Thread: Meat and Colon Cancer page

Helen in Oz is offline Senior Member

Meat and Colon Cancer

Primal Fuel
    Very interesting study for anyone who has lingering concerns about the link between colon cancer and meat consumption. Surprise, surprise... carbs may the culprit again!

http://www.springerlink.com/content/l221316687572884/

BugMan is offline Member
    Good find. A friend of mine passed away from stomach cancer recently. Both of his parents died from colon cancer. So he became a Vegan thinking this would be the way to avoid getting it himself. I have often wondered if his food choices were part of the problem.

I"m sorry to hear that, Bugman.

I'm a little wary of 'blaming' everything on food/lifestyle; in part because there's a trend in recent years to have the attitude that you've gotten sick because 'you aren't taking care of yourself', and there's guilt and judgment involved.Sometimes things just happen, sometimes it's genes, and sometimes the damage is already done before we're in a position to take control. Though of course, there's plenty that we do and don't do to sabotage our health.

And as you say, in your friend's case, it could well be that Vegan food did him no favours. It's doubly sad when you realize how much misinformation is deliberately spread - you make choices thinking they are for your wellbeing and they have the opposite effect.

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    Colon cancer appears to be reduced dramatically by vitamin d, magnesium, calcium, and k2 which the general North American population is horrendeously deficient in so I can't see how people could possibly point the finger at meat.

Of course the new evidence is clear that the old reasoning was flawed and bias. http://www.ajcn.org/cgi/content/abst...n.2008.26838v1
    http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/179259.php

And that's without distinguishing between grass-fed, pasture-raised beef and slim jims. So, erm, what gives? Even regular grain-fed supermarket meat doesn't cause any diseases of any sort and is still nutrient-rich. What gives? This smells of wishful thinking and bias, irrational ideology exacerbated by tryptophane, zinc and dietary saturated fat and elongated omega 3 deficiencies.
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

Thanks for those links, Stabby.

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    No problem, thank you for your link. I definitely agree with them about the uber refined carbs, and of course anything else that will reduce insulin sensitivity. Increased AGE formation with increased IGF-1 triggering is a recipe for cancer, no two ways about it.

The truly ironic thing is that all of the natural CLA and carnitine in grass-fed beef is highly protective against those very things. Oh CW when will you stop failing?
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

muaythaimike is offline Senior Member
    "On the basis of the results of this quantitative assessment, the available epidemiologic evidence does not appear to support an independent association between animal fat intake or animal protein intake and colorectal cancer".
    http://www.ajcn.org/cgi/content/abst...n.2008.26838v1

"Consumption of processed meats, but not red meats, is associated with higher incidence of CHD and diabetes mellitus. These results highlight the need for better understanding of potential mechanisms of effects and for particular focus on processed meats for dietary and policy recommendations". Red and Processed Meat Consumption and Risk of Incident Coronary Heart Disease, Stroke, and Diabetes Mellitus. A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis.

EURPOEAN JOURNAL OF CLINICAL NUTRITION(2002) 56, 519-524. Study of 76,000 people. Mortality from colorectal cancer was not distinguishable between vegetarians and controls.

EUROPEAN JOURNAL OF CLINICAL NUTRITION (2002). Meat and cancer: meat as a component of a healthy diet.

Meat supposedly has few not clearly defined cancer (breast, colon and prostate) causing properties but has lots of vitamin A, folate and selenium that are cancer protecting with respect to colon, breast and prostate.

EUROPEAN JOURNL OF CLINICAL NUTRITION,56, 36-41 (2002). "Meat cancer and dietary advice to the public. Meat good source of protein, readily available iron, folate, vitamin A, calcium, magnesium, zinc, coenzyme Q10 and range of B vitamins. Evidence of any risk of colon carcinogenesis is so weak encourage meat consumption especially in women of child bearing age. Animal food are only known source of vitamin A and B12 in diet".
    "My mom made two dishes: Take it or Leave it." -- Stephen Wright, comedian

johndouglas is offline Junior Member

jhantoo

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Well, itís amazing. The miracle has been done. Hatís off. Well done, as we know that ďhard work always pays offĒ, after a long struggle with sincere effort itís done.
    ------------
    johndouglas

back exercises