use stored fat as easily as others. A cheat day will affect me for the next two days. For others, it might affect them for the next week. My suggestion - offer that the cheat day means she's not "eating Paleo" so it's not a fair comparison to WW. Go without the cheat day for one month and see what happens. Think of it this way: it's one month that could change the rest of her life. (Sometimes I get dramatic, Haha!)

Griff is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by matt3321 View Post
    Thanks for the replys. First, I am positive she stays paleo when I'm not looking, shes not the type to lie. Plus, I cook for her and I portion out her food for the week. I want to blame the cheat day as well, but when I really get into the calories, it isn't THAT bad. Like I said, a six inch sub, some tacos, and a few sweets. I just cannot see that stopping a 50 pounds + overweight individual from dropping weight on a 1500 calorie diet. The math just doesn't add up.
    It's not about the calories, dude, it's about the chemistry of the food. She MUST stop the cheat days or she won't have any success. Every time she cheats, she derails her body's ability to shift from burning carbs for fuel to burning fat for fuel - no two ways about it.
    Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast