Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: Alright, all done organizing: hows this sound? page

  1. #1
    James Ming's Avatar
    James Ming is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    130

    Alright, all done organizing: hows this sound?

    Shop Now
    6' tall, ~165#, prob somewhere around 15-17% body fat maybe less idk for sure, teenage, 2500-2800 maintenance calories, looking to lose some body fat and maintain as best as possible/ possibly gain strength in my power/oly lifts.

    Training days: mon, wed, fri

    3000 cals
    60% carbs 350-450 grams (not including non starchy veg) mainly from sweet potato, fruit, rice, and some oats
    20% protein 160 grams
    ~20% fat 60-80 grams

    workouts are basic starting strength: deadlift/clean, squat, bench/over head press


    Off days: tues, thurs, sat, sun

    1800-2000 cals
    15%carb <100 grams from leaves, non starchy veg, and fruit
    35% protein 160 grams
    50% fat ~100 grams

    exercise includes 1-2 times a week tabata row, kettlebell, body weight, or barbell complex
    light calisthenics
    stretching
    oly lifting technique work


    saturday: 20 hr fast
    sunday: carb load @~2000 cals, low fat

    All days except saturday have 12:00 noon-8:00 pm eating window w/ a 16 hour fast

    suggestions, opinions, comments?
    Last edited by James Ming; 02-03-2014 at 06:05 PM.

  2. #2
    Reventon's Avatar
    Reventon is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    872
    At your height and bodyweight?

    MOAR PROTEINZ. MOAR MILK (if you tolerate it).

    Shredding and body comp changes will occur as you pack on muscle. At your height, you ain't carrying much muscle mass at all. Even if you maintain body fat or add a couple of pounds, but put on 20 pounds of lean mass (eminently achievable, given your age and frame), your bodyfat % will drop by miles.

    If you're obese, dropping fat while makin gainz isn't just achievable, it's optimal.

    Bro, you ain't obese. You're skinny.

    Carb loading isn't something you need to over analyze. Eat from good sources according to appetite. If you're lifting like a boss, you've had enough. If you're not, you haven't. But they're an easy source of calories when gaining.

    Lift hard, eat fucktons of protein, eat carbs until full and don't neglect good fat and zinc sources for testosterone production. Lift safe, but go balls out.

    I personally wouldn't worry about calorie counting but adopt a seefood diet approach with clean, primal sources; you see food, you eat it. Don't cap calories on days off. If you're hungry, eat. You're young and slim. Enjoy your metabolism while it's firing on all cylinders.
    Last edited by Reventon; 02-03-2014 at 07:03 PM.

  3. #3
    Neckhammer's Avatar
    Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    7,662
    Good luck.

    Only you will know how well it works. Don't be afraid make changes based on objective data after the first few weeks. Ie. how much you can lift or if your BF is responding as you think it should.

    I'm not analytical enough to go this route, but hope it works for ya.
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 02-03-2014 at 07:04 PM.

  4. #4
    OldSchhool's Avatar
    OldSchhool is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    British Columbia
    Posts
    2,238
    I'd say concentrate on building strength in the main lifts and forget the tabata row, kettlebell, body weight, or barbell complex
    light calisthenics, stretching and oly lifting technique work.

  5. #5
    jfreaksho's Avatar
    jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    1,962
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSchhool View Post
    I'd say concentrate on building strength in the main lifts and forget the tabata row, kettlebell, body weight, or barbell complex
    light calisthenics, stretching and oly lifting technique work.
    The only thing I might keep is the stretching/mobility work, and the oly technique. Maybe. That much extra work will detract from your lifts pretty quickly.

  6. #6
    Joshy's Avatar
    Joshy is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    120
    He mentioned that his main goal was to lose body fat, and hopefully maintain strength as well as possible. In that case, putting all the focus into Starting Strength doesn't make all that much sense.

    Focus on nutrition first. You don't need 450g carbs on your lifting days. That's 1800 calories. If you're looking to get leaner, that's not going to do you much good. Get more fat and protein. 150g or so of carbs will more than cover your needs for that program -- you're not running a marathon.

    Second, I have all the love in the world for Starting Strength, but if strength isn't really your main goal, you'd probably be better off with a program that doesn't involve resting for 3-4 minutes between each set of 5. As much as MDAers seem to hate anything that gets your heart rate up, a circuit/metabolic based strength program will usually do a better job helping you lean out.

    Good luck!
    Last edited by Joshy; 02-05-2014 at 07:17 AM.
    Webptrainer.com
    The Latest in Nutrition and Anatomy-Based Personal Training.

  7. #7
    Reventon's Avatar
    Reventon is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    872
    Quote Originally Posted by Joshy View Post
    He mentioned that his main goal was to lose body fat, and hopefully maintain strength as well as possible. In that case, putting all the focus into Starting Strength doesn't make all that much sense.

    Focus on nutrition first. You don't need 400g carbs on your lifting days. That's 2400 calories. If you're looking to get leaner, that's not going to do you much good. Get more fat and protein. 150g or so of carbs will more than cover your needs for that program -- you're not running a marathon.

    Second, I have all the love in the world for Starting Strength, but if strength isn't really your main goal, you'd probably be better off with a program that doesn't involve resting for 3-4 minutes between each set of 5. As much as MDAers seem to hate anything that gets your heart rate up, a circuit/metabolic based strength program will usually do a better job helping you lean out.

    Good luck!
    Dude. You're ignoring his starting point. He's a young string bean. Yes, he could work at purely cutting fat, but the reality is doing so on a strength training program is annoying. It makes your workouts more difficult due to lack of energy and makes progression harder.

    When you could alternatively just pack on lean mass via eating more, dropping your body fat % at the same time. If he visually wants to lean out some after that (assuming the muscle gain doesn't make him look lean enough to suit his goals), it's much easier to cut when you have more mass because you'll be more insulin sensitive.

    Win/win.
    Last edited by Reventon; 02-05-2014 at 05:44 AM.

  8. #8
    sbhikes's Avatar
    sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Santa Barbara
    Posts
    9,337
    You're a teenage boy with 15% bodyfat and you are counting calories and trying to lose more fat? Dud. EAT and LIFT. Don't worry about the rest.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 170 x 3. Current Deadlift: 220 x 3

  9. #9
    Joshy's Avatar
    Joshy is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    120
    Quote Originally Posted by Reventon View Post
    Dude. You're ignoring his starting point. He's a young string bean. Yes, he could work at purely cutting fat, but the reality is doing so on a strength training program is annoying. It makes your workouts more difficult due to lack of energy and makes progression harder.

    When you could alternatively just pack on lean mass via eating more, dropping your body fat % at the same time. If he visually wants to lean out some after that (assuming the muscle gain doesn't make him look lean enough to suit his goals), it's much easier to cut when you have more mass because you'll be more insulin sensitive.

    Win/win.
    I mostly agree with you. There's definitely some conflict between what he SHOULD be doing and what he wants. If you're 15-17% in your teens, you should just focus on eating HEALTHY (I'd honestly avoid calorie counting) and really emphasizing your form (ala Starting Strength -- hopefully you have the book, not just the program).

    That being said, I'm not on board with 1800 carb calories for someone not doing endurance training. And while Starting Strength is an awesome program (which I agree he should do), as far as fat loss goes, it certainly wouldn't be my go-to.

    Cheers
    Last edited by Joshy; 02-05-2014 at 07:18 AM.
    Webptrainer.com
    The Latest in Nutrition and Anatomy-Based Personal Training.

  10. #10
    sbhikes's Avatar
    sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Santa Barbara
    Posts
    9,337
    Quote Originally Posted by Joshy View Post
    I mostly agree with you. There's definitely some conflict between what he SHOULD be doing and what he wants. If you're 15-17% in your teens, you should just focus on eating HEALTHY (I'd honestly avoid calorie counting) and really emphasizing your form (ala Starting Strength -- hopefully you have the book, not just the program).

    That being said, I'm not on board with 1800 carb calories for someone not doing endurance training. And while Starting Strength is an awesome program (which I agree he should do), as far as fat loss goes, it certainly wouldn't be my go-to.

    Cheers
    He really doesn't have any fat to lose. He's young and may have not yet reached his max testosterone output, his full adulthood. If he just lifts a lot he'll build muscle and once his testosterone production increases with a little more age, he'll have the outcome he wants. He really needs to eat lots of real food so that his body will develop into a full-grown man and not diet like a girl.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 170 x 3. Current Deadlift: 220 x 3

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •