Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Going out for pizza tonight...

Exclamation Going out for pizza tonight...

Shop Now
    So my kids last day of school is today and they want to go to a pizza place for dinner. How could I say no? FWIW, this place is just pizza -- there are no other options -- but it is organic and cooked in a wood fired stove!

My concern is that this is going to do to a number on my digestive system. I've been exclusively primal for a couple of months and have completely avoided grains and dairy in that time, so my system isn't going to know what hit it. I have no weight issues or underlying medical problems so I'm not concerned about that end of things. However, I want to join my family for dinner and not just sit there nursing a water or spend my evening in the bathroom.

Anything I can do to prepare my GI tract for the onslaught of a couple of pieces of pizza? I was thinking about taking some probiotics. Any other suggestions?

Thanks

Scrape the toppings and sauce off the bread? I know it's sacrilege, but I've seen many a celiac do it...
    ETA:
    I may have come off the wrong way. I was assuming you had severe GI issues if you ate the crust. If that's not the case, have a salad before you go, and enjoy a splurge. Chalk it up to 20% and call it good.
    Last edited by naiadknight; 06-18-2010 at 06:36 AM.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Latest Journal

I would just eat a large healthy snack/meal at home and then enjoy one slice without too much worry.

That is probably not what you wanted to hear, but that is how I would handle it if I was concerned about digestive issues.

FWIW, I have never had digestive issues and can go long periods of time with no grains and have no trouble if I do eat some. However if you did have digestive issues, you may not have the same luck as me.

Have a piece of pizza and enjoy it!

Moderation is the key, maybe have a salad before you leave home to have a good "base load" in you stomache before you eat the pizza.

Enjoy
    Rangers Lead the Way, Hooah!

If there is a way that the PB hurts a lot of people, it's that it makes them afraid of food.

enjoy the pizza and wash it down with a couple beers

Quote Originally Posted by andalus View Post
    enjoy the pizza and wash it down with a couple beers
    and be prepared for a day of constipation.

I would say go for it, it wont kill you. If it makes you feel like shit then you will have a reason to react differently next time your in a pizza shop. Live (eat) and learn i guess...

Thanks everyone. I should add that I fully plan on eating the pizza tonight. This is not a guilt thing at all.

@naiadknight: I may just eat the toppings. I like that idea!

@dacec: Glad to hear you haven't had any issues. That's what I'm afraid of.

@PrimalChild: I do fear the food, but only because I don't want to end up spending the evening on the toilet

Quote Originally Posted by Primalchild View Post
    If there is a way that the PB hurts a lot of people, it's that it makes them afraid of food.
    +1 If you're that concerned take a digestive enzyme or something pickled before you dig in and IF the next day. I'll knock off most of a large pizza once every couple or three months with no adverse affects. Stop worrying and enjoy your life.

Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by Primalchild View Post
    Yupper!

Fear not and enjoy.

(Caveat--I take my twenty percent pretty seriously!)