Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Paleo leaves me hungry page

katinh is offline Junior Member

Paleo leaves me hungry

Primal Fuel
    Hi
    I am an endurance athlete who has been on and off paleo for the last few years.
    I feel better when on paleo but tend to eat up to 4000 calories (my recommended is approx 2500) of "paleo foods" and never feel full or satisfied so end up giving in and eating oats etc to fill me up.
    Are there any foods I should consider eating more of? Perhaps red meat etc?

Daily I usually consume a large amount of fruit, nuts/coconut oil, veg, fish. 1 meal includes meat other than fish and potato or rice.

Any advice would be great, fanks

Misabi is online now Senior Member
    Have you put on excess body fat eating that much? If not, it's what you need.

If you can give more info, such as your age, sex, height and weight, as well as an example of an average day's food and activity, I'm sure folks will be able to assist.
    If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Quote Originally Posted by Misabi View Post
    Have you put on excess body fat eating that much? If not, it's what you need.

If you can give more info, such as your age, sex, height and weight, as well as an example of an average day's food and activity, I'm sure folks will be able to assist.
    I havnt put weight on, but I would like to loose a couple of kgs.

18, female, 5ft 3, 50kg
    Daily meal may include:
    Cod fillet, 4 bananas, 200g nuts, 4 oranges, 1/2 melon, 4 apples, 200g spinach, 250g beef, portion of rice, potato, veg soup, 5 Tps olive oil, 6Tps coconut oil, salmon, 1L almond milk, 15 oat cakes

Sorry it's not very accurate I don't tend to measure.. Just eat

I run twice a day approx 13 mile altogether and am moderately active throughout the day

Hope this helps

earthlymumma is offline Senior Member
    Lose kg? What for? You must be thin already?!

TQP
    TQP is online now Senior Member
    Run less. You won't be as hungry.
    JOURNAL.

Gelatin/bone broth recipes blog. (Latest recipe: Favorite Smoothies Recipes!)

Professional Style Website. (Latest features: Andrea, Random House Author; Tara, Digital Media Producer)

Sweatpants are a sign of defeat. You lost control of your life so you bought some sweatpants.- Karl Lagerfeld

nettasaura is offline Senior Member
    That's only about 110 pounds. Barring very tiny bone structure at your height, I would say you don't need to lose any weight whatsoever and if you are running 13 miles a day plus other activities, then I think 4,000 calories might even be too low of an intake. If you aren't gaining weight eating that much, then keep at it. Your body needs fuel if want to keep running it the way that you do. If you don't want to eat that much, then I agree with Turquoise - cut down on the running quite a bit.

nettasaura is offline Senior Member
    Also I would say since that overqualifies as chronic cardio, you need higher carbs than the average Primal person. Potatoes, white or parboiled rice. Sweet potatoes are great because they are high in potassium which will help keep your electrolytes more in balance. Plantains can be used green as a flour substitute or dried into chips, used ripe for desserts. If you aren't sensitive, maybe consider adding dairy back in too.

Thanks, I know this amount of running isn't typically paleo but I would like to run as a profession so must keep it up, also I only wanted to loose 2kgs as when I peak I need to be light.
    Thanks for the advice!

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    More protein. Your needs are high, at least 1g per pound of lean bodyweight. 250g steak is only 62g of protein. I figure you need a lot more than that.

Add some eggs. You could combine them with your bananas and make pancakes. Or put them in your oatcakes.

More starchy veges to fill you up - potato, kumara, carrot, pumpkin. combine with cream/cheese/butter/ or roast in the meat drippings.

To get the calories in quicker than plain fruit, make primal "icecream" with frozen fruit and cream or coconut cream. Make primal truffle balls with nuts/dried fruits/butter or coconut oil/cocoa/vanilla.

Greek yoghurt.

Add meaty bones to your vege soup.
    Last edited by Annieh; 02-05-2014 at 01:11 AM.

cantare is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sagarg View Post
    Hello,
    Well if you eat fish more than meat then it will be more energetic and gives you good amount of calories and protein...
    ???
    6' 2" | Age: 42 | SW: 341 | CW: 198 | GW: 180?

“Life can only be understood backwards, but it must be lived forwards.”
    ― Søren Kierkegaard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast