Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Struggling with weight and new way of eating page

hermanda is offline Senior Member

Unhappy Struggling with weight and new way of eating

Hi there you lovely primal humans,

ok so I'm not loosing weight and I think I know why and I just wanted to talk about it so I can see if I can figure out why. So thanks in advance for any thoughts and support I love reading this forum.

I've given up grains, sugar, processed foods in general but I have a really hard time eating meat. I don't often find it appetizing. After the first week I lost some weight but I was so over eggs, meat and avocado that I started craving kefir and nuts. I love nuts and think this may be a problem. I don't want to count calories but some days I do and i stay in line (1600 cals and I'm 5'6 female 132 lbs trying to loose the 10lbs gained while studying abroad this last year due to lots of oatmeal/honey/almond butter bowls from emotional/stress eating:-) My muscles are not easily sustained and I love fruit. I know as I write this that the nuts, fruit and dairy are a problem. I love yogurt though and have been eating full fat goat yogurt and kefir. I've cut way back in the fruit dept though. I'll have an apple and then some berries (except for tonight's pile of strawberries, dried coconut and fistfuls of almonds.) I like fish but am concerned about toxins and I can't stand any more canned tuna or lox. I was doing turkey bacon but am not enjoying it. I just bought some chicken sausage and chicken hot dogs yesterday so I'll see how they go over. Still can't wrap my head around bacon.
    I think my problem with meat is 2 fold: 1) I raised animals and could never bare to eat what I couldn't kill (never got any further then slaughtering fish and fowl) and sometimes have a mental issue eating flesh, 2) I ate red meat almost 2 weeks and it made me sick for about 5 days. I got very backed up, was nauseous and have not been interested in consuming meat since.
    Ok so I'm rambling here but I want to believe this will work for me. I'm also living with a skinny girl (not muscular) who eats salads with mozzarella cheese for dinner which I don't think is helping me.

All I want is more nuts now too Sigh. Tomorrow is a new day and I'll see if I can stay away from the nuts. Thanks for reading this guys. I so want my body back!

dacec is offline Senior Member
    Well I can't offer too much advice on the meat, except that I *think* that if stop eating meat for a while your body stops producing the enzymes that help to digest it, I would try to take it easy and go more slowly. I could be wrong though. I am not a huge fan of protein powders, but perhaps a quality one will help yo get thru this transition.

My other suggestion would be to bump up the size of your meals so that you are not so snacky.

I go thru periods where I can barely choke down eggs....never been a fan. I find that if I add some sauted veggies and cheese or some clean sausae (Jimmy Dean has a Natural Style sausage that is pretty clean)

I also make a smoothie with my kefir, add some spinach, kale, blueberries and a small piece of banana or apple to sweeten a bit. Or you could add your protein powder, or drop in a couple eggs.

I think the combo of : not enough protein and meals that may be too small is making you too snacky and that is driving the weight.

MMS131 is offline Junior Member
    A 5'6" female at 132lbs doesn't have very much weight to loose... At 122 lbs, 10 lbs lighter, I think you might look almost sickly. What makes you think that 122lbs is your "happy" weight? Just because you were that weight before? I would focus on feeding your body quality foods (including meat, but also some fruit and nuts and other whole foods that you like) and doing solid workouts to tone your body as opposed to focusing on loosing weight.

For a point of reference, I am 5'5", 129lbs, a size 2 or 4 in most stores. I have been 120 - 122 lbs in the past, but I almost have to starve myself to get to that weight. Even when I can reach that weight, one splurge pushes me up. For me, what seems to be most effective is to eat quality foods, work out intensly (I am in love with CrossFit), and be proud of what my body can DO (gaining 12 lbs on my deadlift max yesterday, doing 150 burpees in a workout, etc.), not how much it weighs.

Quote Originally Posted by MMS131 View Post
    A 5'6" female at 132lbs doesn't have very much weight to loose... At 122 lbs, 10 lbs lighter, I think you might look almost sickly. What makes you think that 122lbs is your "happy" weight? Just because you were that weight before? I would focus on feeding your body quality foods (including meat, but also some fruit and nuts and other whole foods that you like) and doing solid workouts to tone your body as opposed to focusing on loosing weight.
    I would just like to point out that the OP says ' My muscles are not easily sustained' so I interpret that as that she is on the more petite side.

I am 5'7" and went from 136 (quite porky for me) down to my current 120. I still don't have abs...and perhaps never will. I swim and do bodyweight exercise to ward off the scrawnies. We all have different body types so she and I may just be that type that does not carry weight well....ie muscular!

MeatMe216 is offline Senior Member
    Do you like fish? I would try and add in more fish if you arent a fan of the mammal flesh. Pricey tho...

MMS131 is offline Junior Member
    dacec - that's definitely a valid point, we all do have different body types and look good at different weights. I guess that I just see so many females focused on being ultra thin and what the scale says as opposed to how healthy they are, how they feel overall, etc. I can completely relate to that struggle, because I have been there before myself. My point was more that our bodies are designed to do many things, not just to hit a number on the scale that we have pre-determined is the right number for it to weigh, and that possibly examining the reasons for the focused weightloss might be a good place to start.

MMS131.... I completely agree that the number on the scale is meaningless!
    How one feels really should be the focus. I started on this path in an effort to lose a few pounds but it quickly became a health focus not a weight focus.

supersellen is offline Senior Member
    Another fan of staying off the scale here. Being at a low weight can be much less healthy than being more tone at a higher weight.

arthurb999 is offline Senior Member
    What types of meat are you eating?

If it's ckinless chicken breast or super lead steak... well yea that sucks.

Start to transition to dark meat, medium rare fattier steaks... grill them, etc.

hermanda is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by dacec View Post
    I would just like to point out that the OP says ' My muscles are not easily sustained' so I interpret that as that she is on the more petite side.

I am 5'7" and went from 136 (quite porky for me) down to my current 120. I still don't have abs...and perhaps never will. I swim and do bodyweight exercise to ward off the scrawnies. We all have different body types so she and I may just be that type that does not carry weight well....ie muscular!
    Yes that is how I would describe myself dacec. I was lean and strong 10 months ago and 122 lbs looked great on me and I felt super buff. I went through a lot of stress studying abroad. I've had low estrogen for quite some time but have just started a low estrogen birth control patch. I have to supply the hormone this way because the problem is in my hypothalamus and I will never be able to change that no matter how good my diet is. I will have to monitor my hormone changes carefully with my doctor but my energy is suffering and depression is palpable. How long did it take for you to loose that weight? I have the book and I'm trying to do the math right now as to how many calories I need, fat grams, protein etc. and then to figure out the exercise part. If you have the time, I would really love to hear about your experience. thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast