Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How the heck do you get enough calories? page

Bear is offline Senior Member

How the heck do you get enough calories?

We're both (spouse and me) athletic and need calories. By going Primal and cutting the crap out of our diets, we've lost a lot of calories (unhealthy ones), but we can't/won't eat eggs every day, and we can't live on bone broth.

How the hell do we get the calories we need? Sometimes I absolutely crave a McDonald's hamburger and fries. And I hate hypoglycemia...

What to do?

TQP
    TQP is online now Senior Member
    I don't know... Drink juice and eat fruit/dairy?

-____-

Also eat lots of meat.

noodletoy is offline Senior Member
    protein, carbs and fat. jeebus.

ya know a meal is meat/fish, some starch, some veg and some fat. i eat 2x a day and have no trouble assembling a meal that is 600-800 cals, even without a starch.

why do you think you need to live on bone broth?
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    On VLC I ate one or two pounds of meat a day, avocados, eggs, leafy greens, seafood, plus coconut milk (<--staples, also other foods) to fill the void.

Now I eat one pound of meat, six to eight eggs, lots of potatoes and carrots, yogurt, bananas, raw milk, raw/grass-fed cheese, broths )<---again, staples, other foods, too), etc. Doing great!

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Quote Originally Posted by TQP View Post
    I don't know... Drink juice and eat fruit/dairy?

-____-

Also eat lots of meat.
    Oh...never mind...

Quote Originally Posted by noodletoy View Post
    protein, carbs and fat. jeebus.

ya know a meal is meat/fish, some starch, some veg and some fat. i eat 2x a day and have no trouble assembling a meal that is 600-800 cals, even without a starch.

why do you think you need to live on bone broth?
    I threw the bone broth thing in there because I kept seeing it on this forum...wasn't seriously considering it.

What kind of starch are you talking about...? What kind of fat?

TQP
    TQP is online now Senior Member

How the heck do you get enough calories?

It's just that I find it weird that you care SO much about what you eat. You posted 9 billion milk/whey/dairy threads, you posted about omgggg orange juice, now you are wondering how to eat food when you have a perfectly capable mouth and stomach? You don't even need to lose weight or cut for competition. It sounds like an unhealthy obsession...

Paleo should be a tool and not a goal. If you are freaking out over every morsel of food you are paleoing too hard. You are going to die whether you eat the holy grail or McDonald's.

Avoid food that is obviously bad like Atomic Red Hot Cheetos or Nuclear Winter- Resistant Twinkies. Avoid soy, seed oil and gluten. Otherwise... Just EAT. Meat, eggs, butter, fruit, tubers, rice, dairy, coconut, seafood...

#firstworldproblems
    Last edited by TQP; 01-28-2014 at 09:41 PM.

Uggla is offline Junior Member
    I get a large number of my calories from eating around 100g of fat everyday, by using grassfed organic heavy cream in my tea and coffee, and grass-fed butter but if you are not into dairy there is also the ever so awesome virgin coconut oil! You can cook with that or just make sure you eat three tablespoons a day.

There are meany health benefits to coconut oil! Also fatty nuts and vegetables like avocado. Calories from healthy fats does the body and brain good!

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    I bash my head against my desk every time I see a thread like this. Just eat more of what you usually eat or eat more calorically dense food. My goodness.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Variety my man! Part of the problem with switching to paleo for a lot of people is that their culinary skills have atrophied. So they think they are stuck with scrambled eggs, chicken breast, and those microwave broccoli/cauliflower packs! Not so. If you learn to cook you will be amazed at how nutrient and even calorically dense (if you so choose) can be. Especially when you harness the power of coconut cream and oil to use in your dishes. Of course you already know not to shun the fat right? Fatty and gelatinous primal cuts of meat are a must if you are doing this the old school way. On top of that we have a couple of paleo cookbooks that really keep things fresh. And Robb Wolf put together a spread on ways to make a bunch of different combos.

Here is a great book: Everyday Paleo: Sarah Fragoso, Robb Wolf: 9780982565810: Amazon.com: Books

And here is the Robb Wolf food combo matrix: http://robbwolf.com/wp/wp-content/up...FoodMatrix.pdf

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast