Thread: Female Hormones and weight gain page

fmw
    fmw is offline Junior Member

Female Hormones and weight gain

Primal Fuel
    Hi all - I'm new here although have been reading MDA for a couple of years. Would love some advice/information. I'm in the UK and am a mum of 3.

As a bit of background, I started moving towards a primal way of eating a few years ago. Having always suffered with IBS I experimented with my diet trying to alleviate the symptoms. Gave up wheat and then ended up learning about primal and shifted more and more towards grain free. About 18 months ago I started sticking to Primal/Paleo much more strictly (mostly because my husband got on board as well) and felt fantastic. Dropped 10lbs without even trying and well you know the story - slept better, more energy, felt better than I ever had - the usual stuff. At the time I hadn't long had my 3rd child and due to breastfeeding was not menstruating. For nearly a year I felt great and was able to control my weight really easily, if I slipped and gained a little I could shift it again quickly.

When my baby was 15 months old my periods returned. Very quickly I gained weight. 6 months on and I am 7lbs heavier than I was when my periods came back and I just cannot shift it. I'm eating the same stuff, doing the same amount of exercise etc, the only change is the return of my periods.

Any thoughts? I really want to get rid of this extra weight and get back to where I was before.

TIA

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Did you stop breastfeeding? If yes, breastfeeding has a huge caloric price attached to it, so compensating for the drop of energy expenditure is necessary.

If not, hormonal imbalances are a nightmare to correct, and take a long, long time, unfortunately. The biggest things that impact hormonal changes as far as I could figure out are dairy and blood sugar levels, so I would suggest with a very limited clean diet for about 6 weeks (think whole 30 strict, starting even without fruit and nuts, even try to eliminate coffee as well), and then start adding things back to see which one may be holding you back. I know it sounds horrid... My child is 8 years old, and I have tried so many things, it hurts to remember. In the end, meats and vegetables (including non-super-starchy tubers) was the most beneficial to my body, but living it is a nightmare. I am still annoyed that eggs is a big trigger for me, go figure...
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

fmw
    Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    Did you stop breastfeeding? If yes, breastfeeding has a huge caloric price attached to it, so compensating for the drop of energy expenditure is necessary.
    No, I'm still breastfeeding now.

Many thanks for the advice, I will give that a try. Damn hormones! I actually don't particularly like fruit so don't eat much and don't drink much coffee but I will miss my morning cup of tea!

noodletoy is offline Senior Member
    hormonal wonkiness sucks.

leida gives great advice. but is the baby breastfeeding less at this age? you may just need to reduce cals a bit...
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

fmw
    PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by noodletoy View Post
    hormonal wonkiness sucks.

leida gives great advice. but is the baby breastfeeding less at this age? you may just need to reduce cals a bit...
    No not really - weight gain happened so fast it has to be directly related to the hormonal change I think.

And yes it does indeed suck.

Thanks for the reply!