Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Help me fix my GERD, please ! page

StrongCheck is offline Member

Help me fix my GERD, please !

Shop Now
    Ive read a lot of threads on here, but was hoping to get some tailored suggestions.

Ive had GERD for about 11 years and have been on a PPI ever since. Prior to the GERD I had put on 60lb in one year. I woke up one day with pain so bad I couldn't work. I was drinking to much, eating to much, stressful job and was obese. So looking back it makes sense. However instead of talking to me about my diet, lifestyle and weight, the doctor gave me the PPI and I continued that lifestyle up until recently. Ive developed a lot of other health problems since, which I think are related to permeable gut etc.

So Ive always natural been a paleo style eater, but Ive now cut out all grains, sugar, processed food etc. Im basically eating a variant of what fodmaps, gaps and k kresser suggest.

Still not doing very good, WHATEVER I eat gives me GERD. Not necessarily acidy as Im still taking the PPI, but everything gets a bit burpy and refluxy. I feel very tender around the esophagus region when food goes down too.

Im currently about 50lb overweight and its dropping nicely. I think weight, or more to the point fat around the internals is squeezing my stomach so I have less room for food hence why it comes out. Plausible?

So what Im hoping is the more weight I lose the lesser a problem GERD becomes. Because all foods are trigger foods for me, where as before the weight gain 12 years ago, I had no trigger foods.

I believe I have a permeable gut. I have intense IBS etc. I also think my bacteria is out fo whack, perhaps to do with throwing up so much after hard nights drinking. Ive also developed an auto immune condition.

So Im a bit confused where to start. Ive basically done 30 days of a strict protocol with no joy. Perhaps the gut needs to be healed more intensely I dont know.....

Thank you in advance :-)

Polite bump :-)

tatertot is offline Senior Member
    Let those who have dyspepsia—and that means a multitude of ills which the American people in their luxurious habits are fast bringing upon themselves—try for a time the potato diet. We have tried it not for months, but a few days at a time—long enough to satisfy us of its good effects. Newspaper article from 1849

Visit my blog: VEGETABLE PHARM

noodletoy is online now Senior Member
    both gerd and ibs are manifestations -- not diseases, per se.

other than eating primal what are you doing about healing your gut? bone broth? fermented foods? how is your sleep?
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

– Ernest Hemingway

thanks all.

bone broth, green juice, glutamine, good fats, probiotics, digestive enzymes.

im yet to try stopping the PPI and using the hcl/pentin tablets i read in kressers document.

Grizz is offline Banned
    The lack of iodine in the diet is also associated with GERD, or Gastric Esophageal Reflux Disease. This common ailment causes heartburn, sour stomach, acid indigestion, and a reflux of the stomach’s contents into the esophagus (throat). Most doctors recommend the use of antacids such as Prilosec, Tagamet, Pepcid AC, Zantac, Tums, or others to control the symptoms and suppress acid production. What they don’t realize is that the problem is NOT an overproduction of stomach acid, but an UNDERPRODUCTION of stomach acid, hydrochloric acid (HCl) in particular. This underproduction can be directly related to iodine deficiency, as iodine is essential for the normal production of HCl! Suppressing the production of what little HCl is being produced only exacerbates the problem. Simply supplementing with iodine can solve the problem of GERD and its associated symptoms.
    Many Americans are iodine deficient - are you one of them? - West Palm Beach Holistic Health | Examiner.com
    Nexium, proton pump inhibitors, anti-acids will deplete the Minerals in your body and cause most of the symptoms
    listed below. It can also cause Osteoporosis, Loss of Bone Density, Fractures and other health conditions.

I had Acid Reflux for many years and was prescribed Acid Reflux Medication, which didn't cure the problem. After
    years of research, I discovered the cause and CURED my Acid Reflux.

To test for Mineral Depletion in your body caused by Acid Reflux Mediaction, order your Hair Mineral Analysis now.

Acid Reflux is caused by too little HYDROCHLORIC acid in the stomach, not too much acid. Acid Reflux Medication
    or antacids costs Taxpayers some $30 Billion Dollars a year plus another $100 Billion in additional Sick Care cost
    since Acid Reflux medication blocks the absorption of vital nutrients.

See Hair Analysis Report below and the consequences of taking Acid Reflux Medication, Anti Acids or Proton Pump
    Inhibitors.

Do you take Anti-acids or Acid Reflux Medication? Research has shown that Anti Acids can block the absorption of vital nutrients and lead to
    Hip Fractures, Osteoporosis, Food Allergies, Inflammatory Bowel Disease, Ulcers, and other health problems. If you have suffered Loss of Bone
    Density, Osteoporosis or Fracture, you may have a Legal Claim.

Anti Acids also deplete Vitamin B 12, Folic Acid, Vitamin D, Calcium, Iron and Zinc from your body.

Warning: If you take Acid Reflux medication or Anti-Acids during pregnancy, you may be blocking the absorption of vital nutrients to your child. I
    believe this might cause many health conditions including Autism. PLEASE send to everyone you know that is pregnant.

Anti acids and Proton pump Inhibitors for very young children can block the absorption of vital nutrients, cause respiratory
    infections and lead to a lifetime of health problems. If your doctor tries to place your child on Acid Reflux Medication, ask him to sign a
    document stating that the medication will not cause any long term side effects.

My research on adults using Acid Reflux medication for two years has shown a serious decrease in the absorption of vital minerals which has
    lead to many health problems.

Acid Upset or Acid Reflux occurs when food stays in the stomach for too long a period of time and ferments and develop gases that bubble up
    into the esophagus, producing that acid feeling in your throat.

A simple test can help you determine if your stomach needs more acid. Purchase Bragg Apple Cider Vinegar at you local health food store. If
    not available, use unprocessed apple cider vinegar or if you have too use regular apple cider vinegar.

This formula can be used 15 minutes prior to eating, during a meal or afterwards. Use 1 or 2 teaspoons of apple cider vinegar in 8 ounces of
    warm water. If this is too tart you can add a teaspoon of honey.

If your acid upset goes away or doesn't occur, then you may need HCL and enzymes with your meal. Contact us for information on a food based
    digestive aid. If the Apple Cider Vinegar makes it worse you may have a problem with your acid buffering system, an ulcer or a lack of
    enzymes. Contact us for information.

You can also try eating smaller meals more often with limited amounts of protein. Too much protein at one time requires large amounts of
    Hydrochloric Acid to digest it. If that fails try Pure Bicarbonate of Soda in food and water. Chew your food thoroughly until it turns to mush
    before you swallow.

Why does your stomach produce a very powerful acid?
    The acid is used to break down your foods, especially proteins, vitamins, minerals, etc so your intestines can extract the nutrients to provide
    nutrition and energy to your body.

Nexium, or other Proton Pump Inhibitor drugs and anti acids can block the production of this vital acid and reduce the absorption of the
    nutrients from you foods and supplements and can cause many other health conditions.

If you are taking any of the Proton Pump inhibitors and are experiencing other health conditions since starting these drugs, please order a hair
    mineral analysis. Click on Buy Now to order your Hair Mineral Analysis Kit now.

Most anti acids contain Aluminum, a heavy metal, which has been associated with Alzheimer's disease, ADD/ADHD, Learning Disabilities, etc.

The knowledge you gain may save you from a life of pain and suffering. You can also contact us and tell us your story.

Iodine deficiency and "Poor digestion" - Besides the Thyroid, the stomach and salivary glands are major users of iodine. Most
    people do not produce enough stomach acid as they grow older. Low gastric acidity can be caused by iodine deficiency, as iodine promotes
    stomach acidity!" Click on Iodine for details.

Long term Results of using Anti acids
    Nexium and other anti acids deplete minerals from your body causing a host of other medical conditions. When the first four minerals
    (Calcium, Magnesium. Sodium, Potassium) are below normal, the body has a hard time functioning properly. The depletion of these and other
    minerals can cause Depression, Diabetes, Hypothyroidism and many other conditions.

Antacid drugs lowers the Stomach Acid and can cause Leaky Gut Syndrome, Inflammatory Bowel
    Disease, Ulcers, Diabetes, Stomach Cancer, etc.

Nexium and other Anti-Acids normally deplete the First Four Minerals in the body, but in this case has
    depleted all mineral levels and has caused a life time of suffering.

See Presenting Symptoms of this client after 10 years on Acid Reflux drugs below.

Acid reflux and Heart Burn is caused by Iodine deficiency
    See our Testimonials for Stomach
    http://tinyurl.com/iodine-testimonials

How to supplement with iodine:
    http://tinyurl.com/Iodine-Handout

More below my message,

Grizz

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    Really do try Chris Kresser's suggestions with the enzymes and betaine HCL. It could help immensely.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    If it were me, I'd immediately ditch the PPI's and begin a Betaine HCL protocol. Read the following:

Heartburn/GERD

p.s. I'm not a doctor, medical professional, psychic medium, or in any other way qualified to diagnose, treat, advise, suggest things to, entertain, or educate you in any way.
    The Champagne of Beards

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post
    Really do try Chris Kresser's suggestions with the enzymes and betaine HCL. It could help immensely.
    Damn, she beat me to it. I'll get you next time, namelesswonder!
    The Champagne of Beards

Drumroll is online now Senior Member
    Yes to small doses of betaine HCL (but don't become reliant on it), feel free to ad-lib on the digestive enzymes though! Start with large doses of those and titrate down over time as your GERD gets better.

Another option is a strong tincture of digestif bitters such as this:

About Bitters | Urban Moonshine

As the website states, the bitter flavors tell your body that food is coming, so placing some under the tongue for a few minutes about fifteen minutes before you eat will tell your body that it is time to start producing saliva and stomach acid which will both majorly assist in digesting your food. You can find bitters at any health food store or liquor store (since they're often included in alcoholic cocktails). You don't need to buy a brand specifically marketed for the digestive and health benefits, any brand of "bitters" should do the trick.

Bitters are, overall, safer than betaine HCL because instead of "replacing" your body's natural HCL content (which can shut off your natural production), it actually signals your body to produce MORE naturally.

Edit: Squeezing and then drinking the juice of 1/2 to 1 lemon or lime can also assist in digestion. It's an acid in the stomach and will assist in the breakdown of food, so take a few minutes before you eat. Bonus, once it's out of the stomach and in your blood and other cells, lemon or lime juice is one of the BEST net akalinizers you can intake for the body!
    Last edited by Drumroll; 02-05-2014 at 03:47 PM.
    "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast