Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stuck and I haven't even started! page

archinerd is offline Junior Member

Stuck and I haven't even started!

Primal Fuel
    I've been eating low carb, moderate protein and high fat for almost two weeks now and my weight has not budged AT ALL. I'm measuring my blood ketones and I'm well within the 1-3 mmL range at all times, I'm not totally sedentary and I don't eat any dairy at all except for butter and eggs. I get my fat from fatty cuts of protein, butter, coconut oil and quite a bit of coconut milk. I'm tracking my nutrients, and I'm maintaining a 70% fat 25% protein 5% fat diet consistently and faithfully. I haven't consumed excessive calories, in fact there is a deficit (although I don't think this really is the issue, but still makes it strange since I should 100% be losing weight if this is the case). I have NO IDEA what could be going on. I have about 40lbs to lose and I have never once had a problem losing weight when I've wanted to in the past, and it's always been low carb that takes the pounds off. I'm 31, fairly active, and have been eating the correct ratio of whole foods with no dairy or nuts. What could be going on? Is it the coconut milk? Or do I just have to wait longer and be patient to see any loss? I wouldn't be worried if this was a plateau after initial loss, but I just started!!!

I've scoured the internet for answers and the only suggestions I've found is to cut out dairy, which I don't consume to begin with. Please help!

Mr. Anthony is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by archinerd View Post
    but I just started!!!
    You just started. Settle down. Breathe.

Sent via lightsaber

glorth2 is offline Senior Member
    "70% fat 25% protein 5% fat"?

archinerd is offline Junior Member
    Oops, 5% carbs I meant. The reason I'm not 'settling down' is because this is highly unusual for my body and the history I have with weight loss. Also, every single resource and blog that I've read raves about that initial weight loss in the first week being almost magical. I have had no such experience. Also,Mr. Anthony, your response really wasn't super helpful. I came here looking for answers, not a lesson in patience. If you can help me by giving me information, I would be extremely grateful.

Thanks

accidentalpancake is offline Senior Member
    Oops, 5% carbs I meant. The reason I'm not 'settling down' is because this is highly unusual for my body and the history I have with weight loss. Also, every single resource and blog that I've read raves about that initial weight loss in the first week being almost magical. I have had no such experience. Also,Mr. Anthony, your response really wasn't super helpful. I came here looking for answers, not a lesson in patience. If you can help me by giving me information, I would be extremely grateful.

Thanks
    Unfortunately, Mr. Anthony really gave you the advice you need right now.

You could alternatively try upping the carbs and lowering the fat by a bit. I've never been a huge fan of the whole ketosis and VVVLC thing, and never found it to work for me. I'm usually around 12-15% carb myself (still almost entirely veggie-derived), but even that goes up to 20-30% (with starches) on days with heavy activity.
    I got 99 problems but a pancake ain't one...

My Journal

Height: 6'3"
    SW (Feb 2012): 278
    SBF: 26% (Scale)
    CW (May 2014): 198
    CBF: 14.5% (Scale)
    GW: ~190-205
    GBF: ~12%

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    Patience is one lesson. No, really. Not EVERYONE loses weight in leaps & bounds when they switch their primary intake to fat.

You could, however, try changing up the macronutrients. Less fat, more protein, or more carbs instead, while keeping calores below expenditure. I would suggest that you stick with a plan for at least a few weeks if not a whole month before changing things up. If you experiment too soon, you may miss out on your body adjusting.

What is the difference between how you are eating now and when you've done low carb in the past? If you are quite a bit older (or maybe not even quite a bit), it's possible your body is not going to lose fat in the same way as it used to.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

noodletoy is offline Senior Member
    I haven't consumed excessive calories, in fact there is a deficit (although I don't think this really is the issue, but still makes it strange since I should 100% be losing weight if this is the case).
    how much are you actually eating and how much does the computer say you "should" eat to lose?

I have NO IDEA what could be going on. I have about 40lbs to lose and I have never once had a problem losing weight when I've wanted to in the past, and it's always been low carb that takes the pounds off.
    Oops, 5% carbs I meant. The reason I'm not 'settling down' is because this is highly unusual for my body and the history I have with weight loss.
    how many times have you gained, lost, gained, lost, gained?

the metabolism is not infinitely elastic and the body prefers stasis. it doesn't "think" any weight you're carrying is extra, so each time you shake the tree it will get harder to achieve results.

maybe stop looking for a magic bullet each time you outgrow your pants and make up your mind that this will be the last time you "diet."

what exactly do you eat? it may be too much fat this time around and you might actually need more protein to lose.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

MarielleGO is online now Senior Member
    You honestly need to give it some time… Fat that has taken years to get on your body isn't going to disappear in 2 weeks.
    give it 30 days. Your body needs to switch from a carb burning engine to a fat burning engine and that will take time. Not to mention that you will probably have some carb reserves in your body that needs to be burned off first.

So 30 days of good clean eating, no short cuts, not too much nuts and dark chocolate and move. Get at least 2 or 3 hours of walking in for a week. (besides your normal exercise).
    Take care that you aren't drinking calories, coffee (a few) tea and water, stick to that.

Unlike normal diets this isn't designed to get you slim in a weeks time. Yes, there are people who have lost a lot in the first few weeks but if you read through all the journals you'll find that many people start slow...
    My story, My thought....

It's all about trying to stay healthy!!!!

Calories? Aren't that those little creatures that live in my closet and shrink my clothes at night?
    AN EARTH WARRIOR!!!!

Warmbear is offline Senior Member
    Heya and welcome.

so you have eaten low carb to loose weight before? then went off it and gained weight again and you imply that you have been through a few up down cycles. Well then. I suspect what you have done is trained your body to respond to low carb by not loosing weight.

Paleo is less about loosing weight and more about adopting a healthy lifestyle. I would suggest you stop worrying about your macros so much and eat a good healthy paleo diet that is lowish carb, high protein and highish fat.

VLC diets can be very stressful and if you have just thrown yourself at this once again you have just re stressed your system. Stick to the 50-75 g a day carbs depending on your activity and base your meals around protein instead of fats. If in a few months of this you want to start hacking your diet at least you will have some experience eating paleo to know what things should feel like.

You probably wont loose weight quickly but eating enough good quality food and getting good sleep, enough exercise and reducing stress where you can will likely result in health. Health will result in fat loss.

Are you walking enough? are you lifting heavy 2 or 3 times a week? are you getting a solid 8 ish hours sleep? How much are you eating? How big are you?

Do you have other health concerns aside from weight loss? Have they improved? It is possible that your diet is going to heal your body before loosing fat.

so yes calm down, stop doing the paleo diet by the numbers and learn to give the lifestyle a chance.

good luck.
    Last edited by Warmbear; 02-06-2014 at 11:41 AM.
    Primal since April 2012 Male 6' 3" SW 345lbs CW 240lbs GW 220lbs and when I get there I am getting a utlikilt. This one http://www.utilikilts.com/company/pr...ilts/workmans/ actually.

Join me at www.paleoplanet.net, where all the cavemen hang out.

YvonneJean is offline Junior Member
    Also, how much weight do you have to lose? A lot of the claims of dramatic initial weight loss come from people with a large percentage of excess weight, and they often come from a very bad diet. If you are eating SAD and lots of junk food, the dramatic change will see dramatic results. If you go from healthier SAD, it is less of an adjustment.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast