Thread: Food combination, sour cream, and alternatives page

cerebelumsdayoff is offline Senior Member

Food combination, sour cream, and alternatives

Primal Fuel
    So my pants have begun to feel tighter than usual. I don't require a belt anymore. I have experienced the opposite effect of what many people claim here. Ot led to think about what caused it. I really don't eat anything too bad. One meal a day starting with a little bit of veggies (ie mushrooms) sauteed in some coconut oil with chopped garlic and onions, spices, a strip of bacon and 1/4 c coconut milk. I then move to meat: 1 porkchop, 2 organic grass fed beef patties (about small-medium in size id say, dont really have a scale to measure). Those are eaten with some condiments like hommade mayo made from evoo, homemade sugar free kectchup, mustard, salsa, etc. Then i usually go for 2-3 more strips of bacon with 2 eggs. I also noticed something. I have been indulging in a lot of sour cream lately. And i mean a lot: eating about 1-2 cups of it. I justified this by saying tha it is lure fat and has no lactose in it. Fat eating burns fat therefore i should be fine. I think i was wrong. It led me to wonder whether cream and sour cream are considered dairy.

Second, i talked with my mom and she said it was wrong to mix meat with any dairy product (cheese, cream, etc). She says hat because meat is hader to digest dairy goes into fat immediately. Anyone heard of such mixing guidelines?

Finally, are there any alternatives to sour cream that are made of nondairy products like coconut milk. As much as i love my dairy, i will be giving it up for a while to see what happens.
    --
    Here it is, your moment of zen.

It's a no brainer: The journal of the cerebelum

NoMoreGrains is offline Member
    I've ben wondering the same thing about sour cream. I've noticed that good sour cream (the kind that's just cultured cream) tastes just as good as Fage Total fat greek yogurt, and is cheaper. Despite this, the label lists 1 gram of sugars per serving (8 servings in 8 oz container). I'd also like to know if cream/sour cream really is just pure fat, or if it has similiar carb effects as lactose containing dairy products.

jo
    jo is offline Senior Member
    My sour cream has about half the carbs as yoghurt. Neither are that high though.

I'm not sure I believe the food combining stuff. Of course kosher Jewish people don't mix meat and dairy (won't even cook in them in the same kitchens), who knows maybe this comes from some ancient dietary wisdom that has been lost. Fish and dairy are allowed though.

Probably an idea to drop the sour cream and see if it makes a difference.

cerebelumsdayoff is offline Senior Member
    I'll definitely be avoiding dairy for a while to see what happens.

Some of the food combination I have read seems plain arbitrary, whereas others make sense. I remember the warrior diet people advising against mixing fat and carbs, which makes sense as the resulted insulin spike will simply put all those carbs and fats into adipose tissue.

Meat and sour cream doesn't make sense though. Sour cream is pretty much completely fat, with very little sugar left over. Combining meat and fat does not appear to be a bad combo.

I do think that eating so much sour cream may have led to the tighter pants! 1 cup of sour cream is about 800 calories. 2 cups is therefore 1600. That is a lot to put on top of all that meat and fat that were consumed before hand.
    --
    Here it is, your moment of zen.

It's a no brainer: The journal of the cerebelum

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    Coconut milk + brains.

I tried.
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

jkilbane is offline Junior Member
    Eating once a day might be raising cortisol and stressing your body too much. Maybe try splitting the meal up into two so you aren't fasting quite as long?

Zed
    Zed is offline Senior Member
    There is some truth in the whole food combining theory (we know that some nutrients are absorbed better if they are combined with others, etc) , but the overall principles (don't combine fat with protein or fat with carbs, etcs) are myths according to several online sites (just Google "Food Combining Myth"). It doesn't make sense if you look at how (where and when) food is digested in your body, and it simply have no scientific proofs and was invented by Dr. William Howard in 1911, based on the fact that different enzymes are needed to digest different food sources, such as fat/protein/carbs, and some enzymes work in a alkaline environment and others in acid environment. He then theorized that if certain food require a certain environment in order to get digested, then the logic step would be to not combine foods that need different enzymes to in order to get digested (because alkaline enzymes and acid enzymes cancel each other out)......this would mean that you can't protein (meat, fish, eggs, dailry) with fats or oil (lard, tallow, butter, etc) or carbs (grains, etc). The theory also states that your body can't digest two different types of protein sources (no steak/eggs combination or eggs/cheese) or two fat sources at the same time.

This is just BS! Our body is more complex that, and can handle food in any combination. There are some great articles online debunking this myth. There may perhaps be many would benefit from such principles, but saying that this how "humans" are to eat is simply not true.....
    Last edited by Zed; 06-17-2010 at 05:07 PM.

jrc64 is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by cerebelumsdayoff View Post
    I'll definitely be avoiding dairy for a while to see what happens.

Some of the food combination I have read seems plain arbitrary, whereas others make sense. I remember the warrior diet people advising against mixing fat and carbs, which makes sense as the resulted insulin spike will simply put all those carbs and fats into adipose tissue.

Meat and sour cream doesn't make sense though. Sour cream is pretty much completely fat, with very little sugar left over. Combining meat and fat does not appear to be a bad combo.

I do think that eating so much sour cream may have led to the tighter pants! 1 cup of sour cream is about 800 calories. 2 cups is therefore 1600. That is a lot to put on top of all that meat and fat that were consumed before hand.
    There you go my friend.....that's 1,600 calories in sour cream alone!!!! Bottom line here....calories vs. calories out. Cut you portions down to 1/4 cup and see what happens.