Thread: Primal Challenge Journal (Ben Faber) page

bfaber87 Guest

Primal Challenge Journal (Ben Faber)

Primal Fuel

During this challenge, I am going to get a haircut, shave my facial hair, use shampoo AND conditioner. BUT I also am going to EAT and MOVE like Grok. Lots of meat, vegetables, butter. I'm going to try to do as much cooking as I can on the grill, maybe broil some fish, steam some veggies. It's on, Primal style!

I think the most important part of the Primal Blueprint is to eat according to our genes, so Primal Meals will be the first topic, followed by Primal Exercise.

1. Primal Meals

Day 1:

#1 - Wild Alaskan Salmon (canned from Trader Joe's) with real butter

2. Primal Exercise

Day 1:

WOD -

3. I want to have a lot of fun with this challenge. To inspire myself and family and friends that this is the only lifestlye worth living. How can you not enjoy a good sweat at the gym, or in the park? How can you not enjoy a home cooked meal with fresh meat and local vegetables? I want to take what I have learned from Mark's Daily Apple and incorporate it into a lifestlye that I can pass on to people that need a little guidance. The main focus will be on improving my eating and exercise and to have an abundance of energy.

Going Primal!

bfaber87 Guest

Day 1

1. Primal Meals

#2 - Sardines canned in water (from TJ's), 2 scrambled eggs, butter, turmeric

bfaber87 Guest

Day 1

1. Primal Meals

#3 - Pork (cooked in the crock-pot), with broccoli sauteed with garlic, red pepper flakes cooked in coconut oil

2. Primal Exercise

WOD

A. Back Squat 5-5-5-5-5 Reps

215-225-230-235-240

Rest 5 minutes

B. Max rounds in 12 minutes:

5 Sumo Deadlift High Pulls @ 95#/65#

10 Push-Ups

15 Box Jumps @ 26"/22"

Rounds - 7 + 9 box jumps

bfaber87 Guest

Day 2

1. Primal Meals

#1 - Pork and butter

#2 - Pork and butter

#3 - 3 eggs, can of salmon, butter

#4 - 2 scoops of whey protein power, water, ice

#5 - Pork, red onion, tomato, cucumber

2. Primal Exercise

WOD

Mountain bike ride with friend at Phoenix Lake and up Eldridge. Took about an hour and a half.

3. Did some casual walking in town

bfaber87 Guest

Day 3

1. Primal Meals

#1 - 4 Eggs and butter

#2 - 5 Eggs and butter

#3 - Lamb and butter

#4 - Lamb and butter

#5 - Rabbit (from the farmers market) cooked in butter, red wine vinegar, onion, garlic, rosemary (from my parent's garden), and thyme (also from my parents garden)

2. Primal Exercise

WOD

Deadlift 5-5-5

265-275-295

Deadlift 12-9-6

AMRAP (as many rounds as possible) in 10 minutes of:

Row 250 meters

11 Burpees

Rounds - 4

The last meal of the day was probably the best marinate, braising, and broiling I have accomplished in my short cooking experience. The flavor of the rabbit was much more rich and delicate than chicken.

bfaber87 Guest

Day 4

1. Primal Meals

#1 - 4 Eggs and butter

#2 - 6 Eggs and butter

#3 - 4 Eggs, butter, 2 salmon patties (homemade from scratch and grain-free), arugula, avocado, tomato, cucumber, onion, olive oil,

#4 - Greek yogurt, scoop of whey protein powder, blueberries (first after dinner sweet I have had in about eight weeks. It was divine. Never need sugar and ice cream again!

2. Primal Exercise

WOD

Walked Chrissy Field to the Golden Gate Bridge with my Mom. It took us about 75-90 minutes.

This morning I went to the gym and helped coach my Dad through the standard push-up, C2 rowing machine, and dumbbell swings. We focused on form today and I think he feels much more comfortable in those movements after getting some instruction from me. His rowing stroke is surprisingly good, he can do about eight legitimate chest to floor, full ROM push-ups, and he is using a 10-15 pound dumbbell for the swings. Trying to help him be around a while longer.