Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How bad are potatoes, REALLY...? page

etomaria is offline Member

Talking How bad are potatoes, REALLY...?

Shop Now
    Got another question for all you all--

I don't have much of an issue eating primally, except for potatoes, I mean baked potatoes, scalloped potatoes, ham and potato soup, leek and potato soup, borsch, french fries (in appropriate oil), home fries, fried potatoes (in grassfed butter, eh? ...ehhhh??), mashed potatoes, the possibilities are ENDLESS! They're the best thing EVER! I know, not particularly primal, but I don't mean "best thing ever" from a primal standpoint, but a taste standpoint... or atleast my taste standpoint, before anyone comes up with "ugh, they're gross, just don't eat them", cuz that won't help

Are they reeeeeallly THAT bad? Or if everything else is in order, are they permissible? I was kinda likening them to dairy, if you don't have any issues eating them, it's ok... but wasn't sure. They're not as egregious as grains and sugar seem to be, but thought I'd throw this out there to get the perspective/facts that I haven't yet come across. (If you have more of the factual "this is what's bad about them" or data like that, it'd be appreciated... not to say that anecdotal is bad, I just am not as apt to buy off on it as I personally see no problems --that is, judging from my experience eating primally yet having potatoes periodically, bout 2x/week-- when I eat them)

Thanks!

jo
    jo is offline Senior Member
    I believe that the main problem with potatoes is that their effect on blood sugar, and for those with some insulin sensitivity, a subsequent insulin response. If this is not an issue for you, you can afford to relax the potato restriction. Having said that, you will get a better nutritional profile filling your plate up with good meat and veg choices in place of the potato. Your choice. If you really want to have potato 2 x a week I imagine it won't do you too much harm.

eva
    eva is offline Senior Member
    nightshades can be connected to arthritis aswell...
    challenge yourself
    i blog here http://theprimalwoman.blogspot.com/

cookie is offline Senior Member
    i love potatoes as well. it's a problem. i love crispy fried hash browns in the morning with fried eggs and good bacon. i do believe that it can squeeze it's way into my otherwise healthy lifestyle pretty much undetected. i'm pretty fit and feel great, and i have no problems with my blood sugar any longer since going primal and eating stupid amounts of fat and protein. if i did, i would quit the spud, but i don't. so i will continue to fry the hell outta hashies and smear runny yolk and fatty bacon in them a few times a week and enjoy the 20/80.

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Have you ever had Papa a la Huancaina? it's a Peruvian recipe, and it's DELISH. I eat potatoes from time to time (esp when THAT recipe is around) but don't eat them all that often. They're carb heavy so if your focus is weight loss you might want to watch it. I love potatoes though, so I feel you on this 100%. I just don't eat them as much, 2x a week to me sound fine unless you're having issues that are deeper than wanting to shed some pounds. We need Molecular Grokologist...

FairyRae is offline Senior Member
    http://freetheanimal.com/2010/04/pal...-potatoes.html

Check this out for an alternative paleo view on potatoes, and the posts about "Primal Potatoes" at the Primal Wisdom blog. (Linked in the above link, which I apologize for serial posting over the last couple days--this question has been coming up a lot!)

In the end, it's up to you. I'm just starting to read GCBC, had only read the notes prior to now, so maybe when I'm done w/ it I'll think they are the devil, but for now I'd say 2x a week is a very moderate way to do it and not something I'd worry about personally. (Just fyi, I do include potatoes in my diet and don't feel it's cheating/not what Grok would have eaten based on the info I've read.)

AntonG is offline Senior Member
    eat them post workout, at least this way they can digest when your metabolic rate is increased and the blood sugar spike isnt as harmful. also, switch to sweet potatoes if you can..they dont blast the blood sugar as high.

Venna is offline Member

Yukon gold potatoes?

When I eat potatoes, which usually is only a few times a month, I usually eat these (see title, AKA: Yukon Gold) and usually they are steamed with butter and soura cream on top or with garlic and then mashed with half and half and butter. I've actually begun to consume sweet potatoes when I have that potato itch, which I haven't done since I was a kid and forgot how tasty they are with just butter on them. I know they can be carb intensive and I also have an insulin resistance problem so would it be better for me to skip the potatoes completely until my insulin is under control?

AntonG is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Venna View Post
    When I eat potatoes, which usually is only a few times a month, I usually eat these (see title, AKA: Yukon Gold) and usually they are steamed with butter and soura cream on top or with garlic and then mashed with half and half and butter. I've actually begun to consume sweet potatoes when I have that potato itch, which I haven't done since I was a kid and forgot how tasty they are with just butter on them. I know they can be carb intensive and I also have an insulin resistance problem so would it be better for me to skip the potatoes completely until my insulin is under control?
    yea probably. starches jack the blood sugar like no other, unlike fruit for example. the fructose in fruit has to be processed by the liver and there isnt as big of a jump in blood sugar. starches like potatoes on the other hand start digesting almost as soon as they enter your mouth.

Chaohinon is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I've personally found that potatoes just don't affect me in the way that cereal grains and sugars do.

-No hunger spikes
    -No mood problems
    -No crashing
    -Perfectly compatible with intermittent fasting, no 2-3 hour hunger

And given my ability to put away soda and pizza like nobody else, I'm left with the conclusion that potatoes are safe foods for people with relatively healthy metabolisms. If they're preventing me from overeating (and not only that, but have absolutely KILLED my sugar cravings), I don't see how they can be as dangerous as everyone thinks.
    The whole concept of a macronutrient, like that of a calorie, is determining our language game in such a way that the conversation is not making sense." - Dr. Kurt Harris

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast