Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Help with autoimmune protocol! I'm desperate! Please read! page

Papapoopy is offline Junior Member

Help with autoimmune protocol! I'm desperate! Please read!

​I have psoriasis and I am SICK OF IT. I recently discovered Paleo and have even read that it can reverse my condition! I will be 100% dedicated but I just need some help. I have taken a food allergy test and the following items have come up as a class 1 or 2 on the ige food allergen test.

Tomato,Wheat,Vegetable mix (What does that even mean??), Tuna, Soybean, Shellfish Mix, Potato, Pork, Peanut, Orange, Onion Mix, Oat, Milk, Garlic, Egg (Whole), Corn, Chocolate, Chicken, Beef, Bean(White), Barley, Yeast and Almond.

As you can see my gut is MESSED UP. I sincerely blame wrestling for my allergies and my psoriasis. After a break out of an infection on the team I didn't get sick, but developed psoriasis, Coupled with the fact that after practice I would gorge on anything (Coincidentally mostly the things I'm allergic too) I doomed myself. Now that I'm about to graduate I realize it's time to treat my body right.

My question! What foods SHOULD I eat? Specific food examples would be VERY helpful. I don't care about the taste or about recipes I would love a comprehensive list that outlines a few of the foods I might be able to enjoy while adhering to Autoimmune and my allergies. Thank you guys so much!!!

Jennifla is online now Senior Member
    I'm not sure I can recommend anything if pork, chicken, and beef are out. But I would urge you to get your vitamin D tested. My skin cleared up when I gave up wheat and dairy. I was not diagnosed with psoriasis by a dermatologist, but it looked like it to me and my PCP. (My brother has it pretty bad).
    As God is my witness, I'll never be hungry again.

Urban Forager is online now Senior Member
    Are you sure you're allergic to all those meats? It could be that you're allergic to grain fed meats. From the list it sounds like you react to nightshades. Probably the best thing you can do is go to Paleo Mom's website she has lots of good recipes and info.

Autoimmunity The Paleo Mom
    Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Who ran the allergen test, which test was used, and what was the recommendations from that practitioner?

General info:

Your gut health plays a huge role in you're bodily health and what foods may show as "allergic" to simply because leaky gut allows a variety of foreign (at least in this sense) proteins through.
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 02-03-2014 at 06:58 PM.

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Don't take too much stock in your "food intolerance/allergy test" results.

Quote Originally Posted by Drumroll View Post
    Chris Kresser says food allergy tests are EXTREMELY inaccurate in this podcast:

Food Allergy Testing, Tricks for Flu Season and Exclusive Book Bonuses

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Kresser
    That’s a great question, and I’m continuously reevaluating that question because there are all these new tests becoming available and new options for clinicians, but each time I look at the research I’m continually disappointed by the lack of evidence supporting any of the food allergy testing. I think Cyrex Labs probably has the best available food allergy testing that’s out there, but they’re only really looking at cross-reactive proteins that are related to gluten intolerance, and even then, I’m still not 100% sold that it’s accurate. I think food allergy testing, though, can be used as a springboard or as a basis for experimentation, a jumping-off point, if you will. What that means is you do a food allergy test, you get it back, and it says you’re allergic to strawberries, celery, and egg whites. Rather than just take that at face value and completely eliminate those foods from your diet forever, you could try a period of a couple weeks or three weeks where you don’t eat that those foods at all and then add them back in and see if they are a problem for you. If you look at the research, the elimination/provocation protocol, which I just mentioned – you know, taking foods out of your diet and adding them back in – is still the gold standard for food allergy testing. And if you go to a top-flight food allergist, that’s what they’ll do. They may use some of the testing in the way that I described as a way of figuring out how to structure the elimination diet, but really I think you still have to do that kind of testing and there’s no reason to avoid a healthy food like celery or strawberries just on the basis of these test results without doing your own personal testing.
    Also: Testing for SIBO, Graves Disease, and all about Anemia

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Kresser
    And then there are also tests for food intolerance and tests for leaky gut, though I think those are less useful... As far as food intolerance testing goes, we’ve either talked about it on the show or I’ve written about it or both, but I don’t consider food intolerance testing to be very useful for a couple different reasons. Number one, and I’m pretty sure I’ve mentioned this on the show, there have been some kind of blinded trials done anecdotally by clinicians, where they’ve drawn their own blood and put it two vials, you know, on the same day, same blood draw, and labeled the two vials with different names and sent them into the same lab and come back with completely different results for the two different vials of blood that came from the same person on the same day. So that’s a little suspect. And then number two, even if the test was completely reliable, the question is still what’s causing those food intolerances? I mean, food intolerance is a symptom; it’s not a disease. There’s an underlying disease or pathology that’s causing those food intolerances, and that would usually be SIBO or intestinal permeability or a parasite or a fungal infection or some other gut problem, maybe a gut-brain axis issue or maybe gluten exposure, undiagnosed gluten intolerance. Those are mechanisms. Those are problems that lead to symptoms. So if you just remove the foods that the food intolerance testing shows that you’re sensitive to, certainly that will help with the symptoms, and there’s nothing wrong with that, but assuming you want to be able to eat some of those foods again, addressing the underlying problem is a much better approach. So I don’t put a lot of stock into food intolerance testing for those reasons.
    "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

noodletoy is offline Senior Member
    so did you take a course of antibiotics?

neck and drum beat me to it with the unreliability of food allergy tests.

learn to love sardines and other fatty fish and start taking good probiotics yesterday.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

Quote Originally Posted by noodletoy View Post
    start taking good probiotics yesterday.
    Yes, this! Although I am becoming more and more convinced that probiotic pills are a waste of money and we should be concentrating on fermented foods mostly.

Use pills only when fermented foods are not an option and if you can't buy them, you can readily make them.
    "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

noodletoy is offline Senior Member
    am with you on foods over supps, but it sounds like the op is a student, so don't want to presume too much.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

kmarie is offline Senior Member
    Go to the whole9 website (from the book It Starts With Food) and you'll find a list for Whole 30 Paleo foods specifically for the AIP.
    You can start w that list and cross off your allergens (if you wish although I'm not convinced allergy testing is accurate) and use that as your starting diet.
    It looks like you'll be eating lots of delicious seafood along w greens, lettuce and berries
    K

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by noodletoy View Post
    am with you on foods over supps, but it sounds like the op is a student, so don't want to presume too much.
    I think on both a "unit cost" basis AND actual probiotic content per serving, fermented foods win every time.

Just from the preliminary reading I have been doing though:

An Interview with Dr. Natasha Campbell-McBride
    Fermentation Friday: Probiotic Pills vs Fermented Food - Pickle Me Too
    4 Reasons Why Fermented Foods Are Better Than Taking Supplements | Extreme Health Radio - Your Healthy Living Resource

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast