Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: chocolate milk after a workout? page

joshua76 is offline Member

chocolate milk after a workout?

Shop Now
    I eat according to the Primal Blueprint pretty much right at the 80/20 rule. I do have a big glass of chocolate milk after my weight lifting sessions (3 x a week). My question is; am i doing more harm then good by doing this? I stick to the Horizon organic brand, it has 8g of protein, 27g of suger, and 27g of carbs per 1cup. The sugar comes from organic evaportated cane juice (but is that really any better then table sugar as far as the way your body handels it)? Any thoughts would be great, or any other post workout ideas would be helpful also! Oh, and i do IF every so often after a work out too, and i workout first thing in the morning on an empty stomach as well.

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    Would be more primal and more protein (and tastier) if you added one raw egg and a big splash of whole cream to that milk!
    Cane juice / table sugar is probably the same thing - better than HFCS. If you drink a pint, though, isn't that 54 grams of carbs from sugar?

abdominator is offline Junior Member
    Instead,TRy wheatgrass smoothie with coconut milk/water thats my secret to popping green veins lol.

simplyryde is offline Member
    I use Choc. Milk post workout as well. Maybe once or twice a week. I find it is a great recovery drink after a long bike ride 2+ hours. It has a good amount of calories, and tastes great. It will usually hold me over until I can get in a good high quality meal. I used to drink a coke, but I can't take that sugar rush now.

Thanks

Thanks for the tips and suggestions, i eat a lot of eggs, haven't tried to eat one raw yet. Think I will try it after my next workout!

Daemonized is offline Senior Member
    I wouldn't want to make a habit out of drinking that much sugar either. If you want the protein maybe try some unflavored protein why powder with water (or milk if you like) and mix in some unsweetened cocoa powder if you need some chocolate taste.

Yeah the sugar is the part i was worried about, may just use the organic whole white milk and a little of the cocoa powder. I have done great at eleminating all most all other forms of sugar, might as well get rid of those extra almost 60g thats been in my post workout drink.

Pandadude is offline Senior Member
    Well chocolate milk is actually the traditional go to recovery drink, albeit in a CW way where you want to consume simple sugars PWO. if its a glycogen depleting workout the carbs would probably be put to use, and the casein/whey blend of milk has been shown to be superior to just whey. My biggest worry would be if the chocolate milk contained additives and preservatives, which a lot do, but it seems like your brand is clean. Maybe I would opt for raw or whole milk if available over chocolate, but really such details probably won't make a noticeable difference.

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    I was looking at the label on my organic whole milk, 12g carbs per cup - that's all lactose, right? Should that be treated just the same way as any other sugar? Yes I can tolerate lactose (herder ancestry! Yay!).

Beefsister is offline Senior Member
    For best weightlifting results, carbs are kind of necessary. Chocolate milk is fine, as long as you aren't diabetic/trying to lose weight.
    Remember, you are unique just like everybody else.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast