Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Primal Challenge Journal. johnd.biker page

johndilsaver Guest

Hi All

I'm a complete beginner at this. I got tuned in to the primal nutrition ideas from an article in the rivendell (bicycle company) newsletter. I've noticed for a long time that eating sugar is immediately harmful to me, bad mood, low energy etc.

My goals, improve my nutrition, work out more, but don't hammer the intensity. Generally I'm a cyclist, -- beautiful summer for cycling here in the midwest, -- yesterday was 20 miles at a greatly reduced intensity for me, a casual ride helping a beginner get used to her bike, great fun.

johndilsaver Guest

Dinner

baked chicken with squash, onions, red peppers, and garlic. I heated some cherry tomatoes (fresh out of my garden) in olive oil, along with some basil leaves. Used flaked red pepper to season the chicken. I planted tomatoes late late, and just starting to get big ones. I heated a sliced tomato in a skillet, flipped the slices, and then stacked them with basil leaves between the tomato pieces. Possibly the best meal I've ever cooked.

johndilsaver Guest

Oh yeah, no beer last night. That was a challenge. Just water. I have a few bottles of really nice dark beer in the fridge, ---- waiting. It'll be a reward in a few days . . . .

Often when I wake up my hands "creak" -- joints pop, it'll sound like breaking a handful of dry twigs when I flex my fingers. I've noticed when I stay away form sugar, less or no creaking. This morning, only minimal noise. How does that work, exactly?

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member

I'm guessing there's less inflammation? I'm not really sure.

Great job avoiding the beer last night.

johndilsaver Guest

Thanks!

johndilsaver Guest

Ok, day 2 started good with an omelette, also, an hour of dance as exercise. Then a couple of beers intervened and knocked me a bit off track . . . so ===> fast forward

Day 3 (wed), breakfast was half an omelette

Lunch was eaten out with family, and wasn't a good experience, but I got more back on track at dinner.

Dinner

Baken chicken, separately prepared sauteed onions, red and yellow peppers, cherry tomatoes, fresh garlic.

I felt satiated after the meal, it was really very tasty, best meal in a couple days, and I woke up the next morning not hungry.

johndilsaver Guest

Day 4. Thurs.

Skipped breakfast, I never do that, I'm always hungry in the morning.

Lunch. Well, I had breakfast for lunch. Eggs (3, I know, probably too many), scrambled with some cheddar cheese, basil, and dill from the garden. On the side I sauteed an onion, along with a handful of cherry tomatoes, and some garlic. When I mention garlic, it's usually elephant garlic, technically an onion, I think, less pungent than regular garlic, easy and fun to grow. I didn't realize until recently how well the flavors of basil and dill go with eggs

johndilsaver Guest

Ok, here's a general comment. I teach h.s. (math/ science) and school doesn't start for 2 1/2 weeks. So, right now is sort of the calm-before-the-storm. I can get up when I choose, cook what I want, my schedule is flexible. But in a couple weeks that all changes, stress level nudges up a notch, and all that.

Just fyi, I enjoy the students a lot, the stress level bump is mostly from a combination of the hectic sched and the occasional bureaucratic friction.

I've been getting the bicycle in shape for commuting to work, a great stress reliever. Is commuting to work on the bike primal? I'll ride in rain (sometimes) and rode in one day at 18 degrees F. Primal, neurotic, psychotic, fun, . . .

Another goal I have is to bike commute more this year, and then also of course another goal is to keep the primal eating going after school begins. Commuting will be the easier of the two.

johndilsaver Guest

Day 4

Dinner; left over chicken, onions, peppers, etc from yesterday. Still very tasty. reheated. Had a handful of almonds for desert.

Collected most of the ingredients for the primal-energy-bar, I need to find one or two more ingredients. This generated a trip to a health food store (one I hadn't been to, the one I used to infrequently go to, had gone away. Apparently I did not visit often enough). I've experimented a lot with what I eat on long rides, and I'm still not satisfied, and what I've been doing isn't primal in any sense.

Workout. (1) One hour of dance lessons. --- Is dance primal, I vote yes. I'm finding it also rather challenging.

(2) Bicycling. About one hour, 16 or 17 miles, I hit it pretty hard for me, I was feeling stressed, and it was either beer or bike. I chose the bike, rode hard, after 10 minutes or so I felt a lot better. I suppose something biochemical about the exertion was changing my brain chemistry, because all the thoughts were still there, but the emotional state was (much) better.

johndilsaver Guest

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

Day 5, Friday.

Breakfast (ate out) two eggs, bacon, lots of sliced tomatoes. The cook at my fav restaurant lets me substitute sliced tomatoes for hash browns, and also for bread.

Lunch. skipped

Late afternoon snack. half of an omelette, left from breakfast a couple days ago. with a small handful of almonds

Dinner. baked chicken with onions and peppers. Lots of water and no beer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast