Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trying to figure out if I have food allergies...Help, I'm overwhelmed! page

eig
    eig is offline Senior Member

Trying to figure out if I have food allergies...Help, I'm overwhelmed!

Primal Fuel
    Hello! I need some help with food allergies, I suspect I have some for a few reasons 1. Hay fever symptoms that go on all year. 2. often feel bloated/gassy 3. permanently swollen lymph node (doctors have checked it, they say its cause of my hay fever that causes constant inflammation) 4. commonly feel cramping/ unhappy guts. I've been reading a lot on the subject lately and what I'm overwhelmed with is what foods I need to cut out. Some say I need to cut out nightshades and dairy (does this include goats milk/cheese?) only, others say pork, onions, fermented foods, and eggs too. Of course there's the obvious wheat, soy, and corn but I already don't eat those. Also, I've read some of these symptoms could be symptoms of an unhealthy gut, do I just need a to start taking a probiotic or do I wait to see if I discover any food allergies first? Thank you!
    "...You sort of start thinking anything's possible if you've got enough nerve. -Ginny

My story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/i-now...#axzz2MzPtxo00

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Food allergies and poor gut health can go hand in hand. The 5 R's of gut repair should help. Read and follow this as a guideline:

https://www.im4us.org/dl62

eig
    Thanks, that is helpful but it doesn't specifically say which are the foods that could be causing trouble though. It says use an elimination diet but I have seen several and am not sure which one would be best. FOr instance, onions or no onions? eggs ok or are they a possible food allergy? I have seen some elimination diets that eliminate only 1 or 2 foods more than I am eating (nightshades and fermented things) and others that eliminate all kinds of other stuff. I guess I want to know which foods would you eliminate if you were trying to find out if you had food allergies?
    "...You sort of start thinking anything's possible if you've got enough nerve. -Ginny

MarielleGO is offline Senior Member
    Start with eliminating the FODMAP, read the article and eliminate as many of these as you can for 30 days.
    Add to these dairy, eggs, and grains.

All out of your diet for 30 days….
    eat clean meat, good veggies and add fruits and nuts that you are able to eat…

After 30 days, slowly add a certain foods back, see which food causes the issues.
    My story, My thought....

It's all about trying to stay healthy!!!!

Calories? Aren't that those little creatures that live in my closet and shrink my clothes at night?
    AN EARTH WARRIOR!!!!

eig
    Thanks, I don't know how I missed that!

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Food elimination is a much more accurate way to determine food allergies than any kind of allergy testing where once you have the results, you still have to try the elimination diet to determine if the results were right anyway (and they very often aren't).

For best results, eat really clean according to FODMAP standards (from MarielleGO's link above) for a month or so. Then ONE AT A TIME, add the foods back for a few days. If you notice any symptoms that weren't there while you were eating clean via FODMAP, that food may be a trigger. Then, onto the next food you eliminated.

And yes, unfortunately, even the best quality eggs are a trigger for some.
    "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

kmarie is offline Senior Member
    I am doing a Whole 30 AIP/FODMAP elimination to figure out my food intolerances. Like mentioned earlier, gut problems can cause food intolerance so the limited easy to digest diet can also help w gut healing.
    You can get Paleo lists for various plans at Whole9 which is the ISWF site.

I haven't started adding things back yet since I have another week to go so I can't let tell you how my plan worked out

Best of luck!
    K

eig
    Thanks y'all, sad day on the eggs Im tired of these allergy like symptoms especially so I will give it a go and hopefully find theres something I can do about them.

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by eig View Post
    Thanks y'all, sad day on the eggs Im tired of these allergy like symptoms especially so I will give it a go and hopefully find theres something I can do about them.
    Eat your fermented veggies and other ferments regularly! Got to get that gut bacteria back in working order.

Also, as you try the elimination diet, they may point to other triggers and not eggs, ya never know. You may eventually be able to add them back. A some people do fine with them as long as they don't go crazy on them all the time so just eat them occasionally. It may not be a "forever and never" thing with the eggs.
    "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

noodletoy is offline Senior Member
    could be the proteins in the whites too. some do better just with yolks.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast