Thread: Cod liver oil if I already take omega 3 & multivitamin? page

NoMoreGrains is offline Member

Cod liver oil if I already take omega 3 & multivitamin?

Shop Now
    I currently take 4 1200 mg fish oil supplements along with 1 multivitamin daily. I've also been eating good canned fish (sardines, herring, or tuna) every day, and try to get at least 3-4 wild caught salmon fillets per week. I also eat a ton of conventional eggs, beef, and pork. I'm interested in getting a cod liver oil supplement. Do you think this is necessary, or is it over doing it with the omega 3s?

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NoMoreGrains View Post
    I currently take 4 1200 mg fish oil supplements along with 1 multivitamin daily. I've also been eating good canned fish (sardines, herring, or tuna) every day, and try to get at least 3-4 wild caught salmon fillets per week. I also eat a ton of conventional eggs, beef, and pork. I'm interested in getting a cod liver oil supplement. Do you think this is necessary, or is it over doing it with the omega 3s?
    While the A and D are necessary, the cod liver oil is not. Most CLO has far to much vitamin A in ratio to vitamin D to be beneficial.

There are some pretty good indicators that we need about 1000 IU vitamin d3 per 25 lbs body weight (in the absence of significant UV exposure) to maintain 25(OH)D levels in the optimum range and I suspect that the amount of A we need daily is about 1/6th of that. And A doesn't need to be taken daily, it can be taken once a week or even less frequently as it does store effeciently.

See my links below for more info on D and various other topics. I take A and D in addition to my fish oil and do pay attention to Ω3:Ω6 ratios in my diet overall.

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

JeanPatrick is offline Senior Member
    why not just eat some fish and some foods high in vit A (liver for example). And supplement with fish oil if you need it.

I try to get the most I can from my food and the sun.
    Living the hard way has never been so easy!
    My paleo website : www.primaljournal.com

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    Your omega 3 intake should be determined by your omega 6 tissue concentration. If you have more omega 6 in your tissues you should be taking in more omega 3 than 6. Most people really can't get enough omega 3 in the first few months of beginning to take it. You definitely don't want more omega 3 than 6 but if you're taking in a lot of omega 6 that probably won't be possible. Ideally we want to just consume less omega 6 so we don't have to balance it with omega 3 but that's not always possible

As Cillakat explained, cod liver oil is really more for vitamin A and D and it's easy to overdo it. I think that a bit of cod liver oil is potentially a good thing under certain conditions but if you're eating all of those eggs I don't see it being necessary.
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!