Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How anal do I need to be about removing gluten? page

FatIsAwesome is offline Member

Question How anal do I need to be about removing gluten?

So...gluten is an interesting thing. I've heard that in order to get the benefits of gluten free you need to completely avoid it, not even small amounts are allowed.

But I've also heard a lot of people do 80/20 where they eat gluten and shit like that 20% of the time.

So... is it pointless to give up gluten if you're still eating it on a semi-regular basis?

See the thing is, giving up bread and pasta and shit like that is easy, but the thing is, gluten is added to ALL KINDS OF SHIT that doesn't even really need it. Cup of soups, store-bought sauces...everything is contaminated with this nasty shit.

I guess what I'm asking is do I need to live like a celiac in order to properly benefit from gluten-free?

Primaholic is offline Junior Member
    I've naturally transitioned from largely gluten free to purely gluten free. I think when we understand the science as well as incorporate the entire lifestyle and attitude, it's not going feel so much as a chore to a choice. In my case, wanting to pack as many nutrients as possible per eating has already contributed to becoming purely gluten-free. I'm still unable to answer your full question with my current experience, but I hope still offer something.
    Last edited by Primaholic; 01-29-2014 at 07:00 PM.
    Male|18|5'8|155-160 lbs|University of Florida

picklepete is offline Senior Member
    Amount matters--1g is not 10g. Most people will not react to those incidental amounts, but avoiding storebought soups and sauces is wise for other reasons. IME homemade versions may seem laborious but harboring doubts about commercial food wastes more brain power in the long run.

The hardest part about nutrition is isolating variables--anyone who is content with how they feel and look should carry on, anyone who isn't should try adjusting things and grain allergens are definitely near the top of that list.
    35//6'3"/180

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

Jena is offline Senior Member
    The less gluten, the better. That being said, it will pop up in things here and there. I do eat some store bought soups, that I am sure contain it. For the most part I just try to make my own soups and meals from the best ingredients I can afford and have access too at any given time. Recently I have been making a large crockpot meal on Sundays, pulled pork, a stew or soup, pot roast, etc... and eating it through Wednesday, making small simple meals for the rest of the week, eggs and bacon, a piece of meat with sautéed spinach or steamed broccoli, stuff like that. If I get in a pinch I will pick out a canned soup, or a frozen dinner. Atkins has some decent grain free dinners, and progresso makes some gluten free soups. One of the nice things about being primal is that you can eat a large meal and then go several hours without crashing or feeling starved.

namelesswonder is offline Senior Member
    I think it depends on the source. If you really can't help it, don't sweat it, but if you don't need to be eating pre-made soups and things like that, don't.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Curing IBS-C with Vitamin C and magnesium citrate.

noodletoy is offline Senior Member
    why do people use "anal" when talking about stuff they put in their mouths? just. yuk.

there are actual verbs, like "concerned", or adjectives, like "strict", that apply and don't involve other body parts.

eck.

but stuff like canned soups generally have all sorts of stuff in them you don't want, besides gluten.

you may be accustomed to eating processed and prepared foods but as you move along you're going to need to learn to cook for yourself.
    Last edited by noodletoy; 01-29-2014 at 07:58 PM.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

– Ernest Hemingway

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    I think that as a general rule anything that is processed and includes gluten is off limits. We even buy Tamari (which is what you call soy sauce without the gluten).

That said, I'm currently experimenting with homemade sourdough. So I'm sure there are some on here that regard me as a heretic.

p.s. There might actually be nothing wrong with gluten. The benefits of going gluten free might just be not eating all the processed crap that has wheat in it, nothing to do with gluten itself.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

SoccerGrok is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by magicmerl View Post
    I think that as a general rule anything that is processed and includes gluten is off limits. We even buy Tamari (which is what you call soy sauce without the gluten).

That said, I'm currently experimenting with homemade sourdough. So I'm sure there are some on here that regard me as a heretic.

p.s. There might actually be nothing wrong with gluten. The benefits of going gluten free might just be not eating all the processed crap that has wheat in it, nothing to do with gluten itself.
    Home made sourdough is DA BOMB!!! I have cultures in my freezer and make it from time to time.
    Free your mind, and your Grok will follow!

TQP
    TQP is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FatIsAwesome View Post
    So...gluten is an interesting thing. I've heard that in order to get the benefits of gluten free you need to completely avoid it, not even small amounts are allowed.

But I've also heard a lot of people do 80/20 where they eat gluten and shit like that 20% of the time.

So... is it pointless to give up gluten if you're still eating it on a semi-regular basis?

See the thing is, giving up bread and pasta and shit like that is easy, but the thing is, gluten is added to ALL KINDS OF SHIT that doesn't even really need it. Cup of soups, store-bought sauces...everything is contaminated with this nasty shit.

I guess what I'm asking is do I need to live like a celiac in order to properly benefit from gluten-free?
    I don't think you need to live like a celiac in that you don't have to worry about cross-contamination as much when you go out to eat, or if you have someone else in your household that isn't gluten free. You should work towards not actively consuming gluten-laden foods though...ie. your 20% should be gluten-free stuff *eventually* (see below).

As fore 80/20...I'm not really 80/20 anymore more like 90/10 and I am 100% gluten free. My treats are gluten free oatmeal, occasional sushi, dark chocolate (I consider all candy non-paleo), and seed oil/gums/other sketchy additives in sauces when I'm dining out. These 10% foods fluctuate based on my current obsession. Right now it's gluten free oatmeal because I crave a steaming hot bowl of comfort food when NYC is so cold outside. I keep meaning to get gluten free pizza crust so I can make a pizza but it's been 2 months since I wanted to make one and I still haven't been motivated enough to do so.

I think 80/20 is a good rule for when you first start paleo because it's so hard to make a complete transition, you don't know how to say no to baked goods in every situation yet, and etc. Once I learned how to be truly paleo (ie learn how to cook and enjoy food without pasta/bread/cereal/baked goods and their pseudo-paleo substitutes) I dropped gluten completely. However, I don't really freak out about it though- once at a law school event the brownies looked good so I took one. I ended up only eating 1/8th of it because it just wasn't that delicious. That's my only foray into gluten in almost a year.

Note: you can still have sourdough if you're that into wheat stuff as your 20% and be gluten-free.
    Last edited by TQP; 01-29-2014 at 08:27 PM.

miata is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    It depends on your tolerance. If you've pulled off a 30 day challenge and had bad reactions then a little might not be good. When you eat gluten what kind of reaction do you get and how long does it last. I bet most people can tolerate a little, but a decent minority will be noticeable impacted if they are eat more than trace amounts.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast