Thread: More fiber to dilute blood counts? page

ktpete is offline Junior Member

Smile More fiber to dilute blood counts?

Primal Fuel
    My grandma has recently started trying to eat more primal foods. She has been on blood thinners for a long time and when she went to have her blood count tested they told her that all the leafy veggies have made her blood counts thicker than they want. They told her she needs more fiber. Her friend went and got some sort of organic grain fiber cereal, but I told her to give it away and go for fruit and veggie fiber. Any suggestions to the best food choices for her situation?

hw1178 is offline Member
    Avocado!!!!

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ktpete View Post
    My grandma has recently started trying to eat more primal foods. She has been on blood thinners for a long time and when she went to have her blood count tested they told her that all the leafy veggies have made her blood counts thicker than they want. They told her she needs more fiber. Her friend went and got some sort of organic grain fiber cereal, but I told her to give it away and go for fruit and veggie fiber. Any suggestions to the best food choices for her situation?
    What they're saying is that she's getting more vitamin k - or more effect from vitamin K than they'd prefer. Good options for naturally thinning blood without having to increase coumadin/warfarin:
    grapeseed extract
    pycnogenol
    fish oil

more veggies won't help as it'll provide more vitamin K as does meat. High fiber fruit can help - berries will be beneficial but more than that, I'd recommend the above supplements. I'd suspect she just needs more Ω3 to naturally resolve this issue. As she's been on blood thinners 'for a long time', her docs should be alerted to the fact that she's taking fish oil (if she indeed does) and/or that she's increased fish intake and/or that she's taking grape seed extract and pycnogenol.

LInks for the best values that I've found for these can be found in my links below.

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

avocado is offline Senior Member
    Yeah, fiber has nothing to do with blood thinner effects or blood counts. It's too bad they try to "dumb it down" and just bungle it all up instead.