Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Help with autoimmune protocol! I'm desperate! Please read! page 3

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Papapoopy View Post
    Yes I am a high school student (18) with not that many resources, no experience in food prep/storage and not that much time. I think supps will be necessary but will any brand of probiotics do??
    Not true. Just go to your local health food store for five minutes and buy some Bubbies brand sauerkraut or their wonderful dill pickles. I think there's also a great brand of 'kraut known as "Wildbrine" which you may also find which is just as good, with a variety of flavors. Simple, easy, and cheaper than the pills. You can buy online too, since fermentation is technically a food preservation method.

But if you're still not convinced, go for the pills, but I usually only use those when I travel and don't have access to fermented stuff.
    "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

noodletoy is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Papapoopy View Post
    Also how do you guys feel about Pastured Turkey? Is it inflammatory?
    almost all commercial birds get grain (corn/soy) as supplemental feed. i'd avoid that for now and stick to fatty fish until you are more healed and have a better handle on this.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Drumroll View Post
    You need to get together with me and share your magic "fermentation secrets," man. I ferment in small batches from time-to-time when I am feeling brave, but I haven't the experience or equipment yet to get on to trying large batches.

Although I did make some awesome fermented okra last summer which is fucking amazing stuff. It's about the only way I'll actually eat okra but I'll DESTROY that stuff.
    Hahah.... the only large batch stuff I've done (3 gallon crock) has been sauerkraut with a couple of apples added in and some caraway seeds. It's my go to ferment. I like to dip out and bottle it at 2weeks, 3 weeks, and 4 weeks and label em as such. Its cool how it changes from one to the next. I like it at about 3 weeks the best though.

The rest of my ferments are usually summer veggies that I try different spices in and just submerse in a brine in a quart jar for about two weeks. Some do better than others. I can't say that I've even ever made the exact same thing (aside from the kraut) twice, lol. I like carrots with some peppers (chile or jalepeno); celery, peppers, parsnips; whatever really! Kind of do it like they do here Fermented Mixed Vegetables - Perfect Health Diet | Perfect Health Diet except I don't put a lid or wrap on it...just make sure the veggies stay submersed, and I don't think they let them ferment long enough. Two weeks is a minimum for me.

Oh....fresh garlic....in everything! I freaking love it. It flavors the left over brine just right. I usually drink it right down when the veggies are gone.
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 02-04-2014 at 01:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    Hahah.... the only large batch stuff I've done (3 gallon crock) has been sauerkraut with a couple of apples added in and some caraway seeds. It's my go to ferment. I like to dip out and bottle it at 2weeks, 3 weeks, and 4 weeks and label em as such. Its cool how it changes from one to the next. I like it at about 3 weeks the best though.

The rest of my ferments are usually summer veggies that I try different spices in and just submerse in a brine in a quart jar for about two weeks. Some do better than others. I can't say that I've even ever made the exact same thing (aside from the kraut) twice, lol. I like carrots with some peppers (chile or jalepeno); celery, peppers, parsnips; whatever really! Kind of do it like they do here Fermented Mixed Vegetables - Perfect Health Diet | Perfect Health Diet except I don't put a lid or wrap on it...just make sure the veggies stay submersed, and I don't think they let them ferment long enough. Two weeks is a minimum for me.

Oh....fresh garlic....in everything! I freaking love it. It flavors the left over brine just right. I usually drink it right down when the veggies are gone.
    Neck, I have a local fermentation company that ferments straight garlic cloves. Garlic cloves, salt, chili peppers, and water. Next time they hit my farmer's market this spring, maybe I'll mail you some.

Or you can come and see for yourself.
    "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

noodletoy is offline Senior Member
    neck, no lid, no wrap? what do you put on top?
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

StrongCheck is offline Member
    I have auto immune conditions too, similar situation hence my Gerd post that Im waiting for some replies on.

Im looking to replace my probiotic tablet with fermentables (Sauerkraut and Kimchi). My partner is looking after it as their family make it traditionally, so Im just waiting. But K Kresser had a link on one of this posts to fermentables, I think the person has also written a book on it. Ill try to find that for you.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Neck, I have a local fermentation company that ferments straight garlic cloves. Garlic cloves, salt, chili peppers, and water. Next time they hit my farmer's market this spring, maybe I'll mail you some.

Or you can come and see for yourself.
    Sounds like a plan to me!

Quote Originally Posted by noodletoy View Post
    neck, no lid, no wrap? what do you put on top?
    A small rock that fits within the lid works to hold the veggies bellow the brine level (you can boil it if its from your yard if you like). This is all that is needed to ensure that they ferment properly. As long as they stay submerged in the brine no need to worry about spoilage and the like....I got my original info from "Wild Fermentation" then later "The Art of Fermentation". In my 3 gallon crock we use a plate that just fits inside and place a gallon jug of water on top to keep everything submerged.

Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    Sounds like a plan to me!
    Which part? Or both?

We totally should though! And you can bring something you recently fermented up in trade. Just like good 'ol Sandor says he does in "The Art of Fermentation."

Papapoopy is offline Junior Member
    Not true. Just go to your local health food store for five minutes and buy some Bubbies brand sauerkraut or their wonderful dill pickles. I think there's also a great brand of 'kraut known as "Wildbrine" which you may also find which is just as good, with a variety of flavors. Simple, easy, and cheaper than the pills. You can buy online too, since fermentation is technically a food preservation method.

But if you're still not convinced, go for the pills, but I usually only use those when I travel and don't have access to fermented stuff.
    Wow really? It's that simple?
    So just look for where the fermented foods are and get sauerkrat to start? Will I be getting as much good bacteria as a pro-biotic gives me?
    I love you guys I believe I'm actually gonna get healed.

Btw my food intake for today everyone
    1lb ground beef, 3 apples, 5 bananas, 3 boiled and sliced carrots with 1 ounce of white mushrooms, and a bowl of brown rice.. Feedback?
    I'm going shopping tomorrow straight after school for autoimmune-paleo foods, today I just ate whatever I already have that seemed healthy to me

Papapoopy is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by noodletoy View Post
    almost all commercial birds get grain (corn/soy) as supplemental feed. i'd avoid that for now and stick to fatty fish until you are more healed and have a better handle on this.
    Okay thanks I almost bought some because it is so cheap! I'll stick to fish

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast