Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 5% carbs, 70-80% fat and 15-15% protein page

robmedina is offline Member

5% carbs, 70-80% fat and 15-15% protein

Primal Fuel
    OK so I keep seeing these numbers as the daily recommended food intake- 5% carbs, 70-80% fat and 15-15% protein.
    Can someone give me a few examples of daily meals that would make up this ratio? I obviously know what the carbs are- and the protein, but the fat, I don't see where it can come from.
    It seems like all I see for fat intake is heavy cream or butter. I need more understanding- please.
    Thank you!

Zed
    Zed is offline Senior Member
    One word: Meat. Get your fats from fatty cuts of meat (i.e., chicken legs/drumsticks/wings/thighs, chuck steaks or any other steaks that you see marbling) and added fat, such as coconut oil/milk/lard/tallow. Eggs have fat too! Eat eggs (pastured eggs or omega 3 enriched eggs)!

It is not hard to have your fat intake at around 70-80%, especially if you eating fatty cuts of meat.

Primal Toad is offline Senior Member
    About 50-80% of my calories come from fat - usually in the middle somewhere. Eat animals like he said for fat and protein. I also enjoy a lot of coconut milk and cook with coconut oil of I don't have bacon fat on hand.

Avocados are excellent too. Don't forget fish and take some fish oil! I usually eat 4 eggs a day - lots of fat and protein.

For your carbs - make it veggies and berries. I eat 10-20% carbs so I eat a lot of veggies and fruit too.
    Find me at aToadontheRoad.com. Cheers!

Autumn is offline Member
    robmedina, your not alone in this! I have trouble too reaching just 70 % fat! I end up with 50 - 65 % and 30 - 40 % protein.

This is for today (planned meals just to get fat) Cals: 1,720, fat: 115.0 g, Carbs: 24.7 g, Protein: 138.4 g = 60 % fat, 34 % protein and 6 % carbs ... is it way off, I don't know? Only non meat today is half a glass of milk and a cup of raw broccoli just to get some fiber. Other than that I can't get fat up and I munch bacon and eggs and chicken all day long. If I through in a BAS the carbs go way above 5 % but still under 150 carbs but the fat and protein percentage goes way down. Even one apple will tip the scale. After starting this fatty diet I'm almost never hungry which kinda adds to the problem since I can't/won't force feed myself.

Yesterdays food: cals: 2,857, fat: 159.9 g, carbs: 71.8 g, protein: 277.1 g (had a rough workout and my muscles hate me today! Which is why I tried for many protein) = 50 % fat, 41 % protein and 9 % carbs.

My main problem is getting protein down and fat up. 3 times as many proteins as required can't be good when it's not the exception once in a while but more like several times a week.

robmedina, you may get some ideas for what food contains what from this site: www.fitday.com It's a bit flawed but an okay guideline. You can actually plan a whole day’s food by trying to get the numbers to fit and throw into the equation what ever you have in the cooler. Also heavy cream and butter (dairy in general) has a lot of carbs considering the fat you need. Oil and animal fat drippings can be used for multiple things and will help you get more fats. But as you can see from my examples ... not enough! I use the bacon fat from my breakfast cooking as the fat to braise chicken for snack meat later. Oh, and eat the skin – good and fatty.

An avocado twice a week is good fat ... uhm with shrimps, home made mayonnaise, hard boiled eggs, fresh lemon juice and of course 7-10 slices of bacon! Now there's a slice of heaven with about 20 carbs.

Autumn

chima_p is offline Senior Member
    There is no magic in percentages.

Set Carbs 0-150g
    Set Prot .8-1.5g/lbs LBM
    Set Fat as balance of calories depending on goals.

Let percentages fall where they may.

rphlslv is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chima_p View Post

Set Carbs 0-150g
    Set Prot .8-1.5g/lbs LBM

Exactly.
    .`.><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>
    ><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>

elorajade is offline Senior Member
    Actually I beleive that Rob was having some IR issues, which means that he does need to keep his carbs on the lower end of the scale to loose weight.

Rob, to answer your question, I tend to have a tbsp of coconut oil in my coffee.

Make scrambled eggs with a tbsp of fat (bacon grease, butter)

heck the other night I put 2 tbsp of butter on my broccoli, it all melted into the crannies and yummo!

When I need a last minute "fat boost", I'll take a tbsp or 2 of coconut oil, a tbsp of grated (unsweetened) coconut, a touch of stevia and a tsp of cocoa powder. Yummy maccaroons.

Oddly, the more fat I eat, the faster my own weight falls. This is sooooo weird for me.

I need to eat fewer calories than you do. So, yesterday for example, I ate:

Coffee with coconut oil
    4 eggs scrambled with ham and 2tbsp butter
    dinner was 2 market sausages with saurkraut and mustard

I did a farmers market last night, so eating is weird for me on wednesdays. I actually couldn't finish the last sausage. I'm shocked at how little food I eat and then get full. Sometimes its a real struggle to get over 1300 calories.

GaTo is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chima_p View Post

Set Carbs 0-150g
    Set Prot .8-1.5g/lbs LBM

excellent post!

hbeck is offline Senior Member
    Fatty meats, good oils (olive, coconut...hell, anything coconut), butter, greek yogurt (full fat), and heavy cream if you do dairy.

+1 on chima's post

Spinner is offline Senior Member
    If I need to up the fat, I add extra olive oil to my salads--just straight oo, no acid, double the butter on veg and in my eggs. Heavy (whipping) cream in my coffee, even just on a spoon! Fatty meats, chicken skin, bacon, avocado...

I used dailyburn for my tracking--I like it because you can adjust the ratios for fat, protien and carb to what your goals are and it doesn't yell at you.
    Every day is another stitch in the quilt of life.
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    Re-Start date 6/23/2011
    me--Post pregnancy --mama to a beautiful baby boy--
    273.4/269.3/115
    Hubby--230/227.8/165

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast