Page 1 of 66 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Spiritual Journey page

Wendy717 is online now Senior Member

Primal Spiritual Journey

Primal Fuel
    After some difficulty with registration, I am finally registered an able to start my journal! I am very excited about this. I have found many of the journals of others to be very inspiring and supportive of my journey so far, and I hope to be the same for others!

I started Primal officially on November 11th 2013. I had been nearly so for a about a month before that. I am one that was a CW guru. I thought I did everything right! Yet I was adding the pounds consistently as I got older (I will be 46 on Feb 8th), and was edging into Type II diabetes! How could that be when I ate well (what I thought was well!), went to the gym (weights and cardio), etc. Reading the information on this website was like having a major "Ah Ha!" moment (or several as it was). It made so much sense! Let me tell you, it has been a truly liberating experience to not fear fat anymore! I love it now! And my body loves it too!

So, I started out at 183 lbs (I am 5'9")
    38" waist

I have been experiencing slow (slow and steady wins the race is my mantra these days) but steady weight loss/body changes since.

Currently 165lbs (18 lb loss)
    Waist 35 1/2" (2 1/2" off the waist!)

I am not spending hours at the gym anymore, but I get 5-7 miles of walking in per day, and I hope to start engaging in the primal fitness moves before the year is over. My fasting blood sugar levels as a little better, but not where I want them to be yet. However, I don't have the ups and downs in energy and hunger levels during the day anymore, and the mid afternoon "slump" (tired want to take a nap between 2pm-4pm) is a thing of the past!

Something I want to share now (I will be sharing frequently I am quite sure) that would have been helpful for me early in this journey is about the carb flu. I didn't know anything about that when I started this, and I had about 2 weeks of it! I thought I was just tired, I didn't know it had to do with the change. I was spacy, tired, and foggy headed (I was working a lot of overtime at the time, so I thought it was that). But, when it lifted, it was like someone threw a light switch in my body that has never been flipped! I was so clear headed, uplifted emotionally, and energetic! (partly why I walk so much! I can't sit for hours at my desk without getting up and moving anymore). It was amazing!

The other MAJOR change was something I totally didn't expect. I have always had SAD (Seasonal Affective Disorder), meaning that when it is cloudy for more than a couple of hours, my mood crashes. (I mean I go into quite serious depression and low energy). I live in AZ, so this isn't a big deal most of the time, but when it is cloudy here, it is quite dramatic for me. Well, about 30 days into being Primal, we had 3 cloudy/rainy days in a row, and I was FINE!!! I didn't feel down at all! No change in energy, nothing! I was so excited, I kept commenting on it to my housemate. I couldn't believe it! My whole life I have had that, I never thought it was possible for that to change!

Last note (for now). I use the word spiritual in my journal title, because spirituality is a big part of my life, and I am sure it will make it's way into my writing in this journal. I wanted the reader to know that up front. (I am very active in a Unity Church, Unity of Chandler in AZ. I love Sedona, meditation, Kirtan chanting, Native American sweat lodge and other ceremonies. My spiritual path is very ecclectic and earth based). Ah, I kind of lied. THIS is the last thing for now. I am in recovery. I have over 19 years clean/sober (my drug of choice was Pot). So there will be no posting about me drinking wine etc. My 20% tends to be in the area of chocolate, and Silk Soy coffee creamer. Otherwise I don't deviate from strict Paleo/Primal (I don't do dairy because I am Lactose intolerant).

I look forward to sharing with you, and getting to know those who read my musings!

Oh, for food today:
    So far:
    2 hard boiled eggs mixed with Avocado oil and pink salt
    Lunch: Home made Pork Carnitas with Swiss Chard and green Beans, about 1oz of 85% dark Chocolate
    Dinner more of what I had for lunch.
    I will likely have my salad (waiting in the fridge for me) before I leave work for the day (I am working a 12 hour shift. I am a Social Worker who works for the Insurance Company entering authorizations. Not exciting, but it pay the bills!)

Blessings!! Know that you are amazing! You have come here to do something God can only do through YOU!!
    Last edited by Wendy717; 01-27-2014 at 07:30 PM.

I am working on figuring this out. It looks like this "post quick reply" is my only option for adding my next entry? Or am I missing something.... So this post is just me testing to see if that is how I add my next entry. I have about 2 more hours to go at work, and it is very quiet in here (very few people work the extra hours like I do).

So, to tell you a little bit more about me. I have an amazing son (age 16) who is literally the best human I know. He wants to get into Harvard Law school, and based on his grades so far, I would say he has a chance! We also have a scruffy Shitz Tzu/Terrier mix named Toby who is very much a member of the family. He has really been liking the primal change in the household as his fat and meat intake has gone up dramatically too!

My real ambition is to be a published author. I have completed my first book (a spiritual adventure story for primarily young adults, but adults will love it too!), and I am looking for a good substantive editor. They are not as easy to find as you would think! This is actually just book one, there will be 5-7 to tell the whole story. It involves the Hopi prophecy information, the CIA, aliens/angels (the reader is not really sure which), and much more. It is a lot of fun to write, and it is my hope that it will positively impact this generation and affect global change for the positive.

I also didn't mention what my goals are for weight loss. My goal is to reach 130-140lbs, and have a waist at about 26-27". With how this has been going, that finally feels possible! The beauty of this lifestyle is I am never looking for something else to eat a couple of hours after my last meal. I can eat as much as I want (no sense of deprivation, which is very important to me!), and I am eating until satisfied (I have finally found that sweet spot! No more eating until "full" or overeating!). The obsession over what to eat when, is over!!

It is just beginning to get light in AZ and I am at my desk at work. Funny, I hardly noticed it was dark on the way in. Hmmm.... That is something that used to have me feeling tired before my feet hit the floor. Now believe me, I would still rather be able to sleep until the daylight creeping it's way into my room woke me, but pretty cool that even though it was still dark for my drive in I was feeling awake! Thank you Primal life!
    I slept 7 hours last night. It would have been more, but I wasn't able to get into bed any earlier than that. I made some prosciutto wrapped asparagus (last night) drizzled with olive oil baked until the end were crispy, yum! I just needed a bit more protein, veg and fat before bed. There was no harm done for sure, as the scale was not negatively impacted. Love that!
    This is the PMS time of the month. This is the time of the month when historically everything would go out the window (all good intentions, will power etc) and I would want to eat everything that isn’t nailed down, and all the things I shouldn’t eat. This was another one of the miracles of going Primal for me. No more PMS cravings!! The only thing that shows up a little bit, is the desire for chocolate (but then again, that is around off and on all through the month..). I let myself have some 70% or greater dark chocolate, usually the type sweetened with dried dates or honey that I found online, and all is well with the world. No more cheese cravings! (that used to be my biggest weakness), no more sugar cravings! No more salty/crunchy food cravings! The freedom of this can’t be described! And this is not a fluke, because I am in my 3rd PMS experience since going Primal, and it is staying the same. I will put on 1-2 lbs of water weight during this time typically, and then often lose 2-3 pounds after with ease.
    I have not eaten yet this morning, but I have a fried egg and two garlic pastured/grass fed sausages ready when I am. Heading into another long 13 hour day here at work, so I may post another time or two just to break things up a little. I am looking forward to my 3mi walk on my lunch break. It is always good to get out into the AZ sunshine and listen to the birds (My favorites are the mocking birds with their ever varied songs, and the squeaky little humming birds. So pretty!) The down side is seeing the homeless folks camped out along the side of the sidewalk through the park, or sleeping on their makeshift beds on the grass. However, If you are going to be homeless, AZ this time of year is one of the better places to be. Nice and warm. Not so much in the summer time though…. I pray for them as I pass them, walking quietly so not to disturb them. Maybe you could add your prayers for them too? God/Goddess bless and have an amazing morning!!
    Last edited by Wendy717; 01-28-2014 at 03:38 PM.

So for food so far today I have had:
    Breakfast:1 garlic grass fed sausage
    1 fried egg
    1oz 85% chocolate
    16 oz tea (Gingerbread spice and Sweet Harvest Pumpkin from Celestial seasonings with about 2 tbl spoons of soy creamer)
    Lunch:
    some home made pork carnitas with summer squash and carrots
    Salad with red leaf and romaine lettuce, carrots, grape tomatoes, red pepper and avocado oil and lime dressing
    Dinner will be soon and will be:
    More pork carnitas and veggie mix
    another cup of my tea with soy creamer

My walk was really nice today. Bright and sunny, warm (about 75F?). Saw only one homeless man taking a nap today under a tree. There are these trees in bloom right now, I have no idea what they are called, but they have these little yellow pom pom type flowers on them that smell really sweet. It reminds me of Freesia. Walked my usual 1hr and 10 minutes. I get an additional 3 miles during the day by getting up and walking laps in the building I work in. I time it to know how many laps are a mile (yes, I am a just a tad bit OCD. Grins)

I just hit a wall at work. One of the systems we use went down completely, so I thought it was a good time to update since I can't do any work at the moment.

I am looking forward to sleeping tonight. I sleep really well since going Primal, and since added the Magnesium oil spray to my nightly routine, I have been having tons of really vivid and interesting dreams. It is like free entertainment, and it is very tempting to hit snooze in the morning so I can keep dreaming....

For those who may be curious, I am single, and not seeing anyone. In a lot of ways I don't really have time to date (I work a lot, have commitments at my spiritual center, my recovery meetings, etc.), but I also have just really had a hard time finding anyone local of quality enough to invest my time in. I know that might sound a little conceited, but I have just come to a place where I know what I want, and I don't want someone who comes with excessive baggage (especially if they haven't really worked on any of it yet!). So, while I hold out a small amount of hope, I am content being single. I have a lot going on, and plenty I love to do to keep my busy all the rest of my days.

And I have my dog! (he is only about 4 1/2 years old, and a small dog, so I should have him for a good long time yet) He is a great companion, doesn't talk back, gives me unconditional love, and sleeps curled up against my legs at night. Lonely am I not!! Time to go and see if the computer has been fixed yet...
    Last edited by Wendy717; 01-30-2014 at 01:28 PM.

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    Welcome Wendy. I have enjoyed reading your journal.

As a Christian, I also have found that there is a spiritual dimension to primal. It's like living the way we were designed to live by our loving Creator. Eating the natural foods designed to nourish us, moving our awesomely made bodies the way they work best, treating them with respect, co-operating with the natural healing process etc etc. I think it's just wonderful.

I agree! I strive for what we in Unity call "Christ Consciousness" which is to have the same level of connection with God that he had, and ability to do miracles as he did. (after all, didn't he say "even the least among you will do all that I have done and even greater things"?) Only place I see trouble, is why did he feed the multitudes with "loaves and fishes". Maybe it was just the fishes, and the human part of authorship changed it some? Our bodies were designed to heal themselves, our job is to provide them with the right fuel for that healing. Eating what our ancestors did, with respect, reverence, and blessing the food we eat, is some of the path to perfect health. That, and movement, laughter, touch, music, dance, prayer and meditation and you have a prescription for bliss! Thanks for being the first to comment on my journal!

One hour to go until I am done with work for the day. All is quiet in the building again. I am looking forward to diving into my "fluff reading" book Polo by Jilly Cooper (fluff reading is a book just for fun. I am longing for romance, and since there is none for the time being in my own life, I am indulging in it in story form. The best part about her books is that there is a real story there, and it involves one of my other favorite things, horses!!!). I am really longing for a whole day that I can snuggle down into the covers and lose myself in the world of horses and sexy men who know how to romance a woman.... But, since I am not good at "faking sick" in order to take a day off, and I need the OT hours, I don't think it's happening any time soon. I am seriously longing for it though.... May have to schedule in at least a couple of hours of that on my next day off (Sunday).

I am in for another LONG work day (13 hours), but I got 8 hours needed sleep last night, so I am ready for it. Lot's of dreams again last night/this morning. That Magnesium oil is something else. Loving it!

I have had random thoughts about how this lifestyle is really like starting a revolution. WE are bringing business back to the independent small farmers and ranchers of America, and taking our dollars away from the fast food chains, and processed "food" companies! How beautiful is that! A consumer driven force to return to simpler times where food was whole, home made, and delicious because LOVE went into it! I am proud to be an active part of this revolution! I buy only organic, and almost entirely grass fed and free range. I use only natural cosmetics, and have switched from shaving cream to coconut oil for shaving (works really well). It feels good to live a life of integrity with my values.

My household is almost 100% primal (my son still wants a few non-primal things, but for the most part he is eating this way too). I went through quite a process of cleaning out the kitchen when I started this. Every label was read, and almost everything was given to my next door neighbor (He is a pastor, and I figured people at his church might want the stuff. I know it's like poison, and I probably should have just thrown it away, but, oh well). So many of the spices and condiments had gluten or soy in them. Blecht. It made a huge difference to my success I think to do that. With nothing in the house that was non-primal (I keep my son's few items in a place relatively out of sight for me), it made it easy to stick very close to 100% Primal. For me, cravings for carbs and non Primal foods were gone after only 3 days. What a blessing! I have occasional thoughts now that I might want this or that, but they are just thoughts and don't last long. I used to get obsessions about something I wanted to eat (esp during PMS week) that would not leave until I caved in. So glad that appears to be behind me! These days I crave Swiss chard (seriously!) and roasted brussel sprouts (and I didn't even think I liked those!). My sense of taste has changed a lot. I am FAR more sensitive to sweet than I ever was (I think my body knows how toxic it is for me and wants to keep me from ingesting it).

Morning ramblings from me, more later. Off to warm up my morning eggs and pastured pork sausage patties.

5 hours into my workday. Got in a short walk outside (I am not doing my long walk today as I want to get home a little earlier tonight). It's always so good to feel the warmth of the sun on my skin.

I can tell my TOM is coming soon as I have been really bloated yesterday and today (though no difference in the scale today either, nice!) and I have been a touch irritable. (rare for me) My neighbors here at work (cubicals) are non-stop talkers (and really LOUD talkers) and I have been wanting to say some snide comments to them. The talking wouldn't be that bad if I didn't still have a healthy dose of ADHD and find it almost impossible to block out what they are saying while I am trying to work on my cases. Their topics of conversation are: alcohol (reasons to have a drink after work), prescription pills (this is mostly one person, the one closest to me who apparently really likes her Klonopin and Xanax ugh), their various illnesses (all CW diet caused!), and complaining about the job. All very negative stuff. I work hard to stay as positive as I can in my thoughts and words. I have to use a lot of energy to try and "shield" myself energetically to try and not have it effect me too much. After two 12 hours shifts back to back, and being PMS, it is getting harder. Now I never have said anything snarky to them, and it is highly unlikely I will. But, if I wasn't where I am at with myself (in other words, if this were about 15 years go) they would be in for it!

Ok rant over, I feel better.

I think I will do my food tally for the end of the day. Chocolate intake is up, but that is PMS for you. At least the kind of chocolate I consume has very little sugar and doesn't set off the sugar demon in me. Back to work. More later.

I ended up leaving work a couple of hours early due to my son being sick. I am working from home today (thank you to my boss for saying I could!) so I can be there for him.

Food yesterday:
    Breakfast:
    one scrambled egg in sausage fat
    2 sausage patties
    Lunch
    The last of the pork carnitas
    Sauteed broccoli, zucchini, and summer squash cooked in coconut oil
    Oven roasted cauliflower with herbs and olive oil
    85% dark chocolate (about 1oz)
    Dinner:
    Chicken wings (seasoned with rosemary/garlic and chili seasoning)
    Swiss chard sauteed in avocado oil with a little garlic salt
    frozen sweet dark cherries

My son was out on the couch, and I was hearing the chink chink noise of my dogs collar tags hitting a plate while he was eating something off it. I couldn't think of anything he SHOULD be eating off a plate, so I went to investigate. My son had left his plate with the chicken bones from last night's dinner on his night stand, and there was Toby, hind paws on the bed, and front paws on the night stand making a feast out of the chicken bones. He heard a couple of stern "no" commands from me, while taking the plate away. The little stinker! Good thing I heard it, I sure don't want to lose him to choking on chicken bones!

I am listening to an online radio program (spiritual topic) while working this morning. I have just had my breakfast of 6 strips of bacon and my tea (gingerbread spice and pumpkin spice with soy creamer). I really like working from home (keeps me away from those annonying neighbors!) and hopefully we will be able to do that full time soon. Working at home helps the type B part of my personality. My type A comes out when I WANT to be out and social with people. I have found in recent years that I don't have much of any interest in being social at work. For one thing, if I am socializing, I am not working, and that doesn't sit right with my work ethic.

So it is a good day so far. Hopefully my son will be feeling better soon. It is a little cloudy over the mountain behind my house this morning, the birds are about, the humming birds are visiting my feeder for them on the back porch, and I can listed to spiritual radio while I work rather than co-workers negativity. My life certainly appears to be blessed today! I hope to pass those blessings onto you. Enjoy the moment, see the good in your life, and know that you are lovable and precious just as you are (I am telling myself this as much a you!)

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wendy717 View Post
    I went through quite a process of cleaning out the kitchen when I started this. Every label was read, ... It made a huge difference to my success I think to do that. With nothing in the house that was non-primal (I keep my son's few items in a place relatively out of sight for me), it made it easy to stick very close to 100% Primal. For me, cravings for carbs and non Primal foods were gone after only 3 days. What a blessing! ... My sense of taste has changed a lot. I am FAR more sensitive to sweet than I ever was.
    Hi Wendy - this all sounds soooo much like me!!! The kitchen clean out, jumping in to almost 100%, ease of sticking to it with few cravings, and change in tastes. Even hiding my daughter's treats out of bounds to me.

Things have slid a bit cos my dh just is not interested and I have to buy him yoghurt, muesli, bread, jam. Actually that really doesn't sound so very terrible when I write it down, but they are like garbage to me now and I hate spending money on them or feeding them to my daughter. I have made the yoghurt off limits to her, it used to make me gag when I saw her eating it.

As for sweet, I can taste 1tsp of sugar in a milk custard and even carrots taste sweet to me now. My favourite fruit in the past has been nectarines, this season they are seeming over the top sweet which is a bit sad.

Page 1 of 66 1231151 ... LastLast