Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jumping In page

trinity4 is offline Member

I just wanted to thank everyone who posts here, I have learned much from everyones experiences. I have been reading the DA for a few weeks, and have ordered the book. I want to take a 30 day challenge and go totally primal. My stumbling block: I can't seem to shake the sugar cravings. I can do really well for a few days, maybe a week...then I cave and eat a bunch of junk. If anyone can share a success story, I would appreciate it. I feel like such an addict that can't quite get clean!

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member

I think I finally kicked the carb/sweet addiction. Some days I just wanted to rip my kitchen apart for something sweet.

What finally worked for me is to do it gradually. I'd go one day without something carby/sweet. Then I'd go 2 days, then try going 3 days without, then 4 days without. I'm up to 2 weeks without now and I don't really have those raging cravings. The last time I had junk (a peanut butter cookie) I really felt crappy after and decided that I'm done for good.

If, on payday (every other friday), I feel like indulging myself I'll have some super-dark chocolate and a glass of dessert wine. Twice a month is plenty now.

jpippenger Guest

Trinity, I have been primal for about six weeks. Like you I did a lot of reading. I made sure to pick a start date, to mentally prepare myself. I thought every day about how I was ready to get healthy and that I didn't want to eat anything that would harm me. I started imagining little "surgeon general warnings" on the packages of processed foods and sugars. By the time I made the change, I wanted nothing to do with sugars (except those found in fruits).

I didn't have any problems with sugar cravings during the transition. I did hit a stumbling block in about the third week, not with cravings, but with a huge drop in energy. My muscles were completely fatigued. I added a little more fruit into my diet and I picked up quickly. The fatigue only lasted about two days. Last week a new level of energy has overcome me. I feel about 5 years younger. I've lost 25 pounds and although I have a good long way to go, I have never felt more positive about a change in my lifestyle and have no doubts that this new way of life is going to be the thing for me.

Good luck, my one piece of advice would be to make a mental change on how you view sugar before you take the plunge.

I have a lengthier explanation of my transition on my Anarchy is the USDA series. (If your interested)

Thanks both of you for replying. Sometimes I feel trapped with my sugar-cravings and I get scared that I won't be free. There are days when it feels so overwhelming. I am going to adopt eating primally, and maybe the added protien and fat will help me not feel so compulsive toward sweets. I am also going to clear them all out of my house so that there will be no quick fixes around. Wish me luck!

Anonymous Guest

I think it's also just something to work though and keep working at being Primal. You have a lifetime of eating to change the habits of, and it just takes time.

For me, a few things that worked well was getting rid of the junk food in the house and making it a deliberate effort to get it. Not that I couldn't eat it, more that i'd actually have to walk to the store to get it. Usually this would be a chocolate craving - i'd get the smallest chocolate bar they had, and that'd be it. Eventually it got to the point that the chocolate just didn't taste good anymore and wasn't worthwhile eating.

Tonight, a friend of mine got married. I had a glass of wine - the first alcohol I've had in almost 6 months. I only had it because my friend's wife is Portuguese and it was a Portuguese wine. I really didn't enjoy it all that much and it'd take more for me to have some in the future.

Another stupid 'trick' I do is chew gum. I'm kind of obsessive about it. If I star to get the munchies or after I finish eating, I'll chew on some gum. It might not be primal, and it might cause an insulin spike, but I doubt it'd be as much of a spike compared to actually indulging in whatever.

But, beyond that, just keep at it. It'll get easier, eventually, but it just takes time.

Ecala is offline Junior Member

Yea, you just have to be persistent! you'll have to suffer through the cravings until they go away. Mine went away around the 3-4 week mark.

Basically you have to make up your mind that you won't consciously ingest such a toxic substance.

This was the blog entry that cinched the deal for me

http://lifespotlight.com/health/2009/04/23/marketing-lies-healthy-sugar/

"We want to believe that we can “have our cake and eat it too”. That is, we want to think that we can get that sweet sensation without destroying our bodies. Unfortunately, it’s not true. Along with trans fats, sugar is the worst thing you can put in your body."

I wouldn't ever consume trans fat-- so why would I consume something just as bad-- sugar?

Just keep resisting trinity, you'll get there. The less you have, the less you'll crave- so don't have any and you won't crave any. You can do it.

Paneristi is offline Member

Ive been doing this now since Feb 16th.

I tend to set myself a specific goal and get obsessive about it.

The cravings I had were initially for whole wheat toast and marmalade which I adore.

I suffered serious headaches for about 10 days - serious headaches so bad I had to take 5-6 panadol to relieve the pain (I used to eat loads of oatmeal and brown rice)

At first I planned each meal for the week and stuck to the plan, I still do this any I highly recommend you do this. Not easy as I travel alot in hotels and the minibar was always stocked with chololates but I resisted....

After 2 weeks the cravings just went - even though my wife still eats brown rice and whole wheat bread etc.

Keep the faith and set yourself a body type goal.

Good luck

jpippenger Guest

I envy everybody that can get rid of all the bad stuff in their house. My wife has the worst diet in the world and is on a crash course for diabetes. I try to share my findings with her and encourage her to change, but too much discussion of it just makes her more stubborn. The house is full of junk food. It is always there, so easy to access.

I really don't have too much difficulty with cravings for it though, because I equate junk food with cigarettes. They really are as bad as cigarettes. As such, I don't want them.

I just hope that I lose weight quick enough that my wife sees my results and decides she wants that sort of result for herself. Then we will really clean house.

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member

If you're overweight when you make the switch over to a Primal lifestyle, your initial progress will be so remarkable that you will be able to indulge in cheesecake and chocolates and whatever on one or even two days of the week and still see positive results. That kind of thing tricked me into thinking weekly cheats were A-OK, and when I finally did plateau, it was all the more difficult to get rid of the cravings.

Last winter, I went 4 weeks without any sugar. I was looking and feeling better than ever. So what did I do? I rewarded myself with ice cream. Now in two days it will be 4 weeks without sugar again, and I don't plan on celebrating with food.

It's been weekly battles, sometimes daily, but just stick with it, and as Diana said, if you do cave, try going a day or two longer without caving next time. Some people can quit cold turkey, others need to work at it. You just need to be persistent and patient. Two things that have helped tremendously are Son of Grok's primal fudgeballs (http://www.sonofgrok.com/2009/02/rec...l-fudge-balls/) and Lindt Excellence 99% bars.

You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

I appreciate all the replies. I am feeling more than hopeful...I am feeling determined to kill this beast! Thanks Ecala for the excellent article, it kind of puts the whole thing in perspective, doesn't it? And I do think that sugar is as addictive as cocaine, or nicotine. If you are trying to kick a drug habit, you can choose not to be around drugs, not go to the bar, etc. How the hell do you stay away from sugar...it's everywhere...all the time! And Paneristi, I am going to do some meal planning, I think that is an excellent idea for me, especially over the next few weeks as my body adjusts. I am getting that it is more than just giving up sugar, I need a total overhaul about the way I think about food and what I want my health to be like. And I am starting today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast