Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Uk tv programme fat v sugar -omg!!!! page

jacobsen001 is offline Member

Uk tv programme fat v sugar -omg!!!!

Who has watched this? I just did. I was hoping they would finally tell the truth about fats and sugars, - NOPE

They are totally saying that a high fat low sugar diet could give you diabetes.

I'm so angry.

BBC2
    'Myths which are believed in tend to become true'
    George Orwell

DinoHunter is offline Senior Member
    Funny... High fat, low sugar got rid of my DH's Diabetes......
    Every time I hear the dirty word 'exercise', I wash my mouth out with chocolate.

http://primaldog.blogspot.co.uk/

mdh157 is offline Member
    that is why it is up to all of us to do the research ourselves.........trusting others only ends in disappointment!

If you are not a reader, and you see this they are saying high fat makes your insulin low which then give you high blood glucose.

And that the bad thing is fat and sugar together - which is at least true
    George Orwell

I was torn between that and the Big Brother final !!
    Just catching the end now

What did anyone else make of this?
    George Orwell

ConorC is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jacobsen001 View Post
    What did anyone else make of this?
    I thought it was very interesting. I thought there were some nuggets of good information in there, however I was a little disappointed that they were reluctant to say that saturated fat is "not bad for you"; although they did make the distinction between saturated fats and transfats.

They did admit that the experiment was not completely scientific i.e. very small cohort of two. There's no evidence that either twin stuck religiously to the diet; both seemed to be craving the missing macro-nutrient which seems a bit odd in the case of the high fat diet, as appetite for carbs should have diminished, especially after 1 month.

It was going well until near the end when they indicated that a high fat diet was causing one of the twins to become borderline diabetic. I must admit it cast a shadow of doubt in my mind regarding low carb diets, especially as I have never had any glucose or insulin blood tests done on myself and the tests appeared to be cutting edge and scientific; however we don't know who funds the research facilities and experts running them.

It is possible that the twin moving from a 'normal' (high carb) diet to the high fat diet experienced higher blood sugars at the end of the experiment because his body was compensating for the lack of sugar in the diet (homeostatic processes that we have built up over the years, I suppose; the body expects higher glucose/insulin levels so manufactures more glucose), however that is just speculation on my part, as I have no scientific knowledge or proof. It's also possible that the higher levels of glucose in the blood are the result his body becoming fat adapted. Please correct me if I'm wrong here, but wouldn't body fat have to be converted to glucose before if could be used as fuel?

I was also confused as to why the twin on the high fat diet lost so much muscle mass (neither twin was engaged in LHT or sprinting). Could a reduced level of protein intake cause that much muscle mass to be lost?
    As the twin's muscle was used to store glucose, and there was a reduced carb intake, could the body require less muscle mass for the storage of glucose, especially if the twins are not using muscle to lift heavy things? Back to the homeostatic body, I guess; If it's not needed then the body gets rid of it.

I thought the part on the concentration levels and ketones / glucose levels for brain fuel was puzzling (the stocks and shares experiment). There was no evidence to show that the twin on the high fat diet had become ketone-adapted at that stage and that his brain would function optimally. His brain could still have been glucose adapted and simply be feeling the effects of a reduced amount of fuel.

I understand these are simple questions and statements I have made, and that I could be completely off the mark with some of them.

I though overall the programme raised some interesting questions, but then back-tracked in the conclusions; you could see the puzzlement on their faces when they though conventional wisdom was being challenged.

My fiancee, who loyally follows conventional wisdom, was left very confused as to what she should be eating (she worries about a lot of things anyway), and now doesn't know who or what to believe. I'm glad the programme has raised some debate on the mainstream media, but concerned that a clear message hasn't been put forward.

Lettie is offline Member
    I've yet to watch it, but according to this article, One twin gave up sugar, the other gave up fat. Their experiment could change YOUR life | Mail Online the high fat twin was allowed NO fruit or veg at all! That was never going to be a healthy out come. Or is the article incorrect?

ConorC is offline Junior Member
    yeah that sounds right; the twin on the high fat diet was told no fruit or veg at all.

Mud Flinger is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Another factor to consider here was that we all are not the same. This was about 2 twins. They have different needs than I have. Many have learned here that low carb causes them many problems, while some do great and cure health problems. Interesting stuff to study, but no real conclusions can be made for everyone. I found the fat and sugar dopamine test interesting. I explains why some can eat fruit without binging, but cake not so much.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast