Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: How the heck do you get enough calories? page 2

PrimalMama is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Um... RTFM? Mark (not the forums. The main MDA website) has so much information, including what to eat, recipes, etc.

why won't you eat eggs every day?
    What does a typical day if food look like?
    Can't tell you what to add to your diet if we don't know what you're eating to begin with. (Other than "not eggs & bone broth")

noodletoy is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PrimalMama View Post
    (Other than "not eggs & bone broth")
    add seaweed and hot sauce and that's breakfast for me almost everyday.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

Bear is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TQP View Post
    It's just that I find it weird that you care SO much about what you eat. You posted 9 billion milk/whey/dairy threads, you posted about omgggg orange juice, now you are wondering how to eat food when you have a perfectly capable mouth and stomach? You don't even need to lose weight or cut for competition. It sounds like an unhealthy obsession...

Paleo should be a tool and not a goal. If you are freaking out over every morsel of food you are paleoing too hard. You are going to die whether you eat the holy grail or McDonald's.

Avoid food that is obviously bad like Atomic Red Hot Cheetos or Nuclear Winter- Resistant Twinkies. Avoid soy, seed oil and gluten. Otherwise... Just EAT. Meat, eggs, butter, fruit, tubers, rice, dairy, coconut, seafood...

#firstworldproblems
    Thanks. By the way...your advice would be a lot easier to accept if it didn't come packaged with an attitude. Notice that in a lot of your posts....just saying.
    Last edited by Bear; 01-29-2014 at 06:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by PrimalMama View Post
    Um... RTFM? Mark (not the forums. The main MDA website) has so much information, including what to eat, recipes, etc.

why won't you eat eggs every day?
    What does a typical day if food look like?
    Can't tell you what to add to your diet if we don't know what you're eating to begin with. (Other than "not eggs & bone broth")
    Thanks...will re-read the book. Thought maybe I could get a few "tips" from others who have done this. But you're right to point me back to the book. Let's hope this thread fades quickly! Cheers...

Mr. Anthony is online now Senior Member
    I didn't think the OP's question was awful to ask; I don't really get the negativity. I have days where I need 4,000 calories or more, and it's a chore eating that much. That's a LOT of paleo food.

Sent via lightsaber

Warmbear is offline Senior Member
    Yeah some folks here get tetchy sometimes. also we get a lot of trolls and some folks just get grumpy. What does a days calories look like for you and the SO?

I am curious about the eggs, why would you not eat them every day? I have -6 a day for breakfast with a tablespoon of butter melted in.

Add butter to cooking, add coconut oil when cooking, save and cook with bacon fat or beef tallow etc. all this adds calories.

If you do not have weight to loose then add in potatoes, white rice or other starchy veggies.

How much protein do you eat and what kinds? if you are a chicken breast only type you are likely not getting enough food. A big steak or mess of liver and onions makes a great meal.

I cook with bone broth any time I need liquid to cook with so add that shit in everywhere.
    Primal since April 2012 Male 6' 3" SW 345lbs CW 240lbs GW 220lbs and when I get there I am getting a utlikilt. This one http://www.utilikilts.com/company/pr...ilts/workmans/ actually.

Join me at www.paleoplanet.net, where all the cavemen hang out.

critta is offline Senior Member
    Fat is very calorie dense so if your trying to add easy calories that's the way to go. I am trying to gain some weight while staying LC so I am making smoothies with a can of coconut milk. When I totaled that out it was 1300 calories on fitday.

coconut milk 1 can
    almond butter 1 TBS
    greek yogurt 1 cup
    primal fuel protien powder 2 scoops

Also avocado and grass fed butter are a great fat sources.

Quote Originally Posted by Warmbear View Post
    Yeah some folks here get tetchy sometimes. also we get a lot of trolls and some folks just get grumpy. What does a days calories look like for you and the SO?

I am curious about the eggs, why would you not eat them every day? I have -6 a day for breakfast with a tablespoon of butter melted in.

Add butter to cooking, add coconut oil when cooking, save and cook with bacon fat or beef tallow etc. all this adds calories.

If you do not have weight to loose then add in potatoes, white rice or other starchy veggies.

How much protein do you eat and what kinds? if you are a chicken breast only type you are likely not getting enough food. A big steak or mess of liver and onions makes a great meal.

I cook with bone broth any time I need liquid to cook with so add that shit in everywhere.
    Thanks for the considered response. Regarding eggs...I have many years of bias to overcome on this one. We'll eat eggs maybe 3, sometimes 4, days a week, but I'm always wary of health advice on whether a food is good or bad, since what once was bad often becomes good, and "in fashion", only to later be discovered as bad again. So I err on the side of caution.

As for meat...we eat chicken and fish and sometimes ground beef in spaghetti or tacos. But I can't eat a lot of red meat, no matter how "healthy" it's supposed to be.

I'm going to re-insert milk back into my diet next week (after a 3-week experiment without), because I'm not lactose intolerant and I love it in a protein shake...which will put calories back in my diet (whole milk).

I gave up sugar, because it was harming me, and I am the original "Cookie Monster". This has been a little difficult, but not too bad...again, though, a big source of calories (although empty, unhealthful ones...).

Just adding milk back will help. But I need to wait for a week, because I'm currently dealing with a case of C. Difficile that I contracted while on an antibiotic (which, it turns out I didn't need...that's on another thread), and the medication used to defeat it makes dairy problematic at the moment.

Again...thanks for the reasoned post...it helps.

glorth2 is offline Senior Member
    Pastured eggs and red meat are good for you and will help you feel full. If you're not willing to eat these at your output level you're going to have issues and you'll have issues getting sympathy here. It's no disrespect, I'm sure you're a great guy. This is just dogma that most of us have come to accept here.

Knifegill is online now Senior Member
    My easiest go-to dinner is a pound of grass-fed beef (ground, steak, whatever was on sale) or similar, 6 to eight eggs, five to ten boiled carrots and three to five sweet potatoes also boiled. I make ginger tea out of the veggie water. I add tallow, bacon grease, duck fat, other fats to my frying pan and the egg whites suck them right up.

Have you tried a month of steak and eggs to see how good it feels? And watch your lab numbers improve on it. You'll be angry about the lies, but happy as your HDL soars. Most likely. Red meat is your friend. Not salami and pepperoni, obviously. But chunks of real animal bathed in stable, saturated fat with nutrient-dense eggs, liver, seafood, etc., you can't lose.

P.S. I hate to say this, but you have to jump in both feet or you will never know. Whether it's a weak appetite or old lies dissuading you, that's up to you to sort out. But so far you haven't tried Primal Blueprint nutrition at all. Not even for one day.
    Last edited by Knifegill; 01-29-2014 at 08:08 AM.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast