Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 142

Thread: Anyone eat moderate macros? page 2

  1. #11
    Alfi56's Avatar
    Alfi56 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    California
    Posts
    461
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Timthetaco View Post
    First of all, here's this.
    Humans don't really use protein for energy, and glucose is oxidized preferentially over fat, so by virtue of those facts, a mixed diet can be more fattening than diets extremely low in either fat or carbohydrates because of the mixed fuels competing for oxidation. .
    .
    So in theory, is it actually preferable to eat a higher carb or higher fat diet? I'm trying to adjust my macros right now, and its funny you mention overeating and being sedentary because I am actually trying to gain weight but am not very active, so was wondering if i should be preferring carbs, fats, or moderate amounts of both to minimize fat gain.
    [ I know people will automatically recommend strength training and "Why aren't you active", but I've been having low energy lately and also have a minor lower back injury I don't want to exacerbate. ]

    Also, why is it suggested to not eat as many carbs if you are not active, if you have to eat >300g for it to be stored as fat?

  2. #12
    Reventon's Avatar
    Reventon is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    1,031
    ^I reckon you'll drive yourself nuts doing it any other way. Every few months, I'll jump on Fitday to get a rough gauge of what I'm doing and how, and it reconfirms what I generally guess (apart from telling me I'm at a 1186 kCal daily caloric defecit, which is a load of horse shit), but I couldn't do it full time. It's just too time consuming and annoying. I couldn't sit down and micromanage my food every day. I honestly don't know how so many people do that shit to themselves and tolerate it for months or years upon end.

    Basically, more than 2 days straight on Fitday and my stomach leaps out of my esophagus, screaming "PUNY MAN!!! NO ONE CAN CHAIN THE HULK!!!"

    Or something along those lines.

  3. #13
    Neckhammer's Avatar
    Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    7,731
    Quote Originally Posted by Alfi56 View Post
    Also, why is it suggested to not eat as many carbs if you are not active, if you have to eat >300g for it to be stored as fat?
    Because glucose is high octane fuel. Fat is diesel. Sitting, breathing, walking, most work, typing, sleeping....all generally fueled with oxygen/aerobic respiration (so fat). So in theory eating to fulfill your bodily needs would not require vast amounts of carbs if you are not lifting, sprinting, playing sport, or otherwise working in the glycolytic pathway on a regular basis.

  4. #14
    Reventon's Avatar
    Reventon is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    1,031
    Quote Originally Posted by Alfi56 View Post
    So in theory, is it actually preferable to eat a higher carb or higher fat diet? I'm trying to adjust my macros right now, and its funny you mention overeating and being sedentary because I am actually trying to gain weight but am not very active, so was wondering if i should be preferring carbs, fats, or moderate amounts of both to minimize fat gain.
    [ I know people will automatically recommend strength training and "Why aren't you active", but I've been having low energy lately and also have a minor lower back injury I don't want to exacerbate. ]

    Also, why is it suggested to not eat as many carbs if you are not active, if you have to eat >300g for it to be stored as fat?
    Ok. Let's eliminate some confusion first off. When you say gain weight, the only way to gain muscle is through adaptation. Whether you train with a barbell, your own bodyweight, a sandbag, a rock or a can of soup, you need to train your body to feel it needs more strength to survive, otherwise it won't bother building it. Muscle is metabolically expensive, so unless your body is faced with the need to adapt, it will keep the level of muscle it has right now, because the hormonal survival signals it's receiving are telling it that it doesn't need any more. Same goes for building bone density and the surrounding ligaments and support structure. You can inject yourself with enough anabolic steroids to kill a rhino and eat ten times your bodyweight in protein. Without lifting stuff, you'll just get fat. With the streoids, you'll particularly get upper back fat and backne.

    Bodyfat, on the other hand, you can build any time you eat enough. It's metabolically very cheap for the body to do this and in a survival situation, extremely useful. Whether you eat enough calories through carbs or fat is largely irrelevant. The only difference is your body can use ingested fat for other purposes. Carbs, it's either store or burn. You're going to have a post prandial insulin spike either way if you're eating to a caloric surplus, so it's quite literally potato/poh tah toe.

    The idea you need to eat 300 grams or more of carbs per day to start storing fat is not true. Marks carb curve is just a very general guide for the sedentary folk largely eating processed food and refined grains. To store fat, you just need to eat enough. How you get that energy through macro breakdown is neither here nor there.

    If you want muscle mass and better bone density, you need to motivate yourself to get your arse into gear. There's no nice sugar coated way to put it. You don't need to load a barbell with double your bodyweight. You can start small. But you need to perform some kind of resistance workout to drive adaptation.

  5. #15
    Alfi56's Avatar
    Alfi56 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    California
    Posts
    461
    Oh haha I don't actually calculate my macros every day- I just logged it for maybe a couple days and those are what it averaged out to.
    So would it be better for me to increase my fats if I'm trying to gain weight but not very active, for minimal fat gain? I know on other threads there's also discussion on how fats are directly stored as fat, whereas carbs are more thermogenic. I know either way excess calories=weight gain, but what is the best to minimize fat gain? I also find my energy levels are low and I eat too much protein, so was wondering if I should use carbs, fats, or moderate amounts of both to replace some of my protein intake.

  6. #16
    Neckhammer's Avatar
    Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    7,731
    Quote Originally Posted by Alfi56 View Post
    Oh haha I don't actually calculate my macros every day- I just logged it for maybe a couple days and those are what it averaged out to.
    So would it be better for me to increase my fats if I'm trying to gain weight but not very active, for minimal fat gain? I know on other threads there's also discussion on how fats are directly stored as fat, whereas carbs are more thermogenic. I know either way excess calories=weight gain, but what is the best to minimize fat gain? I also find my energy levels are low and I eat too much protein, so was wondering if I should use carbs, fats, or moderate amounts of both to replace some of my protein intake.
    Yikes...this is only getting worse. See this is why I suggest people read the book and just follow that for a month or two. You over complicating this in part because you relying on what I would call forum theory. Ditch forum theory. Eat PB by the book. Find an activity to enjoy. Report back in a month. A slight back issue is no reason to become completely sedentary! Actually it is quite the opposite.

  7. #17
    Alfi56's Avatar
    Alfi56 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    California
    Posts
    461
    "Whether you eat enough calories through carbs or fat is largely irrelevant. The only difference is your body can use ingested fat for other purposes. Carbs, it's either store or burn. You're going to have a post prandial insulin spike either way if you're eating to a caloric surplus, so it's quite literally potato/poh tah toe. "

    If macros don't matter, why do people trying to gain strength tend to eat high carb on workout days, and higher fat on recovery days? I get that high carb fuels workouts, but why the higher fat when resting to minimize fat gains?

    on another note, I had the same question as Jason too, about combining fat & carbs in the same meal?

  8. #18
    Diana Renata's Avatar
    Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    Posts
    5,394
    I guess I'm about as moderate as it gets, in that I don't really pay any attention to what I eat. I mean, I don't really track it. Some days are really high fat, others high carb. Some days it's a protein day. It comes down to what's available and what sounds good... and I think it just sort of sorts itself out.

  9. #19
    Timthetaco's Avatar
    Timthetaco Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Alfi56 View Post
    So in theory, is it actually preferable to eat a higher carb or higher fat diet? I'm trying to adjust my macros right now, and its funny you mention overeating and being sedentary because I am actually trying to gain weight but am not very active, so was wondering if i should be preferring carbs, fats, or moderate amounts of both to minimize fat gain.
    [ I know people will automatically recommend strength training and "Why aren't you active", but I've been having low energy lately and also have a minor lower back injury I don't want to exacerbate. ]

    Also, why is it suggested to not eat as many carbs if you are not active, if you have to eat >300g for it to be stored as fat?
    It's suggested to keep the carbs low because people around here think carbs make you fat. It used to be because of insulin. Maybe it still is, I don't know. To clear up the confusion about my 300 gram comment, my point was that your body doesn't turn glucose into fat until your glycogen stores are completely filled, which happens far beyond the common gram counts you'll see recommended here, so any theoretical narrative you see about too many carbs making you fat is a flat-out lie.

    As for high carb versus high fat to gain weight while sedentary, I'm personally biased toward HCLF. I don't know if my opinion would hold more weight in light of the fact that I actually did regain a significant amount of weight with that approach after I accidentally ended up at an impressively gaunt 150 pounds (at 6 feet) with a ketogenic diet. I gained fat as well, but I was overeating and not eating the best of foods, and the fat came off when I cleaned up my diet again. I don't think you can go wrong with lots of fruit, lots of starch, and lots of lean protein. Despite cries to the contrary, there is no such thing as a deficiency of saturated fat.
    Last edited by Timthetaco; 02-05-2014 at 09:27 PM.

  10. #20
    biko's Avatar
    biko is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    amsterdam
    Posts
    254
    Dunno, but, when I was trying to stick with certain numbers I felt worse and worse.
    After reading like a zillion contradicting articles I'm now more and more at eating what and how much I feel like. Just throw out all the bad stuff.

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •