Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Being Frugal page

Hannakb is offline Senior Member

Being Frugal

Shop Now
    So I don't know if there is a thread like this already but anyone have any frugal tips?
    On any part of life?

My mum is a seamstress and has turn dresses/skirts that people have given to us (instead of tossing them) into new dresses & skirts for my daughters.

We grow some of our own food, make our own compost.

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    You don't need any store-bought household cleaners. You can mix 1:10 vinegar:water in a spray bottle. You can use baking soda and water as toothpaste. zturn the heat down. Use flourescent of LED lights. If your power's cheaper at night, do laundry before you go to bed and put it in the dryer in the morning.

Don't buy the following items at the dollar store (you pay 1/2 as much and use 3 or 4 times as many):

Dish soap
    Dish sponges
    Paper towels
    Toilet paper
    The Champagne of Beards

TQP
    TQP is offline Senior Member

Being Frugal

Frozen produce over fresh (usually cheaper not always).

Buy in bulk when food stuff is on sale; freeze.

Only shop for clothes at turn of the seasons sales (usually starting new year and last week of June) for last season's clothes.

Thrift/garage sale shop.

Go to hair schools for basic trims and cuts.

Know how to trim your own bangs, or don't have bangs at all as they are expensive to maintain. I don't get salon haircuts ever because it is just so much money.

Don't ever buy a beauty product that does not flatter YOU. Try it before buying. Tons of females have tons of makeup they bought because it looked cute on a celeb or because it is the IT color of the season.

Coupons. Use them. Be it it's a code online (retailmenot), or coupons.com, or at your local HEB (omg I miss Texas HEB for this reason... Saved 40% some times).

Drink/smoke less... If you can. XD

Superfluous spending: Starbucks, subscriptions (magazines, services) you don't use, eating out more than 1x a week when you don't travel, etc.

Groupon deals. Can be used to your advantage (you wanted to try something anyway) or to your detriment (you wouldn't have bought that yogurt maker if you didn't see deal on it).
    Last edited by TQP; 01-26-2014 at 05:45 PM.
    New journal AQUI... where we chat, cuss, and post offensive stuff.

Gelatin/bone broth recipes blog. (Latest recipe: Easy Banana Soft Serve)

Professional Style Digital Magazine. Most recent feature: Madlena, Model, Animal Activist, Psychology Student

Elegance is not the prerogative of those who have just escaped from adolescence, but of those who have already taken possession of their future.
    - Coco Chanel

Quote Originally Posted by DinoHunter View Post
    If were going by butt size I must have an IQ of at least 200

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    Good ones, TP.
    The Champagne of Beards

Elliot is offline Senior Member
    Learn some of the local edible wild plants. You can also grow your own food.

TQP
    Oh and this is only applicable if you are in a densely populated area like me and have access to a multitude of grocery stores within a few blocks: comparison shop and keep a running list of which stores has the weekly sales and which stores has the lowest non-sale price. Key Food's lamb is $6.99 regular but $3.99-4.99 sale. Butcher shop is $5.99. Korean grocer has the cheapest fruits and middle Eastern spice store has the cheapest artisan cheese unless Key Foods/Trader Joe's have sales.

The Salvation Army around me has a 50% off everything sale on Wednesday. Another thrift store has sales every holiday. I haven't started thrifting again but I already have the relevant research on file.

Professional Style Digital Magazine. Most recent feature: Madlena, Model, Animal Activist, Psychology Student

Elegance is not the prerogative of those who have just escaped from adolescence, but of those who have already taken possession of their future.
    - Coco Chanel

TQP
    Frugal beauty tricks I learned from broke makeup artists/models:

-crushed aspirin + honey + yogurt (three types of weak acids) masks instead of acid peels.
    -baking soda + cheap shampoo instead of "deep cleaning" shampoo. Don't use too often.
    - leftover coffee grounds instead of cellulite cream/scrubs (main ingredient is always caffeine anyway). Use in shower and it's very messy, but you smell like coffee afterwards. Good for body exfoliation before the beach too.
    -milk of magnesia as a toner (if you have oily skin)
    -baby powder as dry shampoo (I think most peeps know this)
    -baby wipes as makeup remover on the go
    -to travel light and look fabulous for a one-time big event, go to your local sephora at your destination city (learned this from a broke actress lol... Haven't used it yet but I might).
    -generally, quality over quantity... Makeup, products, clothes, food, entertainment.
    -(Oh and fashion-related: if you are short/petite shop in the juniors/teen section. Always cheaper for the same stuff. )

- Coco Chanel

Jefferson1775 is online now Senior Member
    Craigslist is pretty useful. A lot of used stuff is just as functional as if it was new, and there are no taxes or regulations to raise the cost.
    In matters of style, swim with the current. In matters of principle, stand like a rock.

This message has been intercepted by the NSA, the only branch of government that listens.

nettasaura is offline Senior Member
    Instead of buying new clothes, learn how to refashion/upcycle what you have into new functional pieces. Pinterest is a wealth of ideas for this.

Also instead of buying new clothes if yours are worn out and you like the refashion idea, hit up the sales at the thrift stores ($1.29 Mondays at Goodwill rock! My local St. Vincent duPaul has 99 cent Sundays, but Goodwill carries better quality clothes than both SVdP and Value Village) and buy clothes that are 2-3 sizes too big for you. Technically you will be looking more at the fabric of the item rather than the style. This will give you plenty of extra fabric to work with.

Use Pinterest to find ideas on how to make a lot of household items/products with things you already have in the house.

Don't buy books, use the library - both physical, audio, and digital loans.

Also, if you have a Kindle, Amazon has tons of free books every single day...I've got about 1,000 on mine from the last 2 years that were free and I still haven't gotten to most of them yet.

iTunes has a new free song or two every Tuesday, so far I've liked all but a handful of them. Amazon has a lot of free MP3 songs and sampler albums that are free too.

Cancel your cable and just pay for one or two streaming services like Netflix/Hulu. We've been cable free for almost 6 years now and we don't miss it at all. We've saved hundreds this way.

Several major networks show episodes of shows right on their websites, free of charge.

You can recycle a lot of packaging materials into functional household items...again Pinterest!

Got a store with a membership card that racks up fuel points, use it. We recently did not renew our Costco membership because we were mainly keeping it for the lower gas prices. We've been earning enough with our Fred Meyer card to get gas between 10 to 60 cents cheaper than Costco.

Phone apps like Shopkick, ReceiptHog, Checkpoints, and iBotta (this one not so much anymore after dropping the processed food stuffs), can help you earn money or gift cards to other stores/venues.

MEversbergII is online now Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Rice. Sigh.

Big Lots! Woo!

No car. Ride bike.

Use condoms.

Wear things until they have holes in them. Continue to wear them (especially shoes).

M.

Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast