Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on heart disease page

James Ming is offline Senior Member

Thoughts on heart disease

Shop Now
    Finally got cleared on my cholesterol numbers. As it turns out, My high HDL/ high cholesterol is nothing to be concerned about... Just like I thought. (WOOT! 4 months of laboring to find a way to eat that satisfies both a nutritionist's and my own preferences just to find out that what I was doing before was completely fine!) Needless to say I'm loving the influx of egg yolks right now.

Anyway, so I was thinking and it occurred to me that the whole Lipid Hypothesis that screwed up America's idea of a healthy diet/lifestyle was created in response to the fact that heart disease ALREADY plagued the US (1950's).. So why? Accepting the fact that vegetable oils and margarine were already in use, also that fast food was a new and popular idea, compared to today it was nothing! So what do people think was responsible for such a supposed prevalence of arterial havoc? Just a thought..

picklepete is offline Senior Member
    Probably general decline of meal culture--IIRC home-cooked meals went from ~90% in 1900 to ~70% by 1950 to ~50% in 2000, and the definition of "home-cooked" changed a lot. Science could do no wrong after WW2 so folks didn't question the rise of frozen meals and miracle ingredients.

About oils, this image starts in 1961 but you could extrapolate backward a bit. Also:

35//6'3"/180

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

Elliot is offline Senior Member
    Smoking may have been involved

poing is offline Member
    My top three:

stress, especially financial pressure, lack of job security today, and loss of family support networks

calorie surplus, but especially the increase in PUFAs and sugars together in prepared foods.

increased use of technology, which brings with it a sedentary lifestyle, exposure to EMFs and unnatural light.

MEversbergII is offline Senior Member
    If there was a spike in heart disease in the 50's, the cause(s) are likely back in the 30's or 20's. It takes a while to develop - we're pretty robust.

M.

MarielleGO is online now Senior Member
    I honestly don't think you can blame fats for the heart disease issues of these times. I think stresses and the insane amount of salt and sugar that people eat these days and no exercise are the main causes.
    Yes, if you are already living an unhealthy lifestyle and already eat only bad stuff, high fat won't help.
    But I honestly think that more progress can be made by people eating less sugar and dump their car for those short distances.
    My story, My thought....

It's all about trying to stay healthy!!!!

Calories? Aren't that those little creatures that live in my closet and shrink my clothes at night?
    AN EARTH WARRIOR!!!!

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Meth....could it be that "pep pills" also played a role?

I mean all the standard replies apply. This one just seemed more original.
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 01-27-2014 at 11:41 AM.

poing is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MarielleGO View Post
    I honestly don't think you can blame fats for the heart disease issues of these times. I think stresses and the insane amount of salt and sugar that people eat these days and no exercise are the main causes.
    Yes, if you are already living an unhealthy lifestyle and already eat only bad stuff, high fat won't help.
    But I honestly think that more progress can be made by people eating less sugar and dump their car for those short distances.
    As I understand it, fat is not completely blameless. Fat and sugar use similar processing pathways... excess sugar being converting into fats by the liver. Eating both at the same time can cause those pathways to become completely overloaded. In the context where sugar is already causing damage, fat - and especially PUFA - can exacerbate the problem.

No doubt someone will pop up and tell me I've misunderstood some important detail, nevermind...

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MarielleGO View Post
    Salt together with fatty or carb rich food makes you often eat more, but nothing wrong with salt unless you have hypertension! And the same with sugar, it is pretty energy dense and in combination with refined carbs and fats it drives your appetite for more...

TheyCallMeLazarus is offline Senior Member
    As a side note, I always feel like Gorbag is yelling at me with his !!!! I realized this is just something he does, so I am better now

I will not put forth another of my 2000 word essays on heart disease, so suffice it to say that it is now commonly understood in medicine that coronary artery disease is not a disease of lipid imbalance, but of inflammation. Inflammation is brought on by various things that everyone can discuss, but the lipid hypothesis has been quite thoroughly trashed in the scientific community. A lot of people still argue about it, however it is starting to feel like last year's war. It is over now, thank God.
    "They now look to a single and splendid government of an aristocracy, founded on banking institutions, and moneyed incorporations under the guise and cloak of their favored branches of manufactures, commerce and navigation, riding and ruling over the plundered ploughman and beggared yeomanry." - Thomas Jefferson, 1826

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast