Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Strange side effect from ketosis: page

Uggla is offline Junior Member

Strange side effect from ketosis:

Shop Now
    One strange thing that happens to me when I get into ketosis is that I get an electric shock sensation throughout my body mostly focused on my legs and hands anytime I become stressed or I am startled. To me it seems to be attached to a neurological disorder like neuropathy, but if this is so why is it only happening when I get into ketosis?

It is not like the pins and needles you feel during a panic attack, nor is it related to anxiety in that sense, it has something to do with adrenaline I think but of course I don't know the cause.

I tried to get my doctor to help me with this she only put me on beta blockers which hardly masked the situation. I ended up having a horrid reaction to the beta blockers because I have low blood pressure normally so of course I am no longer on them but I still have this painful and dramatic side effect to ketosis.

I have been primal since 2009 and this always happens, for all these years, it is not a new thing but a constant thing.

Any ideas on why this is happening to me?
    Last edited by Uggla; 01-27-2014 at 03:27 AM.

MEversbergII is offline Senior Member
    Not a clue, but a while back when I approached ketosis I had an "electric" sensation across the back of my shoulders.

Can the limbs in question still function with this sensation?

M.

Quote Originally Posted by MEversbergII View Post
    Not a clue, but a while back when I approached ketosis I had an "electric" sensation across the back of my shoulders.

Can the limbs in question still function with this sensation?

M.
    Hi and thank you for your reply.

The shock is a shooting pain down my arms to my hands and down my legs to my feet.
    The sensation is immediate and just as fast as it comes it goes again, literally like a quick jolt of electricity.

MEversbergII is offline Senior Member
    I'd say check with the doctor again. Now that beta blockers are ruled out due to reactions, maybe they'll have another idea.

M.

Samphis is offline Member
    If you google "ketosis tingling," you'll see lots and lots of hits. It's apparently pretty common. I actually use it as a tell for when I'm in ketosis.

Quote Originally Posted by Samphis View Post
    If you google "ketosis tingling," you'll see lots and lots of hits. It's apparently pretty common. I actually use it as a tell for when I'm in ketosis.
    It is not your typical "tingling" sensation or "pins and needles" sensation you normally read about when googling this, since it has been happening to me so often I have googled it quite a bit. This is more of a serious painful very strong electric shock sensation.

Quote Originally Posted by MEversbergII View Post
    I'd say check with the doctor again. Now that beta blockers are ruled out due to reactions, maybe they'll have another idea.

M.
    Sadly both my doctor and my neurologist just seem to blow me off as always, they don't even investigate it they just want to prescribe me more medicines to mask it, for example high doses of cortisone, which I am not interested in. They always seem too busy or that they can't be bothered with my problems but this is typical of Swedish healthcare unless you have all your limbs torn off your are not their concern.

GoJenGo is offline Senior Member
    I know exactly what you're talking about - I have that any time I have a significant adrenaline rush, whether in ketosis or not. I think it might have been more pronounced when long term keto though, now that I think about it....but it seems like all things adrenaline are a little amped up while I'm in ketosis, so I never worried too much about it.

Has it EVER happened to you while not ketotic? It's kind of crazy how it's there and then gone in a flash - it subsides so abruptly.
    Last edited by GoJenGo; 01-27-2014 at 09:50 AM.
    Life is not a matter of having good cards, but of playing a poor hand well.

- Robert Louis Stevenson

Quote Originally Posted by GoJenGo View Post
    I know exactly what you're talking about - I have that any time I have a significant adrenaline rush, whether in ketosis or not. I think it might have been more pronounced when long term keto though, now that I think about it....but it seems like all things adrenaline are a little amped up while I'm in ketosis, so I never worried too much about it.

Has it EVER happened to you while not ketotic? It's kind of crazy how it's there and then gone in a flash - it subsides so abruptly.
    Hi thanks so very much for your reply! It is relieving to know I am not alone in this strange reaction. It can happen out of ketosis as well but not nearly as much and most defiantly not as intense.

There must be some rational explanation for this condition, I have only connected it to neuropathy when trying to research it, at least that is the only thing which sounds close to what I am describing.

I read diabetic and pre-diabetic conditions can bring on neuropathy which has left me concerned since my mother, grandmother, and aunt had diabetes. I am going tomorrow morning to take a fasting blood test to test for diabetes, so that will at least rule that out.
    -Nú mun hon søkkvask.

http://www.instagram.com/old_hag

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    Maybe it's not a "condition", not something that needs medical treatment. I assume you use ketosis because you have metabolic syndrome. Metabolic syndrome can reverse on this way of eating, even without full-on ketosis every day. Eventually you may not have this problem, or else it may become less severe, if you just let yourself get healthy.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast